6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 11, 2013 11:42 AM by pushkin_wilder

Jerky performance in iBooks widget and Animate Deployment Package

pushkin_wilder Level 1

Hi folks,

I'm making a interactive children's book using Edge animate as I wanted it to be full of rich interaction, animation etc. My plan is to make the whole book in Edge and then drop that Edge file into either iBooks author or Adobe DPS. When I preview the work in Chrome through the actual application of Edge it plays perfectly, really smoothly and with no lag at all.

However, when I export as an iBooks widget or use the Animate Deployment Package option and preview through either iBooks or DPS then I see a marked reduction in performance. There is a slight lag between tapping an item and the animations starting and they play through in a slightly jerky fashion.

I read a discussion on these forums where the person said they had noticed the same thing when they had used symbols in their work. Unfortunately, because of the complexity of my project, I have to use symbols. Is this just how it is?

It's not absolutely dreadful, and if if that's how it is then I can live with it - but I would prefer it to be as smooth as it appears on my browser previews.

Any thoughts or suggestions on what I can do to improve the performance?

Thanks,

Tom.

• 1. Re: Jerky performance in iBooks widget and Animate Deployment Package
          elainecc Adobe Employee

Hi, Tom-

Is it possible your assets are greater than 1024x1024?  We've noticed that there seems to be a big hit to the processor when the files are much larger.  The second thing we've noticed is that image files with a lot of transparency tends to stress these devices a lot as well, so you might want to consider optimizing if you have a lot of transparency as well.  As for your specific question, I haven't noticed any particular problem with assets within symbols.  Please do note that as with any mobile development, memory is always a factor in the performance of any program.

Hope these two pointers help!

-Elaine

• 2. Re: Jerky performance in iBooks widget and Animate Deployment Package
            pushkin_wilder Level 1

Hi Elaine,

Thanks for getting back to me.

The largest graphic that I animate is 1024 x 768, but I didn't notice any particular drop in performance between larger items over smaller ones. I did notice that bitmaps suffered more from the jerky framerate than DIV elements created within Edge, but I guess that's to be expected.

Most of the images are .pngs because they need to be character's arms, legs etc to make the figures animate, so that must be the issue I guess. I've probably just been spoilt from seeing it run so smoothly on my desktop browser!

The 'symbols' comment was something that I thought was odd too - I only mentioned it as it had been brought up on the forums in relation to playback issues in iBooks.

Anyway, like I said it's not dreadful so I'll just have to live with it as I can't optomize the graphics to not have transparency in this instance.

Thanks for your time,

Tom.

• 3. Re: Jerky performance in iBooks widget and Animate Deployment Package
              elainecc Adobe Employee

Tom-

Transparency shouldn't be an issue; just check to make sure that the image is cropped as close to your opaque portions as possible.  The user I'm thinking of had a bunch of 1024x768 files that only had about 80x64px of opaque material, and the rest was transparent.

-Elaine

• 4. Re: Jerky performance in iBooks widget and Animate Deployment Package
                pushkin_wilder Level 1

Hmm, no, I've been very careful about that, each image is cropped as tightly as possible to the visible image element.

Might it be some sort of issue of running the Edge animation inside another authouring tool? So the iPad is working hard to run iBooks, and then it's also having to work hard to run the Edge animation? The size doesn't seem to make any difference as there is a section where I'm using a user click to place a child symbol of a small flower on the screen and that is a clear instance where there is a .25 second lag (or thereabouts ) between the action and the symbol appearing.

I guess it might just be that my desktop Mac is pretty beefy and loaded with RAM while my iPad is not as powerful?

Thanks for your thoughts on this.

Tom

• 5. Re: Jerky performance in iBooks widget and Animate Deployment Package
                  elainecc Adobe Employee

Tom-

It would be great if you could send me a link to your project so that we can take a look at it.  You can either post it to the forum or send me a link via direct message.

Thanks,

-Elaine

• 6. Re: Jerky performance in iBooks widget and Animate Deployment Package
                    pushkin_wilder Level 1

Hi Elaine,

I've sent you a direct message with the working files - hopefully that will communicate what I mean!

It should all be reasonably clear, but if you have any issues with any of it, just let me know!

Thanks,

Tom