7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 11, 2013 12:06 AM by Yammer

Nikon NEF. file transfer

Ed Parker Level 1

Recently upgraded to LR4 and CS6.  Using W7 on new system 16 gig ram and i7 chipset on ASUS board.  Imported Nikon D600 raw files to new folder with LR4.  Later navagated to folder containing the raw files with Bridge.  When selecting a raw file with Bridge to open in camera raw message apears that file is not supported. Prior to importing with LR4 problem didnot exist. Help!

• 1. Re: Nikon NEF. file transfer
          Level 5

At least on the Mac, the Nikon Transfer utility corrupts the files.  Perhaps this is happening in Windows too?

• 2. Re: Nikon NEF. file transfer
            ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

LR4 and PS-CS6/ACR 7.3 can read D600 files ok on my Win7-64 system.

Installing PS-CS6 would put ACR 7.0 on your system which is most of a year old, so do you need to update to the latest Camera Raw plug-in, 7,3, using PS -> Help / Updates if it doesn’t come up automatically?

Are the photos ok in LR4, still, in Develop, specifically, or have they been corrupted since importing?

• 3. Re: Nikon NEF. file transfer
              Ed Parker Level 1

Updated LR to 4.2 and PS6 Camera Raw to 7.3.  Used Bridge to import files to new folder and attempted to open once more into photoshop camera raw. Identical outcome.  Found solution... Thinking of a work around I attempted to edit the file in photoshop from the edit function in LR a message apeared that indicated camera raw was not updated to 7.3.  I assumed that I had updated the files from Dobe.com yet eventough it apeared that the files had loaded corectly, they had not.  The LR message stated that I could update these files from the help menue in PS6 - this worked!  Why the download from Adobe.com didn't work is a mystery. Thanks 2ssprengel for pointing the way! - Ed  

• 4. Re: Nikon NEF. file transfer
                Ed Parker Level 1

My apologies.  Had I re read your reply and followed your hints I might have

saved some time.  It just proves once again that even though some one spells

the solution out for me I sometimes have difficultly  following directions!!

- Ed

• 5. Re: Nikon NEF. file transfer
                  ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you really only have LR 4.2 then update to 4.3, for full support of the D600.

It’s too late now, but you can always do Help / About Plug-ins… / Camera Raw… to find out what version you’re running.

• 6. Re: Nikon NEF. file transfer
                    Level 5

Ed Parker wrote:

...  Why the download from Adobe.com didn't work is a mystery...

This is too obvious, but did you actually install the plug-in after downloading it?  Downloading alone won't do anything.

• 7. Re: Nikon NEF. file transfer
                      Yammer Level 4

...and there's always the restart, if the software was already running.