9 Replies Latest reply on Jan 10, 2013 10:05 AM by conroy

List your CS6 to CS5.x Compatibility Issues Here

DHM Creative Director

I'm in a multi office environment with a network, I'm the only staff person with CS6 and all our CS5.x users have been getting errors opening CS6 files despite me having file compatibility set to "Always":

• "The document contains unknown data which will be discarded to keep layers editable..."
      • Warnings about missing "color books" even though I don't use PANTONE
      • "Could not complete your request because the file is not compatible with this version of Photoshop"

I just chatted with Adobe and after a long session here were their non-answers:

• "There is a lot of features in CS6 that will not work on CS5 and we will not be able to help you in opening the CS 6 image in CS5."
      • "I am sorry, I understand that, however we will not be able to help you with that."
      • "You can disable the Third Party Plug-ins" (I'm not using any)

So... let's start our own list of KNOWN ISSUES with Photoshop version compatibilty

• CS6 vector strokes. Any file I send with the new vector strokes can not be opened by CS5.x users
      • It seems if I flatten all shape layers and smart objects it helps, however our PSDS have hundreds of layers and even with the new search feature this is tedious. Plus you get into having two versions of a final file floating around which is a liability.

What have you found? Thanks!

• 1. Re: List your CS6 to CS5.x Compatibility Issues Here
          c.pfaffenbichler Level 9

CS5 (12.0.4) seems to have no real problem with opening CS6 files with stroked Shape Layers for me, on opening one has to decide to »Flatten« or »Keep Layers« (the Shape Layer with the stroke gets rasterized then).

Could it be users individually turn off »Maximize …«?

You don’t mention if you use CS6 with perpetual license or Cloud License.

In latter case Blend Gallery and Liquify as Smart Filters would naturally have to be lost if the SO is edited in CS5.

The CS6 Oil Paint Filter also poses problems for CS5.

• 2. Re: List your CS6 to CS5.x Compatibility Issues Here
            DHM Creative Director Level 1
            • Sorry, I am not a cloud user. PS6 (not extended).
            • I leave maximize compatiblity as Always
            • Often with CS5.x users try the flattened option it throws another error and the file is unopenable.

So the list grows...

• CS6 vector strokes. Any file I send with the new vector strokes can not be opened by CS5.x users
            • It seems if I flatten all shape layers and smart objects it helps, however our PSDS have hundreds of layers and even with the new search feature this is tedious. Plus you get into having two versions of a final file floating around which is a liability.
            • Blur Gallery and Liquify as Smart Filters would naturally have to be lost if the SO is edited in CS5
            • CS6 Oil Paint Filter also poses problems for CS5.
            • 3. Re: List your CS6 to CS5.x Compatibility Issues Here
              c.pfaffenbichler Level 9

Sorry, my mistake: It’s »Blur Gallery«, not »Blend Gallery«!

• 4. Re: List your CS6 to CS5.x Compatibility Issues Here
                c.pfaffenbichler Level 9

It seems if I flatten all shape layers and smart objects it helps, however our PSDS have hundreds of layers and even with the new search feature this is tedious.

Well, I would generally discourage rasterizing Smart Objects in the interest of maintaining editability, but the task of rasterizing all Smart Objects in an image can be automized with a Script and (with a Configurator Panel or a Keyboard Shortcut) made a one-click task (though it may run some time then).

I have not noticed issues with SOs, but I don’t have to work with CS5 users a lot; are pixel and vector SOs affected equally according to your observation?

Could you provide files that threw problems in CS5 for testing to others? (If the issues are reliable you could fill all Layers black or something to avoid violating customer’s confidentiality.)

I do very little type-setting in Photoshop, but how about Type Layers that use Character and Paragraph Styles?

Have you tested those yet?

• 5. Re: List your CS6 to CS5.x Compatibility Issues Here
                  c.pfaffenbichler Level 9

Another thing: 3DLUT Adjustment Layers are new in CS6.

• 6. Re: List your CS6 to CS5.x Compatibility Issues Here

Right, but do those 3DLUT Adjustment Layers cause compatibility issues with CS5.x or earlier versions?

• 7. Re: List your CS6 to CS5.x Compatibility Issues Here
                      c.pfaffenbichler Level 9

Not for me, again the option to »Flatten« or »Keep Layer« (in which case the Adjuszment Layer becomes an empty Layer and the appearance changes compared to CS6).

• 8. Re: List your CS6 to CS5.x Compatibility Issues Here

Major PS to  my original post: I should note that the Keep Layers option in the warning popup should allow CS5.x users to open the doc and interact with layers, but we've found this isn't always the case. In some instances they get an additional error message and the file is un-openable.

It's really challenging to figure out what the offending items are that put the compatibility over the limit so to speak. It's also possible that there could be a network related issue working here. I was reading there are supposedly some issues with Mac and servers. We are on a Windows based environment.

Either way Adobe told me this morning, we don't support compatiblity issues. They did give me a way to send a test file though. So hopefully I'll report back. Adobe also doesn't want to get into any issues related to networks which I understand, however if there are known issues it would be nice to know them to avoid them, like the awful Flash bug were is the server burps for a split second your .FLA can be corrupted and unrecoverable.

• 9. Re: List your CS6 to CS5.x Compatibility Issues Here
                          conroy Level 5

c.pfaffenbichler wrote:

Not for me, again the option to »Flatten« or »Keep Layer« (in which case the [Color Lookup] Adjuszment Layer becomes an empty Layer and the appearance changes compared to CS6).

It would be sensible for a CS6-saved Max Compat document to contain a compatibility rasterization of a Color Lookup Adjustment Layer, and for CS5.x to use it instead of an empty layer when "Keep Layers" is chosen so there would be no change in appearance.

Notice that blending options and effects will be on the empty layer in CS5.1.

Either CS6 is failing to save the pixels of the compatibility rasterization into the file or CS5.1 is failing to populate its layer with pixels. Hopefully, the former and a fix will be forthcoming because there's no chance of CS5.x being updated now.

There's a similar problem with an empty raster layer appearing in CS5.1 when opening a 16-bit CS6-saved document containing a Shape Layer that has a CS6-Shape Stroke, whereas the compatibility raster layer will be correct in CS5.1 if the document is 8-bit.