8 Replies Latest reply: Jan 18, 2013 8:36 AM by SolSuzy RSS

Tabbed documents

community help Community Member

This question was posted in response to the following article: http://help.adobe.com/en_US/framemaker/using/WSB3F48087-E881-4581-8703-E636CE259898.html

• 1. Re:  Tabbed documents
          karendesign12

I don't understand why the tab remains visible after clearing the "open documents as tabs" checkbox. In a floating window, the tab only wastes vertical space--and it duplicates the Windows window frame that already contains both the file name and a close "X". The tab is redundant and should not appear at all once that preference is chosen.

• 2. Re:  Tabbed documents
            Arnis Gubins ACP/MVPs

Karen,

There's a Preferences setting that hides the single tab. In the same Preferences panel (Edit > Preferences > Interface > Documents section) enable the "Hide Single Tabs in Documents" option.

Hide_single_tabs.png

• 3. Re:  Tabbed documents
              FieryPantone Community Member

Unimportant question that falls neatly under the same heading: say I have six documents in a book open, plus the book panel, and I reach the stage of creating a brand-new ToC for the book. Why does it (tend to) open in a new tab that isn't neatly integrated with the other six? anything I can tweak to correct this?  N

• 4. Re:  Tabbed documents
                Jeff_Coatsworth MVP

Not sure what you mean by "neatly integrated with the other[s]"? Maybe a screenshot of what you're seeing would help.

• 5. Re:  Tabbed documents
                  mattrsullivan Community Member

Niels, I agree with you. I've posted this at adobe.com/go/wish as a bug, and suggest you and others do the same.

It's frustrating to new and old users alike to have the generated docs open into their own window, on top of all of the tabbed windows. It's easy enough to use the Arrange Documents button(in menu bar) the windows, but frustrating that the windows need to be rearranged each time the docs are opened. These files should open and display exactly as the chapter files would.arrange-docs.gif

Here's an example of the behavior, although I believe it only happens when creating a new generated file (i.e after opening the file initially, the file opens as expected.)fm-genfile-error.gif

The real frustration is that when attempting to access a tabbed doc, the TOC remains on top, and hides the view of the "active" doc.

-Matt

@mattrsullivan

• 6. Re:  Tabbed documents
                    karendesign12 Community Member

You're right, that's what it's supposed to do. But that's not what happened yesterday. I will try to replicate the steps and see if it was an anomaly, but in fact that tab appeared in the single (floating) document window even though it should not have. A couple of times, the topmost (floating) window bar also disappeared, leaving only the tab bar as the topmost element of that window!

I have also noticed that if I want to drag those document windows around, the background window frequently overlays them during drag. Disconcerting and not proper window behavior; the window on which an action is taking place should remain the frontmost window, shouldn't suddenly be partially hidden behind the background window.

• 7. Re:  Tabbed documents
                      FieryPantone Community Member

@ Jeff – See Matt's helpful example

@ Matt – thanks!

N

• 8. Re:  Tabbed documents
                        SolSuzy

LOL!  I'm upgrading from an older version of FrameMaker and trying to learn all new features. "Walk a mile in my shoes..."