10 Replies Latest reply on Jan 17, 2013 5:40 AM by MartinMende05

Another CS6 Worksation Build Proposal for review and comment

MartinMende05

Hi All,

I've put together the following video editing system build after reading this forum for many months and would really appreciate any feedback or comments. Of particular interest are comments on the hard disk setup, location of the media cache and connection speed and disk size allocation. I'm trying to put together a fast, stable, easily managed system from a file management perspective for home video editing using CS6. Video Editing will be the primary task for this workstation but it will also be the main desktop PC in the house for other general computing purposes.

Motherboard:ASROCK Extreme 11
      CPU:Intel 3930K
      Memory:GSkill 1600MHZ RipjawsZ  PC12800 8 x 8 64gb
      Graphics Card:EVGA 4G GTX680 Classified 04G-P4-3688-KR
      Power Supply:Corsair AX1200i
      Case:Coolmaster Cosmos II Black
      Optical Drive:Pioneer BDR-207DBKS Black 12X Blu-Ray Writer
      ( 1 X 3gb SATA connection )
      CPU Cooler / Fan:Noctua NH-D14 Socket 2011 Special Edition CPU Cooler
      Software / OS:Windows 8 Pro 64 bit
      Storage:
      C Drive:  OS, Programs, PagefileSamsung Series 840 Pro SSD 512gb
      ( 1 x 6gb SATA connection )
      D Drive:Media, Projects2 x WD Velociraptor 10000 rpm HDD 1 TB ( RAID 0 ) = 2TB TOTAL
      ( 2 x 3gb SATA connections )
      E Drive:Previews, Exports, Media CacheSamsung Series 840 Pro 512gb SATA 3 6GB/s SSD ( RAID 0 ) = 1024gb TOTAL
      ( 2 x 6gb SATA connections )
      F Drive: Backup 2 X 3TB Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM HDD ( RAID 1 )
      ( 2 x 3gb SATA connection )

I chose the ASROCK Extreme 11 due to the number of SATA3 ports. I haven't found any other 2011 socket mb's with the amount of SATA ports I require. Any alternatives recommended ?

My understanding is that HDD's wont benefit from a 6gb SATA3 connection so there is no point using these ports for any HDD - is this correct ?

I have viewed Todd's 'Optimizing Hard Disk Video' where he puts the Media Cache on the C drive. Where would you recommend the Media Cache be placed ?

My intention is to backup everything from both D & E RAID 0 volumes to F drive. I note some systems and recommendations have the exports being written directly to the larger, slower backup HDD but doesn't this mean the export takes longer to write ? I am assuming I am better off writing out my export file to a fast SDD and then backing up to my F: HDD later.

Any comments on the size of my E drive for Preview, Export, Media Cache...would 2 x 256gb drives in RAID 0 be adequate, considering I'm using this drive purely as temporary storage.

I also acknowledge that the C drive at 512gb may be overkill but I'd rather not run out of space there, especially if I need to use that drive for the pagefile and media cache or anything else recommended.

I look forward to reading your comments and suggestions and really appreciate any feedback / alternatives suggested.

Kind Regards

Martin.

• 1. Re: Another CS6 Worksation Build Proposal for review and comment
          EBuzzell

You're going to need a raid controller for that many harddrives to be efficient, if I am not mistaken.

• 2. Re: Another CS6 Worksation Build Proposal for review and comment
            MartinMende05 Level 1

Hi EBuzzell - Thanks for the reply.

My understanding is that the ASRock Extreme 11 has an onboard RAID controller - the LSI SAS 2308 PCIe 3.0 controller

I am assuming this will be sufficient for the RAID 0 configurations of my D & E drives ?

I'd appreciate any other comments on whether this MB can support the disk configuration I have outlined, as this is why I have also selected this motherboard, to avoid having to buy a separate RAID controller card.

Kind Regards

Martin.

• 3. Re: Another CS6 Worksation Build Proposal for review and comment
              EBuzzell Level 1

Ah, I am not familiar with this onboard controller. I did a little research and it seems that not many people have done raid setups with this motherboard. I'm fairly confident the controller should be sufficient for the Raid setups of your D and E drives but as far as having a 3rd raid on the same motherboard, I am not certain. The more cache availiable for that many drives, the better.

• 4. Re: Another CS6 Worksation Build Proposal for review and comment
                Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If I had the money right now for a new build it would be the ASRock X79 Extreme11.  HARM and I have 34 test results from Asrock boards in our PPBM5 results.  The Extreme9 boards currently are placed at 3, 10, 12, and 21 which is a great showing.  While we do not yet have an Extreme11 board results,that would be my choice for a LGA 3011 motherboard and precisely because of the number of SATA III connections. There is nothing wrong with the LSI 2308 chip for RAID 0 operations or just single drive SATA III connections.

• 5. Re: Another CS6 Worksation Build Proposal for review and comment
                  MartinMende05 Level 1

Thanks for the reply Bill - much appreciated ! Any comments on the size allocated for the E drive, where to put the media cache and where to write the Exports out to ?

Harm - would appreciate any comments you have regarding the above build

Cheers Martin.

• 6. Re: Another CS6 Worksation Build Proposal for review and comment
                    Harm Millaard Level 7

My intial reaction was, what a costly motherboard. Sure it has advantages in more SATA ports than any other, but still it is pretty expensive. OTOH it got great reviews and saves you a dedicated raid controller.

The rest of the configuration looks quite nice and that was the reason I did not reply earlier. Everything appears to be in order. One thing you may consider is exchanging the DDR3-1600 sticks for 2133 sticks, if the price difference is not extreme.

You mentioned it yourself, 512 GB for the boot disk is extreme. You can easily get by with 128 or 256 GB, especially since you intend the other two Samsung SSD's for media cache use.

• 7. Re: Another CS6 Worksation Build Proposal for review and comment
                      MartinMende05 Level 1

Hi Harm,

Thanks for the feedback - very much appreciated.

The reason I chose the 1600mhz sticks instead of 2133mhz was because of stability fears, not because of price.

Also, I don't think I have seen any 64gb memory kits running at 2133mhz ?

If you think using the 2133mhz memory is worthwhile and stable, and gives a valuable performance boost I will consider that upgrade.

The GSkill 1600mhz is 1.5 volts and I have read concerns on this forum about using that voltage.

I'd really appreciate any suggestions from anyone about what 64gb 2133 mhz memory kit to purchase that is stable and runs well with an ASrock Extreme 11 motherboard and the 3930k processor.

As per other posts on this forum regarding memory, I'd rather have more memory over faster memory, hence why I am going for 64gb straight away.

As to the C drive size, I'll consider scaling that back to 256gb

Thanks again for reviewing and taking the time to comment.

Cheers Martin.

• 8. Re: Another CS6 Worksation Build Proposal for review and comment
                        Harm Millaard Level 7

On this page http://ppbm7.com/index.php/the-price-tag you will find the links to all components I used for my own build, including the 2133 memory. I have been running 64 GB @ 2180 MHz without any problem at 1.5V.

• 9. Re: Another CS6 Worksation Build Proposal for review and comment
                          MartinMende05 Level 1

Hi Harm,

Thanks for the reply and link,

The G-SKILL 64gb 2133 mhz F3-17000CL11Q2-64GBZLD memory kit that you use looks great but unfortunately the ASRock Extreme 11 motherboard is not on the qualified motherboards list for this kit.

I have sent both G-Skill and Asrock emails to enquire what 64gb 8 x 8 2133mhz kit they recommend for the ASROCK Extreme 11. Hopefully the above kit will still be ok even if it is not on the qualified list ?

The difference in price between a 1600mhz kit ( $379 Australian Dollars ) verses 2133mhz ( $595 AU ) seems reasonable, considering the amount I'm spending on the rest of the system, so I think I'll spend a bit more to get the faster memory.

From what I can see, there are not many 64gb kits out there and none I can find that are specifically recommended for the ASRock Extreme 11 motherboard.

If anyone has any suggestions in this regard I'd definitely welcome the advice

Cheers Martin

• 10. Re: Another CS6 Worksation Build Proposal for review and comment
                            MartinMende05 Level 1

Hi All,

Sadly no reply from G-Skill or ASRock.

Can anybody advise what 64gb 8 x 8 2133mhz kit they recommend for the ASROCK Extreme 11 ?

Any other ASROCK Extreme 11 users out there with 64mb running at 2133mhz ?

Any responses would be appreciated.

Cheers Martin.