1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 11, 2013 10:47 AM by Mark_Rausch

How to use Adobe Edge Inspect

Barbara Ash Adobe Community Professional

I managed to install Edge Inspect on my desktop computer and on my iPad. However, I've not been able to figure out how to use it from the very brief instructions on Adobe's web page.

Does anyone know where I can find detailed instructions?

• 1. Re: How to use Adobe Edge Inspect
          Mark_Rausch Adobe Employee

Hi Barbara,

I know that there are more detailed instructions that come with the install that should appear in your browser once you've started things up on your computer, but I can give you a few basic pointers here. Feel free to ask about anything specific you're stuck on. Since you've already installed the desktop component and the iPad app, I'll skip mentioning that.

1. Make sure you have the latest version of Chrome installed on your desktop, then go get the Edge Inspect Chrome extension for it and install that https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/adobe-edge-inspect/ijoeapleklopieoejahbpdnhkjjgd dem?hl=en
          2. Start the desktop application
          3. Look for the "In" logo in the top right of Chrome and verify that it is not grayed out. If it's enabled, it means that the Chrome extension is talking to the desktop application
          4. Make sure that any firewall software on your desktop is off or at least that it's set to allow Edge Inspect to communicate on port 7682
          5. Make sure your iPad is connected to the same network that your desktop computer is on.
          6. Start the Edge Inspect application on the iPad and either wait for the iPad to find your desktop computer, or click the + button in the upper right on the iPad to manually enter the IP address shown in the top part of the dialog that opens when you click the Edge Inspect icon in Chrome.

Really that's about it. Your iPad should connect to the desktop and the iPad will synchronously browse to the same pages as you do in Chrome. You ought to be able to remotely inspect the DOM on the device and should be able to take snapshots of any pages shown on your iPad.

Let us know if you have any questions,

Mark