10 Replies Latest reply on Jan 16, 2013 2:53 PM by OwenL_Adobe

PS Elements catalog problems from Album Starter Edition

OwenL_Adobe

I have PS Elements 11 installed on my new notebook. I have copied all my photos from my old PC into the Photos folder on the notbook (running Windows7).  I then imported them into PS Elements. I had them all catalogued on the PC under PS Album  Starter Edition. I have copied the  the catalog  .psa file as suggested in the instructions &  used the convert command under Elements' Manage Calalogs. Everything seemd to go as expected; all my 'Collections' came in as 'Albums' & all my Tags are there.. But  none of the images are being read. All the thumbnails are the generic flower image. It seems tthe catalog is still pointing to the old D: drive on my PC& it wants me to "connect the external drive".  What have I done wrong? Have can I fix this?  I have nearly 9000 photos & hundreds of tags etc.  I will break my heart to lose the cataloging.

• 1. Re: PS Elements catalog problems from Album Starter Edition
          andaleebfatima1 Adobe Employee

Your tags are anyway there. You just need to reconnect your files to their new location on this new machine. When you double click a files, it must be showing you reconnect dialog?

Browse to the new location for just one file and PSE11 Organizer should then be able to reconnect all the files. You might need to manually assist in between.

Thanks

Andaleeb

• 2. Re: PS Elements catalog problems from Album Starter Edition
            OwenL_Adobe Level 1

The catalog seems to be stuck on thinking the files are still on my old PC. (You can see the address as the D: drive where they used to be). Whatever I try it keeps asking me to connect the "external drive", so it can find them to connect.

I just spoke to a support person from Adobe on a chat - & he says I cannot do it the conversion directly into PSE11 on my notebook. I have to use the workaround outlined at http://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/multi/photoshop-album-starter-edition-support.html

which involves uploading the files & catalog file (.psa file) via a temporary trial version of PSE11 I will have to load onto my old PC. Then I think I can import it all back down to my new notebook, presumably suitable converted. The instructions are not very clear, so I will have to leave it till I have more time & energy.

Thanks for response. I will report the outcome.

Has anyone had experience with this?

• 3. Re: PS Elements catalog problems from Album Starter Edition
              OwenL_Adobe Level 1

I have spent some more time on this now. There are so many reasons why it just doesn't work.

eg they want you to upload your photos & Starter Edition catalog to Photoshop.com via PS Elements 11.

But I now can't get PS Elements to recognise my Starter Edition catalog at all.

Also the limit on Photoshop.com is 2Gig. I have about 9Gig of images. (Could do in batches maybe.)

Also the instructions do not explain how to get everything eventually to PSE 11 - presumably you download again into Elements 11 & it should convert OK if it goes via Photoshop.com.

Anyway, nothing I try is working. Very frustrating.

There must be a simple way! All the information is there. It just needs a reliable conversion app.

Why won't Adobe provide this?

My excitement at getting PS Elements 11 is turning sour.

• 4. Re: PS Elements catalog problems from Album Starter Edition

What if you download free trial of PSE11 on your PC and then convert your PSA catalog on the PC itself. Then take a full backup (which will bring along all files from your PC onto an external hard drive) and restore on MAC.

I think you should take this hit and I'm sure this will work.

Thanks

Andaleeb

• 5. Re: PS Elements catalog problems from Album Starter Edition
                  OwenL_Adobe Level 1

Thanks so much, Andaleeb, for your interest in my problem.

The last idea I had was similar to your suggestion - to connect my new

notebook (on which I have PSE11) to the old PC (which has Starter Edition

on it), using Peer to Peer by wireless, so the notebook could see the files

on the PC.

Then Import the images into PSE11 from the "external drive" - this I

managed to do fairly easily.

Then I thought I should be able to access the Catalog file on the PC, in a

similar way from the notebook via the wireless connection.

My thinking was that it then should not be confused about where the images

were actually located; and I would then be able to send a backup

instruction from PSE11 to the files on the PC; and THEN - restore from that

backup, and using the fact that when restoring, PSE11 asks if you want to

relocate the files and catalog to a new location - and I could choose to

relocate them on the notebook.

However, although I managed to import the images into PSE11 easily, I could

not get it to recognize the catalog (.psa) file on the PC via the wireless

connection. I checked & rechecked that I had the relevant folder set

correctly to 'share', but no luck.

I don't know why this was, because it you copy the catalog file to a usb

stick & plug it into the notebook, it can pick it up OK.

So I tried that anyway, and converted the catalog again from the usb stick,

hoping that since the import of the images was via the wireless connect,

PSE11 now 'knew' the images were located on the 'external' PC hard drive;

but still the converted catalog would not function. Same as before - all my

Albums & Tags were listed correctly, but all the image thumbnails changed

from correct images to 'lost' generic Adobe flowers.

At that point, I lost heart & decided I would have to abandon the project &

just start the massive task of re-cataloging. I have a total of 64Gig of

photos, of which about 12Gig were cataloged. Very sad!

Now your suggestion has inspired me to give it one more try. It might make

a difference to have PSE11 on the PC working locally rather than trying to

negotiate the external drive thing. I had forgotten that I can do this with

a trial version.

I will let you know how I go.

• 6. Re: PS Elements catalog problems from Album Starter Edition

Catalogs on networked drives don't work. Hence the case when psa file is not being recognized even when the corresponding folder is on a shared network between your PC and notebook.

Looking forward to any more questions..

Thanks

Andaleeb

• 7. Re: PS Elements catalog problems from Album Starter Edition
                      OwenL_Adobe Level 1

You are a legend, Andaleeb. Are you sitting at your computer waiting for my

next question?

I am keen to try again, but may take a day or so - too many late nights

trying to get this to work & long working hours too at present. I think I

better try to get some sleep tonight for a change.

Will certainly update you when I can. Regards, Owen L

• 8. Re: PS Elements catalog problems from Album Starter Edition
                        OwenL_Adobe Level 1

Hi Andaleeb,

I think I have finally succeeded! I followed your latest suggestions,

getting the trial PSE11 on my PC  etc, and everything seems to have come

across. There are a few minor things that may need to settle in - eg I seem

to have lost the folder/subfolder structure that I had in Windows Explorer

- all bottom level folders have been copied into the Pictures Library on

the one level; but I can live with that; or I may be able to restore the

higher folders manually in WE if I find I need them & then reconnect in

PSE11 maybe.

Also many of the Tags don't want to work first go - but if I force a

Catalog Repair, it seems to fix.

VERY HAPPY tonight! I will play around with the cataloging for a while &

make sure it is working OK; then I will have to learn what else I can do

with the rest of PSE11.

Thanks so much for your help. You were much more use that the support

person at Adobe as well as a bloke at JustAnswer.com. Both those people

tried hard to help and were very responsive, but they did not appear to

have a very deep understanding of PSE, at least not in relation to issues

with the cataloging.

Regards from Owen L.

• 9. Re: PS Elements catalog problems from Album Starter Edition

While restoring, it gives you an option which "restores original folder structure", just in case you go for a restore another time..

I'm happy that things are fine for you now... Happy cataloging

Thanks

Andaleeb

• 10. Re: PS Elements catalog problems from Album Starter Edition
                            OwenL_Adobe Level 1

Thanks again, Andaleeb. I didn't notice that option.

Best wishes for Owen L.