5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 10, 2013 2:27 PM by LogonLarry

Why isn't my high definition video converting to standard definition?

LogonLarry

What I'm describing here, I've successfully accomplished many, many times using Premiere Pro CS5 and now Premiere Pro CS6. Now, for the first time ever, it's not working and I'm completely baffled. (This is a high-end Windows 7 64-Bit machine with 16GB RAM running Premiere Pro CS6.)

Here's a basic summary of my workflow. Nothing out of the ordinary here.

1. I shoot my video using a high definition camcorder (the same one I've been working with for the past year or two.

2. I import my high definition video into a 1920x1080 sequence in Premiere Pro CS6.

3. I edit my sequence until I'm happy.

4. I enter and name my Encore chapter markers in the sequence.

5. I create my Encore project and import the sequence as a timeline and set up my menus and such.

6. I build my Encore project, first into a standard definition DVD image file (so I can later burn SD-DVDs) and then build it again into a high definition Blu-ray image file (so I can later burn Blu-rays).

The Blu-ray burn is turning out just fine.

But the video in the DVD burn is all black. I can jump around from chapter to chapter and I can hear the sound, but the video doesn't show up!

I tried this a couple times thinking that maybe Encore just messed up the SD-DVD creation process but I got the same result each time. When I preview the project in Encore, it all looks just right.

So I figured, okay, something's not working when I import the sequence.

I went back to Premiere Pro thinking I'd just export my 1920x1080 sequence into a widescreen standard definition AVI and create a new sequence just for the standard definition DVD.

The exported AVI is black as well!!

I don't get it. Why on earth won't my high definition video convert properly to standard definition?

The high definition sequence looks completely normal in Premiere Pro. What could I possibly be overlooking??

One final note. Just as another test, I copied and pasted the sequence in Premier Pro, truncated it to a couple minutes (the full sequence is 90 minutes long), and exported to a widescreen AVI again.

It just finished, I tried playing it back in Windows, and it, too, is all black, sound but no video.

Like I said, this is nothing new for me. I've done it countless times with other projects. I could really use some assistance with this one.

• 1. Re: Why isn't my high definition video converting to standard definition?
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

1-please tell everyone exactly which brand/model camera

2-instead of that, do as described here...

Please NOTE that the PPro CS6 screen may look a bit different (I use CS5)

For CS5 and later, the easy way to insure that your video and your project match

See 2nd post for picture of NEW ITEM process http://forums.adobe.com/thread/872666

• 2. Re: Why isn't my high definition video converting to standard definition?
            LogonLarry Level 1

Sorry, the camcorder is a Canon Vixia HF G10. I should also mention I use a second camera, a Canon HV-20, and use the multi-camera features of CS6 (and CS5 before that) to create a two-camera sequence. While I can understand that the camcorder model numbers may be important, I'll reiterate that I've used these same camcorders for many projects before this and have never experienced this "conversion" problem before.

I'll also admit that I've never used this method of creating a sequence before, and I've probably been doing it "wrong" all along. I generally create a new sequence, pick something close from the list (e.g., HDV 1080i30), then drag my video into the sequence, and when asked by Premiere Pro if it should alter the sequence settings to match the footage, I click Yes. This is the way I've always done it before, and it's always worked flawlessly.

I suppose that perhaps I inadvertantly didn't click Yes once this time around. Though if that were the case, I would have figured I'd end up with problems when trying to nest my sequences for purposes of multicamera work. Also, I can't imagine how I was able to successfully convert my final sequence into a perfectly fine blu-ray image.

In any event, I tried taking my short version of the finished sequnece and exporting it to an MP4 using the H.264 format and the HD 1080i 29.97 preset. Then I imported the MP4 and created a sequence from the MP4 using the right-click, Create Sequence From Clip method. Then I exported that sequence to a widescreen AVI and it worked; I saw both video and audio.

So I guess I'll try using this procedure with my completed 90 minute sequence overnight tonight, and I'll let you know if it works. Thanks for the tip!

• 3. Re: Why isn't my high definition video converting to standard definition?
              John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I can't imagine just creating "any old project/sequence" and then letting the program figure out what I was doing

a FAQ on sequence setting http://forums.adobe.com/message/3804341

• 4. Re: Why isn't my high definition video converting to standard definition?
                Jim_Simon Level 8

You missed a step.

4a. Export out using appropriate MPEG2-DVD and H.264 Blu-ray presets.

Then change step 5 to bring those individual assets into two different Encore projects, one for Blu-ray and one for DVD.

• 5. Re: Why isn't my high definition video converting to standard definition?
                  LogonLarry Level 1

So I exported my completed high definition sequence to an MP4 and re-imported back into Premiere Pro. Right-clicked it and created a sequence from the clip. Then I imported my chapters from the old sequence into the new one.

I returned to Encore, modified my project to work off the newly created sequence (what a pain having to recreate all the scene links) and voila, it had no trouble making a DVD this time.

So I guess I'll get out of the bad habit of my old routine and create a sequence the "right" way from now on. Funny how we get used to doing something one way and stop thinking outside the box after a while.

Jim, I don't see how that's necessary. As long as I create an Encore project based on a good high definition sequence, I have never had to do anything other than have Encore build a standard definition DVD based on the high definition sequences. It has always done the conversion for me and produced really good DVDs. Once I create a DVD image that I'm satisfied with, I simply have Encore build a Blu-ray image using the exact same project, and that works perfectly as well. I suppose I may be missing something here but it all works and works well, so I don't see a reason to create two projects when one works well.

On a separate note, is it just me or doesn't everybody think it's high time that Adobe offer a feature to import markers from one sequence into another. I can do it automatically but I have to use a macro that I created separate and apart from Premiere Pro. For that matter, I think Encore should also offer a feature to remap all scene links to a new sequence instead of forcing me to fix them one by one myself.

Anyway, thanks to all of you for pointing me in the right direction!