20 Replies Latest reply on Jan 24, 2013 8:27 AM by johnmike

Cannot switch to Editor from Organizer

Maccath1

While viewing photos in organizer I cannot switch to Editer whitout restarting my PC. If I close the programme and open it again  I cannot choose to start Editer, nothing happens. I am using Elements 11

• 1. Re: Cannot switch to Editor from Organizer
          ukgaurav Adobe Employee

Hi,

Please try -

1. Close Elements.

2. Launch the Photoshop Elements Welcome Screen and hold down ctrl + alt + shift as you click Editor.

3. Continue to hold the keys until you see a message box asking if you want to delete Photoshop Elements settings file; click Yes. Elements will open with default preferences.

Sharing more info about machine, hard disk, RAM etc would help if issue is not resolved.

Thanks,

Garry

• 2. Re: Cannot switch to Editor from Organizer
            Maccath1 Level 1

Hi Garry,   Thank you for your reply, I did as you suggested but when I hold ctrlaltshift while clicking Editor on the welcome screen the programme just closes and as I continue to hold the buttons nothing happens. I am using a Dell 64 bit system with 825 GB free space, 8GB Ram and with an Intel Core i5 CPU processer (650@3.20GHz). I restarted my machine and everything works fine but if I close Elements only the Organizer will work if I open Elements without restarting the PC. Regards  Mike

Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2013 03:45:08 -0700

To: maccathasaigh@hotmail.com

Subject: Cannot switch to Editor from Organizer

Re: Cannot switch to Editor from Organizer

created by ukgaurav in Photoshop Elements - View the full discussion

Hi, Please try -  1. Close Elements.2. Launch the Photoshop Elements Welcome Screen and hold down ctrl + alt + shift as you click Editor.3. Continue to hold the keys until you see a message box asking if you want to delete Photoshop Elements settings file; click Yes. Elements will open with default preferences. Sharing more info about machine, hard disk, RAM etc would help if issue is not resolved. Thanks,Garry

Please note that the Adobe Forums do not accept email attachments. If you want to embed a screen image in your message please visit the thread in the forum to embed the image at http://forums.adobe.com/message/4982738#4982738

Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4982738#4982738

To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at http://forums.adobe.com/message/4982738#4982738. In the Actions box on the right, click the Stop Email Notifications link.

Start a new discussion in Photoshop Elements by email or at Adobe Community

For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to http://forums.adobe.com/message/2936746#2936746.

• 3. Re: Cannot switch to Editor from Organizer
              ukgaurav Adobe Employee

Can you check in task manager when you launch Editor and close it,  it`s file is not getting stucked in Task manager?

Also after you launch Welcome screen, press these 3 keys together and click Editor with keys pressed when you will see dialog box asking you to delete the PSE preferences file which would reset your preferences which solves some of the issues users face.

• 4. Re: Cannot switch to Editor from Organizer
                johnmike

I am having the exact same problem. I have discovered the following.

Start the MS Windows Task Manager (Ctrl-Alt-Delete). Select the “Processes” tab. Look for “PhotoshopElementsEditor.exe *32”. Select this process and press “End Process”. “Do You Want to End…” press End Process again. You can now start the Editor, no problem. However, when you exit the Editor, the problem will be back. It’s a onetime fix. This is a bug in PSE11. We can only hope it will eventually be fixed.

• 5. Re: Cannot switch to Editor from Organizer
                  Maccath1 Level 1

Dear John,    Thank you very much, this works. I was trying to get back to you through the forum but there is a website error so I cannot sign on. I will try that again later.Thanks again, hopefully Adobe will come up with a fix for this problem.  Mike

Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2013 10:06:10 -0700

created by John_Hogan543 in Photoshop Elements - View the full discussion

I am having the exact same problem. I have discovered the following.Start the MS Windows Task Manager (Ctrl-Alt-Delete). Select the “Processes” tab. Look for “PhotoshopElementsEditor.exe *32”. Select this process and press “End Process”. “Do You Want to End…” press End Process again. You can now start the Editor, no problem. However, when you exit the Editor, the problem will be back. It’s a onetime fix. This is a bug in PSE11. We can only hope it will eventually be fixed.

Please note that the Adobe Forums do not accept email attachments. If you want to embed a screen image in your message please visit the thread in the forum to embed the image at http://forums.adobe.com/message/4983631#4983631

Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4983631#4983631

To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at http://forums.adobe.com/message/4983631#4983631. In the Actions box on the right, click the Stop Email Notifications link.

For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to http://forums.adobe.com/message/2936746#2936746.

• 6. Re: Cannot switch to Editor from Organizer
                    99jon Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Try making a direct shortcut for the Organizer and Editor. Make sure you have the correct file path as there is more than one exe file. You can then launch the programs directly from the desktop bypassing the welcome screen. This is generally better as the welcome screen leaves background processes running.

Right click anywhere on the desktop and select New >> Shortcut

Then click the browse button and navigate to:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Elements 11 Organizer\PhotoshopElementsOrganizer.exe"

Then click Next; then click Finish

Then make a direct shortcut for the Editor in a similar manner.

Right click anywhere on the desktop and select New >> Shortcut

Then click the browse button and navigate to:

"C:\Program Files(x86)\Adobe\Photoshop Elements 11\PhotoshopElementsEditor.exe"

Then click Next; then click Finish

You should now be able to launch each application independently by double clicking on the new desktop icons.

• 7. Re: Cannot switch to Editor from Organizer
                      johnmike Level 1

Sorry, that doesn't work 99jon. Are you having this problem also? Did your suggested fix work for you?

• 8. Re: Cannot switch to Editor from Organizer
                        99jon Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I’m not seeing that problem on either W7 or Vista but I know others have found bypassing the welcome screen at launch can help.

It sounds as though your problem is different, possibly a registry conflict if the application continues running even after closing.

• 9. Re: Cannot switch to Editor from Organizer
                          Maccath1 Level 1

Hi,   I tried this and it seems to be working, thank you. Using the welcome screen does leave the process running in the background so it cannot be accessed if you close and try to reopen it. I noticed that there is an option on the welcome screen to choose if you want to open directly into Editor or Organizer without the welcome screen but as your solution works I do not need to investigate further. I am running Windows 7 Home Professional. Thanks again MikeP.S I still cannot log into the forum as there is an error on log-in

Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2013 11:32:07 -0700

created by 99jon in Photoshop Elements - View the full discussion

Try making a direct shortcut for the Organizer and Editor. Make sure you have the correct file path as there is more than one exe file. You can then launch the programs directly from the desktop bypassing the welcome screen. This is generally better as the welcome screen leaves background processes running. Right click anywhere on the desktop and select New >> ShortcutThen click the browse button and navigate to:  "C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Elements 11 Organizer\PhotoshopElementsOrganizer.exe"  Then click Next; then click Finish    Then make a direct shortcut for the Editor in a similar manner. Right click anywhere on the desktop and select New >> ShortcutThen click the browse button and navigate to:  "C:\Program Files(x86)\Adobe\Photoshop Elements 11\PhotoshopElementsEditor.exe"  Then click Next; then click Finish You should now be able to launch each application independently by double clicking on the new desktop icons.

Please note that the Adobe Forums do not accept email attachments. If you want to embed a screen image in your message please visit the thread in the forum to embed the image at http://forums.adobe.com/message/4983952#4983952

Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4983952#4983952

To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at http://forums.adobe.com/message/4983952#4983952. In the Actions box on the right, click the Stop Email Notifications link.

• 10. Re: Cannot switch to Editor from Organizer
                            johnmike Level 1

Just so I'm clear. The MS Windows Task Manager does NOT show the PSE11 - Editor in the Applications list (ie the Application is not running). It appears in the Processes list. That's the crux of the problem. PSE11 is ending the application but not the process. And the only way to terminate a process (if the Application doesn't do it) is with the Task Manager.

• 11. Re: Cannot switch to Editor from Organizer
                              Maccath1 Level 1

Hi again John,   That is correct, PSE11 does not show in applications but remains in processes. Even putting a shortcut on desktop to open either Editor or Organizer directly when you close them they stay running in processes. Sorry for the delay in replying, I was walking the dog.  Mike

Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2013 13:30:43 -0700

created by John_Hogan543 in Photoshop Elements - View the full discussion

Just so I'm clear. The MS Windows Task Manager does NOT show the PSE11 - Editor in the Applications list (ie the Application is not running). It appears in the Processes list. That's the crux of the problem. PSE11 is ending the application but not the process. And the only way to terminate a process (if the Application doesn't do it) is with the Task Manager.

Please note that the Adobe Forums do not accept email attachments. If you want to embed a screen image in your message please visit the thread in the forum to embed the image at http://forums.adobe.com/message/4984340#4984340

Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4984340#4984340

To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at http://forums.adobe.com/message/4984340#4984340. In the Actions box on the right, click the Stop Email Notifications link.

• 12. Re: Cannot switch to Editor from Organizer
                                ukgaurav Adobe Employee

Just to share more info on our application:

1) We have three components of Photoshop Elements namely, Welcome Screen, PSE Editor, Elements Organizer. All have 3 different .exe or executable files.

2) So, when you click on desktop icon it is welcome screen which has it`s own exe 'Photoshop Elements 11.0.exe' located at C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Elements 11 Organizer

3) Similarly Organizer exe 'PhotoshopElementsOrganizer.exe' is located at C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Elements 11 Organizer and Editor exe 'PhotoshopElementsEditor.exe' C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Photoshop Elements 11

4) When you launch either of Editor or Organizer from Welcome Screen that means you have two exe running and in ideal cases welcome screen should close when either of Editor or Organizer is launched which is not the case with some of you a smentioned in above threads.

5) You are not seeing the application running in task manager as app has closed but it`s exe is still stucked in process list and not killed/closed appropriately due to either app issue or OS issue or some third party conflicting issue.

We have not seen such issue being reported here so this can be due to some otehr issue. Just to be on the safe side it would be helpful if you guys just put your antivirus on off for 5 mts and then try using it and check if it`s still stucks in task manager. We have seen in past with antivirus conflicting with couple of exe and not freeing them even on app close.

Please share your comments.

Thanks,

Garry

• 13. Re: Cannot switch to Editor from Organizer
                                  johnmike Level 1

Garry,

I tried the turning off my virus protection software. I even downloaded and reinstalled PSE11 with the virus protection off. Also, no other applications are running when I start PSE11 or PSE11-Editor. Always the exact same result. And it is only with the Editor. Not the Welcome Screen and not the Organizer. They both work perfectly every time.

• 14. Re: Cannot switch to Editor from Organizer
                                    ukgaurav Adobe Employee

Can you please share me exact steps which you are trying from 1st click of Mouse to end till you fall into this odd issue? I can understand how hard it is to go everytime in task manager and close and I think your exact steps would help us understand the cause of issue occuring on your end..

Also do paste your Help->System Info here.

Thanks,

Garry

• 15. Re: Cannot switch to Editor from Organizer
                                      Maccath1 Level 1

Hi Garry,

As far as I am aware the issue only arises if you close out of PSE 11 and try to restart it without restarting the computer. If I do not go to Task Manager and turn off the PC  I get the message that the computer is waiting for a background programme to close. Someone suggested putting a shortcut on the desktop to both Editor and Organizer and I am now using one of these to start PSE 11, I can then switch between Editor and Organizer and have not been getting the message that there is a background programme running when I switch off the PC. I was having the problem starting PSE 11 using the welcome screen.

Regards

Mike

• 16. Re: Cannot switch to Editor from Organizer
                                        johnmike Level 1

Help-> System Info:

Elements Organizer 11.0.0.0

Core Version: 11.0 (20120923.r.32287)

Language Version: 11.0 (20120923.r.32287)

Current Catalog:

Catalog Name: My Catalog

Catalog Location: C:\ProgramData\Adobe\Elements Organizer\Catalogs\My Catalog\

Catalog Size: 196KB

Catalog Cache Size: 785.4KB

System:

Operating System Name: Windows 7

Operating System Version: 6.1 Service Pack 1

System Architecture: AMD CPU Family:15 Model:5 Stepping:3 with MMX, SSE Integer, SSE FP

Built-in Memory: 3.7GB

Free Memory: 1.6GB

Important Drivers / Plug-ins / Libraries:

Microsoft DirectX Version: 9.0

Apple QuickTime Version: 7.72

Adobe Reader Version: 10.1

Adobe Acrobat Version: Not installed

CD and DVD drives:

E: (hp BDDVDRW BUS: 2 ID: 2 Firmware: CT21L)

Starting from a restart of the computer:

1. Click on Desktop PSE11 Icon. Welcome Screen appears.

2. Click on Organizer. A blue screen appears which seems to be initializing the Organizer. Then the Organizer appears with the last photo I was working with.

3. Click on Editor Icon at the bottom of the Organizer window.I see a black bar that says "Loading Adobe ... Editor". The Editor window opens.

4. Click on File->Exit. The Editor Window closes. I am in the Organizer window then.

5. Click on the Editor Icon at the bottom of the Organizer windor. The mouse pointer changes to a rotating circle for a second or less then changes back to the usual pointer. Nothing else happens. I am still in the Organizer.

There have been suggestions to set up seperate shortcut icons for the Editor and Organizer. That doesn't make any difference. Once I open then close the Editor step 5 is what happens until I kill the Process using Task Manager or rebooting.

• 17. Re: Cannot switch to Editor from Organizer
                                          ukgaurav Adobe Employee

Are you still having these problem? I would say just switch off the internet conection for a while and try launching/using.

Also when you click Editor from Organizer just close the file after Editing in Editor (save if you need). Once file is closed then close the Editor and please see if it helps.

Thanks,

Garry

• 18. Re: Cannot switch to Editor from Organizer
                                            johnmike Level 1

My trial period has expired so I can no longer try any thing you suggest. I guess I will just have to wait for PSE12 and see if that works. Thanks for your suggestions any how.

John

• 19. Re: Cannot switch to Editor from Organizer
                                              ukgaurav Adobe Employee

In case you have any other machine and you wish to try installing and using PSE on the same please see. It`s sad that none of the solutions worked here.

Thanks,

Garry

• 20. Re: Cannot switch to Editor from Organizer
                                                johnmike Level 1

I installed PSE11 on an old (circa 1999) HP Pavilion running Windows XP. 1.60 GHz and 512 MB RAM so it is very very very slow. But it works perfectly. In and out of the Editor with no problem except it takes about a minute each way.