1-please tell everyone exactly which brand/model camera
2-instead of that, do as described here...
Please NOTE that the PPro CS6 screen may look a bit different (I use CS5)
For CS5 and later, the easy way to insure that your video and your project match
See 2nd post for picture of NEW ITEM process http://forums.adobe.com/thread/872666
Sorry, the camcorder is a Canon Vixia HF G10. I should also mention I use a second camera, a Canon HV-20, and use the multi-camera features of CS6 (and CS5 before that) to create a two-camera sequence. While I can understand that the camcorder model numbers may be important, I'll reiterate that I've used these same camcorders for many projects before this and have never experienced this "conversion" problem before.
I'll also admit that I've never used this method of creating a sequence before, and I've probably been doing it "wrong" all along. I generally create a new sequence, pick something close from the list (e.g., HDV 1080i30), then drag my video into the sequence, and when asked by Premiere Pro if it should alter the sequence settings to match the footage, I click Yes. This is the way I've always done it before, and it's always worked flawlessly.
I suppose that perhaps I inadvertantly didn't click Yes once this time around. Though if that were the case, I would have figured I'd end up with problems when trying to nest my sequences for purposes of multicamera work. Also, I can't imagine how I was able to successfully convert my final sequence into a perfectly fine blu-ray image.
In any event, I tried taking my short version of the finished sequnece and exporting it to an MP4 using the H.264 format and the HD 1080i 29.97 preset. Then I imported the MP4 and created a sequence from the MP4 using the right-click, Create Sequence From Clip method. Then I exported that sequence to a widescreen AVI and it worked; I saw both video and audio.
So I guess I'll try using this procedure with my completed 90 minute sequence overnight tonight, and I'll let you know if it works. Thanks for the tip!
You missed a step.
4a. Export out using appropriate MPEG2-DVD and H.264 Blu-ray presets.
Then change step 5 to bring those individual assets into two different Encore projects, one for Blu-ray and one for DVD.
So I exported my completed high definition sequence to an MP4 and re-imported back into Premiere Pro. Right-clicked it and created a sequence from the clip. Then I imported my chapters from the old sequence into the new one.
I returned to Encore, modified my project to work off the newly created sequence (what a pain having to recreate all the scene links) and voila, it had no trouble making a DVD this time.
So I guess I'll get out of the bad habit of my old routine and create a sequence the "right" way from now on. Funny how we get used to doing something one way and stop thinking outside the box after a while.
Jim, I don't see how that's necessary. As long as I create an Encore project based on a good high definition sequence, I have never had to do anything other than have Encore build a standard definition DVD based on the high definition sequences. It has always done the conversion for me and produced really good DVDs. Once I create a DVD image that I'm satisfied with, I simply have Encore build a Blu-ray image using the exact same project, and that works perfectly as well. I suppose I may be missing something here but it all works and works well, so I don't see a reason to create two projects when one works well.
On a separate note, is it just me or doesn't everybody think it's high time that Adobe offer a feature to import markers from one sequence into another. I can do it automatically but I have to use a macro that I created separate and apart from Premiere Pro. For that matter, I think Encore should also offer a feature to remap all scene links to a new sequence instead of forcing me to fix them one by one myself.
Anyway, thanks to all of you for pointing me in the right direction!