31 Replies Latest reply on Jan 9, 2013 2:16 PM by Peter Spier

setting export pdf

graphiedezzie

I am having some troubles / I am sending a catalog out to be printed cept the company that I work for sends their work to be printed in Korea. They always have problems with english fonts so they asked us to make the pdf for them. So I did with the general settings and they replied back that everything is good except they need it to be atleast 2400 DPI. I didnt even know indesign dealt with DPI but anyway trying to get it set do I just change the bicubic downsampling to 2400 and as a zip format?

• 1. Re: setting export pdf
          graphiedezzie Level 1

Also what output setting do i need to change so that the square (the black line) which is the bottom layer not show up through the top layer (the picture)

Screen shot 2013-01-09 at 9.25.20 AM.png

• 2. Re: setting export pdf
            MW Design Level 4

I have no idea what layer the black line is on, but it needs to be on a layer lower than the image. If on the same layer, it needs to be lower in the layer than the image.

There is no downsample to 2400 dpi if the images are less than that--which I assume they are. Depending on how this will be printed (offset, digital) 300 dpi for the images will be more than sufficient.

As for fonts, as long as they are properly embedded in the PDF there will be no issues unless they attempt to load the PDF into say Illustrator for whatever purpose. As long as they are sending the PDF as is to whatever is imaging the PDF, the fonts properly embedded will print fine.

Mike

• 3. Re: setting export pdf
              graphiedezzie Level 1

the black line is on the right layer it seems to be comng through the image (it becomes white where it goes through the image)

The printer sent me back the pdf i had originally sent to them and said everything was good except for the fact they need it at "2400dpi" they sent the file back to me as a sample and they have no issues with the black line see attached.Screen shot 2013-01-09 at 9.59.28 AM.png

• 4. Re: setting export pdf
                MW Design Level 4

What is the as placed resolution of your images (the effective PPI as indicated in the Info panel)?

The text, if it is selectable text in your PDF, has no resolution because it is vector.

As long as your images are 300 PPI, you are good to go unless they are increasing the PDF in dimensions at print. I think you are getting misinformation or there is a misunderstanding about the DPI thing.

Mike

• 6. Re: setting export pdf
                  graphiedezzie Level 1

Im pretty sure hes referring to the PPI

• 7. Re: setting export pdf
                    MW Design Level 4

What PDF profile are you using to produce your PDF?

Are you sending them the ID file or a PDF?

Mike

• 9. Re: setting export pdf
                      Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

I think you're going to need Distiller to fix the DPI issue (or pick a different preset). There is a resolution value for the PDF, but it is NOT accessible in ID.

If you open the settings file in Distiller (Choose the settings you want to edit in the Default Settings Dropdown, then Settings > Edit PDF Settings) or get there from Finder or Explorer by getting the file properties for the settings file you should see a screen like this:

PDF Resolution.png

I'm a bit surprised, though that this issue is being raised. What preset are you using? Every one I've looked at that would be suitable for press has already been set to 2400 dpi.

• 10. Re: setting export pdf
                        graphiedezzie Level 1

i sent them the id package, but they were having issues with the english fonts so they made a pdf and everything was perfect except for the fonts really; Im not a fan of puttin everything to outlines so they told me to make the pdf here so i did that and they said everything was good except they needed it to be 2400dpi which im guessing they ment 2400 ppi

• 11. Re: setting export pdf

For goodness sake don't set the downsample threshold to 2400 ppi.

• 12. Re: setting export pdf

And I get the sense form the email you included above that they are not saying the PDF is not OK, but that they want to verify that it is because it is smaller than they expect. That could be the case for any number of reasons.

• 13. Re: setting export pdf
                              MW Design Level 4

The thing about the downsampling settings. They only apply to images *above* the setting. So if your images are not above 2400 ppi, they remain as is in the PDF as they exist in the ID document. However, unless they are printing to paper 8 times parger than your PDF, images in your ID document need not be greater than 2400 ppi. If the PDF is being reproduced at 100% of size, 300 ppi is more than sufficient.

So, I'll ask again. What is the effective PPI of your images as shown in the Info panel? If they all show 300 ppi or greater, it is fine. In fact, depending once again on what method is being used to print this, 240 ppi is likely fine, especially for the smaller images.

Are you sending them a PDF or the ID file? I ask because how are they producing a PDF? Are they using your ID file(s)?

Mike

• 14. Re: setting export pdf
                                graphiedezzie Level 1

can you take a picture of your images tab?

Screen shot 2013-01-09 at 10.36.53 AM.png

• 15. Re: setting export pdf
                                  graphiedezzie Level 1

Screen shot 2013-01-09 at 10.39.33 AM.png

so if i put the ppi to 2400 it means nothing just makes it a larger file is what your saying?

• 16. Re: setting export pdf
                                    MW Design Level 4

The resolution setting in Distiller is an emulation of the resolution for the output device. At least if I recall properly. It doesn't affect images, it does vector...but again, at least if I recall properly. Kind of like setting the dpi of an image in PS without resampling. The pixels remain the same, a few byte header changes is all.

But if it floats their boat, Distiller is the only means of changing it.

Mike

• 17. Re: setting export pdf
                                      graphiedezzie Level 1

hey thanks for all the help and information greatly appreciated... last quest any idea about the black line (rectangle layer) coming through the picture is there an output setting that would mess with that because it only shows when I output it to a pdf keep in mind the image layer is transparent the white background is done in ID and so is the rectangle.Screen shot 2013-01-09 at 10.43.42 AM.png

• 18. Re: setting export pdf
                                        MW Design Level 4

Easiest way forward it seems to me is to obtain the printers .joboptions file for use with Distiller and then print to a PS file and use their .joboptions file to distill the PS file.

Mike

• 19. Re: setting export pdf

PDF/X-1a that you are using is in fact a 2400 dpi preset. That's the one I showed in my screenshot above. It may be smaller than they expected because it has already flattened transparency, converted to a CMY output space, and removed profiles. Did you get the correct output profile from them?

I would ask them to send you theird preferred PDF settings. That would insure your PDF meets their specs.

While setting the downsample threshold to 2400 won't damage the PDF, it won't help anything, either. That's way more resolution than the RIP needs, and none of your images will get downsampled (you might just as well say do not downsample). Excess image data just slows down the processing and gets discarded anyway, and your PDF may not really be an accurate representation of the printed output quality.

• 20. Re: setting export pdf
                                            MW Design Level 4

Why a white rectangle?

Mike

• 21. Re: setting export pdf

I can't tell from your screen shot what the black line you mention actually is. Can you give us a clue of where to look? Do you have overprint preview turned on in Acrobat?

• 22. Re: setting export pdf
                                                graphiedezzie Level 1

mike, in the image you can see the pdf i made from my file it has a white rectangle going through my image from the black rectangle layer under itScreen shot 2013-01-09 at 9.25.20 AM.png

• 23. Re: setting export pdf
                                                  graphiedezzie Level 1

peter no, its not turned on.  the black line is part of a rectangle i made in the back of the image

• 24. Re: setting export pdf

Turn it on.

But I think what you are seeing is a flatening artifact called 'stitching.' Try exporting to PDF/X-4 and see if it goes away.

• 25. Re: setting export pdf
                                                      graphiedezzie Level 1

yes went away colors seem a lot more vibrant almost like they are RGB still

• 26. Re: setting export pdf

graphiedezzie wrote:

colors seem a lot more vibrant almost like they are RGB still

That's because they are. PDF/X-1a converts all color (other than spot) to a single CMYK profile and removes the profile information. That's why it's very imnportant to know ahead of time what the correct output profile is going to be. If you export using the wrong profile your colors may wash out or shift more than necessary. This setting also flattens the transparency, which gives you the stitching artifacts. Those generally don't show on press, but it's not a guarantee.

PDF/X-4 is a newer standard. It leaves transparency live and colors unchanged, and embeds all of the profiles for the RIP to use when the color conversion is done in-RIP at the printer. It's a better choice for unknown conditions, IF the printer has equipment that can handle it. That's why both Mike and I have suggested you ask the printer for the settings file or preset they recommend.

• 27. Re: setting export pdf
                                                          graphiedezzie Level 1

yes, appreciate all the help. The loss through translation between korean and english just too hard. But thats who my bosses want me to deal with smh.

Thanks again to you both for all the feedback information and corrections.

• 28. Re: setting export pdf
                                                            graphiedezzie Level 1

is there a way to tell what settings they were using in the pdf they sent to me?

• 29. Re: setting export pdf

Maybe, but unless they used a PDF/X standard probably not exactly. You can tell if the transparency is flattened, though and find the the image resolutions by looking at the Document Properties (which will tell you the version of PDF -- 1.4 [Acrobat 5] or higher preserves the transparency) and using the Preflight tools in Acrobat Pro. There's also an abundance of information if you click the Additional Metadata button in the properties dialog and open the advanced section.

• 30. Re: setting export pdf
                                                                graphiedezzie Level 1

last question... if they used 'PDF Producer:' Adobe PDF Library 8.0

and i used 9.9 is this a problem? this is the only thing that is different

• 31. Re: setting export pdf

That means they are using CS4, I believe.  It sounds like they might be using an older version of ID to place your PDF impose it. That's a big red flag for me, but I know you don't have a lot of options here.