10 Replies Latest reply on Jan 15, 2013 6:26 PM by Jim_Simon

Aspect Ratio Issues in Premier Pro CS 5.5

flagg1209

I'm trying to produce a DVD for my daughter's school and my wife bought me a copy of CS 5.5 to help (thanks lovely wife!).

I made a number of rookie mistakes when originally trying to produce the final video, but I think I have managed to correct most of them. Sadly, the final product still does not play correctly on a DVD player.

Here are the attributes of the original source footage (from Windows):

Properties1.png

And here are the settings from PP for a similar file (same settings, just a file from a little later in the filming process)

Properties2.png

And finally, here are the settings for the sequence that I created by right-clicking on the footage in PP and creating a new sequence from the file:

Properties3.png

The problem is this... The footage plays correctly in PP when previewed. It plays fine when exported as media and played on my PC, but when played through a media player (as a digital file) the aspect ratio is off and the file seems constrained horizontally, which pushes the top and bottom of the footage off screen (not sure I'm describing this well).

Also, when I use Encore to produce a DVD as a test, the same issue occurs. So I can only assume that the problem is the render from PP.

Can anyone help? Do you need more info to help? I'm getting frustrated... time for a beer while I wait for replies.

Thanks in advance

• 1. Re: Aspect Ratio Issues in Premier Pro CS 5.5
          Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

If you're exporting as an AVI file, then aspect ratio information isn't necessarily included in the file.  You'll need to tell Encore what the PAR is.  You can try exporting from Pr as MPEG2-DVD, which should remedy the PAR issue in Encore.

Jeff

• 2. Re: Aspect Ratio Issues in Premier Pro CS 5.5
            flagg1209 Level 1

I'll try that, but what about sending the sequence via dynamic link? I had the same problem (although the original attempt was with improperly sequenced files). Will try again. Thanks!

• 3. Re: Aspect Ratio Issues in Premier Pro CS 5.5
              flagg1209 Level 1

Just tried - sadly same problem with using the dynamic link - the source seems fine, the output is wrong. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong...

When I export to media, I've tried a bunch of different settings. Mostly H.264. I'll try exporting using MPEG2-DVD and then importing those clips into my Encore project to see if that fixes the issue. It seems to me that it would be much easier to use the dynamic link to move files between applications. Perhaps if I can afford the upgrade to CS6 it will help?

• 4. Re: Aspect Ratio Issues in Premier Pro CS 5.5

First, save your money.  It's much more likely to be settings/export/playback error than an inherent flaw in CS5.5.  Second, what are your project settings in Encore?  Finally, which media player are you using (the one that displays the aspect ratio wrong)?

Jeff

• 5. Re: Aspect Ratio Issues in Premier Pro CS 5.5
                  flagg1209 Level 1

Once I realised that I'd made some mistakes with the processing, I started doing some tests with a sample piece of footage. This has allowed me a much shorter render time when testing the settings.

Here's what I did:

I took the piece of footage and imported it into a blank Premier Pro project (with no sequences). Then I created a new squence from the file (by right-clicking and selecting "create new sequence from file). Then I dickered with the footage, inserted some picture in picture and changed the speed of some of the footage (all things I intend to do with the final production). Then I sent that to a brand new Encore project created by sending the sequence via dynamic link.

Once I was in Encore, I made sure the project made sense (set the end action etc...) then I set it to build a .ISO file. I then burned that to disc (a standard 4.7Gb DVD-R) and I also sent the ISO to my DViCO TViX media player. Whether I play the disc on my Sony Blu-Ray player or the ISO on my media player, the aspect ratio is wrong. But if I play the same ISO or disc on my PC - it works fine!

I've yet to try it on another player, but I think there's something fundamentally wrong with my process, or the way I'm doing this.

Here's a piece of footage from a camera that had EXACTLY the same setting as the original footage (I used this piece of footage because it's straight from the camera - most of the files from the main camera are too big to share):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mocizf4d3vdx0y4/00037.MTS

(If that didn't work, I can try again...)

• 6. Re: Aspect Ratio Issues in Premier Pro CS 5.5
                    Jim_Simon Level 8

Whether I play the disc on my Sony Blu-Ray player or the ISO on my media player, the aspect ratio is wrong.

Your description of the process is correct, so it's likely the problem is not with the finished product, but the settings on your media players or TV.  Check those.

• 7. Re: Aspect Ratio Issues in Premier Pro CS 5.5
                      Stan Jones Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What are your Encore project settings?

What is your Encore transcode setting? (I assume automatic, but let's see.)

Players, particularly sotware players, may look right or wrong even if they are the opposite. And Jim points out that the player and TV are not givens.

Part of the question is whether the transcoded video is 16:9 or 4:3. You can examine the characterists of one of the timline vob files with mediainfo or gspot.

• 8. Re: Aspect Ratio Issues in Premier Pro CS 5.5

I took your sample file into Pr, created a matching sequence, sent that sequence to Encore, created a new PAL DVD project, auto-transcoded and built a disc image, burned the image to a DVD and played the DVD in one of my hardware DVD players.

Everything worked perfectly.

I suspect your issue is in the setup of your hardware player and/or TV.

Jeff

• 9. Re: Aspect Ratio Issues in Premier Pro CS 5.5
                          flagg1209 Level 1

My apologies for not coming back and replying earlier. You were right. Although I made mistakes in the initial production, once I fixed those, the DVD still wouldn't play so I went and checked my hardware settings. It seems my daughter (probably) had been playing with the TV settings and had zoomed the screen. As a result, everything was playing slightly zoomed. Once I changed it back to true widescreen, my DVD player perfectly. Thanks for all your help

• 10. Re: Aspect Ratio Issues in Premier Pro CS 5.5
                            Jim_Simon Level 8

I get a call about once a month from a family member whose kids have changed one setting or another.