2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 9, 2013 8:51 AM by jmlevy

linking the content and making applying changes more easily

MNomme

I'm working with InDesign 5.5.

I have three catalogues. They have a similar content and I need to úpdate very often, thus, I'm looking for a convinient solution.

I was wondering whether there is an option, that if I make updates to content in catalogue "A", then in catalogue "B" it will also be updated. Sort of linking the content.

So far I have worked like this: when made the changes to catalogue "A", then afterwards made the changes to catalogue "B" and "C", but it's very time consuming.

• 1. Re: linking the content and making applying changes more easily
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

There are a few possibilities, and which is best will depend on how the catalogs are built.

First would be to make single-page files and combine them in InDesign Books as required for the differnt catalogs. The pages would be identical (except for page numbering, which you'll need to update constantly and watch like a hawk) and you edit the original file. Not good with cross-refernces, though.

Next would be to place pages from one file into other files. In this case I would not add page markers to to the "master" document. Again, all placed pages would be identical and editing would be done in the master file. Same issue with cross-refs.

Finally you can also links stories from document to document (Edit > Place and Link) in CS5.5. If you don't need to change the formatting, this might be a the best solution if, for example, the catalogs have different page formats. You could even consider using Alternate Layouts for multiple catalogs in one file.

• 2. Re: linking the content and making applying changes more easily
            jmlevy Adobe Community Professional

You can export your text to InCopy, even if you don't own the software. See this excellent tip from Bob Bringhurst. You can also use this panel based onthe Bob Bringhurst tip, written by Stéphane Baril, but you have to know that it is in French.