4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 9, 2013 5:20 PM by the_wine_snob

Link Media Problem

BA851

Hello,

I'm working on a project in CS6 (and using the trial version temporarily) and for some reason all the clips from certain sequences have gone offline (any reason as to how/why this has happened would also be appreciated!).

I'm attempting to re-establish the clips by selecting Project>Link Media, but "Link Media" can't be selected. Any ideas as to why this is?

Thanks in advance!

• 1. Re: Link Media Problem
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

This may not be your problem... but you might read...

Missing Presets/Activation http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1050730?tstart=0

• 2. Re: Link Media Problem
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

If the link, that John T. provided, does not help, then see this article on Media Offline, for some of the causes: http://forums.adobe.com/message/3561281#3561281

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Link Media Problem
              BA851 Level 1

Thanks very much for the responses. 

I did get the ''where is the file ___'' message, which allowed me to locate other clips, but frustratingly for footage in certain sequences I was not provided with this option, as if the program did not recognise that these clips are now offline.

I've opened the most recent ''copy'' version of the project and these sequences are intact there, though I've done a full day's work on the project since then.    

The only thing I can think of that could have caused this was changing eSATA ports on the external drives I'm editing with - though after testing it appears the drive letters are fixed so I'm perplexed as to why this happened.   

So there is possibly a lack of the Link Media function on the trial version? And it appears that I would have to manually link each clip even if this function was available? Its a large project so this is a horrifying prospect! If there's any way to automate linking clips in the fashion of the ''where is the file ___'' message I would be very glad to hear of it.  Thanks again...

• 4. Re: Link Media Problem
                the_wine_snob Level 9

The drive letters will be fixed, if set in the OS. Otherwise, they may, or may not be, depending on the order that peripherals are plugged-in/turned on. If you have not set the eSATA drive's letter in the OS, I would do that now, so that you do not have similar issues.

Good luck,

Hunt