3 Replies Latest reply: Jan 10, 2013 12:48 AM by johnpe5 RSS

Why Are My Folders Being Deleted?

johnpe5

I am using Bridge CS5 v 4.05.11 on Windows 7.

If I select a folder then apply a filter (e.g. all **** rated images) then Ctrl-A to select all files currently being displayed then hit Delete, Bridge deletes the whole folder

Is that what is supposed to happen?  My intention is to delete only the selected files. 

I have to deselect one of the files, delete the rest then delete the remaining file to avoid this happening.  Decidedly "clunky". 

Is there a way to avoid this?

• 1. Re: Why Are My Folders Being Deleted?
          Curt Y Community Member

Are you opening the folder first?  I do this all the time.  Open folder, select files, press delete.  If I select all the files in the folder the folder is not deleted.  It just displays "no items to display".

• 2. Re: Why Are My Folders Being Deleted?
            Omke Oudeman Community Member

Bridge deletes the whole folder.  Is that what is supposed to happen?

No this is not normal behavior, just tried it again for testing. Selected a folder, rated some files with 1 star, then with all files in view selected them all. Using the filter panel selected the rating for 1 star and then used cmd + backspace (I'm on a Mac) to delete the files.

The result was that only the rated files where deleted and not the not rated files, yet they where selected before I applied the filter.

Try to reset the workspace first and if no change also reset the Bridge preferences. Restart Bridge holding down control key and from the menu choose reset preferences.

• 3. Re: Why Are My Folders Being Deleted?
              johnpe5 Community Member

Thanks for your interest.

I've just created a folder Delete Test on the Desktop, filtered just the 1* images then Ctrl-A  and Delete.  I was asked "Are you sure you want to send these 4 files to the recycle bin?" and so it's working correctly again.  Then I went to a different folder, selected the 1* images and did Ctrl-A  Delete.  "Are you sure you want to send "folder-name" to the recycle bin?" so now it's not working properly.  Then I went back to my Delete Test folder and tried again.  This time I was asked if I wanted to send the folder to the recycle bin.

Does this spark any ideas?

I've not done any of the suggested things yet - wanted to conduct the above test first.

Edit:

So then I had an idea.  Went back to Delete Test.  Selected all the 4* images, Ctrl-A Delete.  Again asked if I wanted to send the folder to the recycle bin.  Then I removed the labels from 2 files and filtered for No Label.  Again I did Ctrl-A and Delete.  I was asked if I wanted to delete just the files, not the folder.