3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 9, 2013 9:45 PM by Pierre Devereux

Stabalizing - Within the workflow (procedural question)

Pierre Devereux Level 2

Hi,

As mentioned before, we are shooting miniature models for our project. Some of the models are attached to rigs that will allow them to move up/down, left/right, or rotate 180degrees on one axis. We have several choices of points where we attach the models to the rigs, and that allows us to get the shots we want. Out camera is on a tripod, that is attached to a dolly. We rarely use the zoom functions, but rather dolly in and out.

Some of the rigs require more work, and the footage we have from them leave a lot to be desired - while we work on them, I am using the footage to practice some techniques - in this question, it is stabalization. The rig in question is a pole, that slides purely up and down with the model attached to the top - imagine a helicopter landing scenario. The model starts high, and is brought gradually down. The problem is, that the rig was not very smooth during the first use, and there is quite a lot of juddering on the model itself. it wobbles as it descends. The camera also moved away from the model during the shot.

I would love to stabalize the model, not the camera movement - what is my best workflow:

1) Key wobbly footage, then warp stabalize?

2) Stabalize full shot, then key

3) process shot (from keying, all the way to composite), then stabalize output.

Am I correct in saying that warp stabalizer would be my best bet to stabalize talen motion?

Pierre