7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 28, 2017 7:47 AM by Michael L at UNCP

How can I add metadata to a MTS-file in Adobe Bridge?

PhThSi

Hello,

I want to add some tags to my Videos. Those are MTS-files.

Is this possible in Bridge? How can I do this? Or do I need another programm for this?

Thanks for your help!

• 1. Re: How can I add metadata to a MTS-file in Adobe Bridge?
          Omke Oudeman Level 5

I want to add some tags to my Videos. Those are MTS-files.

Is this possible in Bridge? How can I do this? Or do I need another

for this?

Don't think Bridge and .MTS files are a good match but don't use those file (nor much video at all, mostly photography) myself and can't check.

But you can try it yourself very easily.

To be sure make a back up so when it does not work nothing is lost. Point Bridge to the folder with MTS files (use the folder panel for quick navigation on your HD) and when you can see a preview (or file thumb) check the metadata panel IPTC or other fields.

If you see a pencil at the right side of the panel for a field click on it and you can add info, if there is no pencil you can't.

Also check this thread from Adobe Premiere

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/784613

• 2. Re: How can I add metadata to a MTS-file in Adobe Bridge?
            PhThSi Level 1

Thanks for the response!

I already did that. There was no pencil and I couldn't tag them.

Do you know if there is any other programm where I could do this? I need to organise my videos ...

• 3. Re: How can I add metadata to a MTS-file in Adobe Bridge?
              Omke Oudeman Level 5

Do you know if there is any other programm where I could do this? I need to organise my videos ...

Try the link and / or check the Adobe Premiere forum, here are all the people working with video, and they have probably a better answer for your question

• 4. Re: How can I add metadata to a MTS-file in Adobe Bridge?
                Michael L at UNCP Level 1

.mts files don't have metadata.

.MTS files are the video/audio portion of AVCHD files. Unlike other containers, AVCHD files keep the metadata separate from the video and audio content. AVCHD files put metadata in the folder structure of the AVCHD file. When you take the .mts files out of the AVCHD container, you effectively strip all of the metadata away and remove the ability to associate metadata with the clips.

It might help to think of an AVCHD file as a folder that contains metadata and a separate folder (STREAM) with a list of video/audio clips (.mts files). The metadata stored in the AVCHD folder is associated with the clips (.mts files) in the STREAM subfolder. When you pull the .mts clips out of the AVCHD folder, you leave all of the metadata behind and break the relationship between the metadata and the .mts files.

.mts files are also not generally considered an editing format. To preserve the metadata and be able to edit/add more, transcode your AVCHD files using Prelude and taking just the clips you want.

For maximum quality, transcode to an uncompressed format like ProRes or DNxHD. Those are huge files though, so you're going to need tons of hard drive space.

I don't have that luxury of unlimited storage so I transcode to H.264 at a high bit rate (20Mb/s). I've been developing and documenting my workflow for my own purposes. Feel free to take a look. Workflow - Google Docs

• 6. Re: How can I add metadata to a MTS-file in Adobe Bridge?
                  Videohead

I think you've misunderstood the workflow in Adobe Creative Suite/Cloud.

Provided a file type is readable in Premiere, working with media files in Premiere does not require transcoding. Nor would transcoding a file ever add quality (you cannot create new better quality then was originally stored by the recording system).

MTS files absolutely have metadata, it is just not stored in the file header, the way that MOV or JPG container allows metadata in the header.

Adobe media applications (Premiere and Prelude) will create a sidecar XMP file with the associated metadata.

You can track this sidecar through your media production process and add/change metadata with a variety of the Adobe applications.

At export, you can also create metadata with Adobe Media Encoder.

• 7. Re: How can I add metadata to a MTS-file in Adobe Bridge?
                    Michael L at UNCP Level 1

Perhaps my response wasn't as clear as I'd hoped.

I understand that Premier can handle .mts files without transcoding. And I understand that transcoding doesn't add quality.

However, the question was about adding metadata to .mts files.  As I stated and you reiterated, .mts files do not contain metadata.  If it isn't in the header, by definition, it isn't in the file. It's elsewhere in the AVCHD folder. Again, removing the .mts files from the AVCHD file structure breaks the links to the metadata containers inherent in AVCHD files. There is no way to add metadata to .mts files.

Yes, Adobe programs can add tags by creating sidecar files that are associated with the .mts file and are readable by other Adobe programs, but this does not put any metadata into the .mts file. This external tagging system will continue to work as long as the .mts files are not moved away from their associated sidecar files that contain the adobe-readable metadata.  Most non-adobe programs, however, will not see or be able to edit that metadata.

The only way to put metadata into the video file so that it is embedded and searchable/readable by other programs is to transcode into an intermediate or other format (codec+container) that can contain metadata. 

While transcoding to an intermediate format or uncompressed format does not ever add image quality, if it's done well there is little or no loss in quality and these editing formats can have many benefits. Apple mentions a few here. Editing .mts files, because they are compressed, requires more processing power.  In addition, transcoding allows an OS to show clip thumbnails and programs like Bridge to add metadata and preview clips right from the drive.  Transcoding through Media Encoder or Prelude also enables an editor to clip out the usable portions of longer takes, saving both drive space and editing time.

There are many different viable workflows. If editing .mts files and tagging with sidecar files works for you, go for it.  Because my job requires organizing and cataloging hundreds of clips to be used on dozens of projects, I find .mts files to be extremely aggravating to deal with. They don't hold metadata for cataloging, they don't preview, they require more processing power from the editing system, and camera operators often have extranious time at the beginning or end of a take that can be cut.  I clip, transcode, tag, and catalog. For me, this makes my editing much more efficient and still produced a high quality video.