3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 11, 2013 6:44 AM by [Jongware]

How to edit a path and its text wrap of zero simultaneously?

TommyTwoBrains Level 1

When I try to select a point on a polygon - with a Text Wrap of zero - I merely select a point on the Text Wrap  instead. The Text Wrap path appears to be above the polygon path to which it is attached. How do I select an actual polygon point?

The larger problem is editing a polygon (point or points) and the Text Wrap simultaneously - rather than the two paths acting independently.

At the moment, I have to switch the Text Wrap off, edit the shape, then switch the Text Wrap of zero back on. Surely, the most common use of Text Wraps on polygons is to push text away from a polygon that follows the outline of an image - why, therefore, is it default that you can move a Text Wrap point(s) without moving the parent point(s) on the polygon – and vice versa – at once? How can they be connected so when one moves, the other moves?

• 1. Re: How to edit a path and its text wrap of zero simultaneously?
          [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

If I draw a polygon and assign text wrap -- "Wrap around object shape" -- I see the same thing, a polygon vertex and two additional 'text wrap' points real close by. But I can select the polygon point without any problems, even with the view in a small zoom setting. For me, InDesign seems to prefer to select the polygon point, not the text wrap points. If I want to adjust the text wrapping, I *do* have to zoom in close enough to see and click the separate points.

With "Wrap around object shape", the text wrapping automatically adjusts when I change the polygon -- unless, that is, I changed one of the text wrap points. In that case ID disconnects the text wrap from the polygon -- and I think that's what you'd typically want.

It seems these two points are related to both of your problems. Because you accidentally select text wrap points instead of polygon points, you "change" the text wrap path, and from then on they are disconnected.

What version of ID are you using? It works for me as described above in CS4.

• 2. Re: How to edit a path and its text wrap of zero simultaneously?
            TommyTwoBrains Level 1

For me - in CS6 - the Text Wrap path can behave as though it is above the polygon path which is frustrating if the Text Wrap is set to Zero. Though it is irregular......

Try this ...polygon with Text Wrap of Zero - nothing selected - select a point - move the point - works! (in that the polygon path moves and the Text Wrap path moves with it) - but then (without de-selecting the polygon) - select a different point - move the point - only the Text Wrap has been moved and, from then on, the polygon and Text Wrap are disconnected (unless the whole thing is selected).

I realise if the Text Wrap is set to something other than Zero, this is not an issue as the two paths are easily distinguished and, unless you deliberately choose a Text Wrap path point and adjust it, the two paths remain happily connected, but having it set to Zero gives me the most precise control. At the moment, I switch Text Wrap off and on repeatedly whilst adjusting the polygon otherwise I end up with lots of wires everywhere. I think it should be harder to disconnect a Text Wrap from its parent polygon - not sure why anyone would want to disconnect the two in any case!

• 3. Re: How to edit a path and its text wrap of zero simultaneously?
              [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

TommyTwoBrains wrote:

Try this ...polygon with Text Wrap of Zero - nothing selected - select a point - move the point - works! (in that the polygon path moves and the Text Wrap path moves with it) - but then (without de-selecting the polygon) - select a different point - move the point - only the Text Wrap has been moved and, from then on, the polygon and Text Wrap are disconnected (unless the whole thing is selected).

Okay, I get the same thing, although not always. But "sometimes" is just as annoying.

Text wraps have a property "userModifiedWrap", which indicates "[i]f true, the text wrap path has been explicitly modified by the user". Unfortunately, it's a read-only property, and I cannot find a method to somehow 'reset' the paths to the original wrap using a script.