8 Replies Latest reply on Jan 11, 2013 7:42 AM by the_wine_snob

PE11 Dual Monitor Problem

alanmcsheehy Level 1

I am having big problems moving PE11 workspace anywhere.

I have 2 monitors and want to move workspace to monitor 2 and keep the timeline on monitor 1.

If I try to move PE11 workspace anywhere it goes crazy. Lots of graphics lines messed up.

PE10 still works fine. I can undock and move windows anywhere I want.

Using Dual monitor workspace works fine on its on, i can keep main workspace on Monitor 1 and Timeline on Monitor 2, which I can live with but would love it to move anywhere problem free.

Thanks

Alan

• 1. Re: PE11 Dual Monitor Problem
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

You don't say what you're doing to work on the program in two monitors, but you'll find the Dual Monitor setting under the program's Window menu. This separates the Timeline from the Monitor and the other tools.

It certainly works for me on Windows 7. No bugginess at all.

Although, naturally, the larger you make the Monitor, the grainier it's going to look -- and the more power it needs to play.

• 2. Re: PE11 Dual Monitor Problem
            alanmcsheehy Level 1

Hi Steve,

I'm using the  Dual Monitor option to move the timeline from the Monitor 1 (Left) to Monitor 2 (Right). This is working fine.

What I wanted was the other way round. Main workspace on Right Monitor (2) and Timeline on Left Monitor (1), this is when I get graphics problems.

Computer spec is I3 2120, 16Gb Ram and Windows 7 Ultimate.

Thanks

Alan

• 3. Re: PE11 Dual Monitor Problem

I've heard of people having trouble putting the main program on their #2 monitor. It's never been a problem for me -- but I've heard of it. I've also heard of people having problems putting their Windows Taskbar on the #2 monitor, but it's not been a problem for me.

Have you tried swapping the numbers of your monitors in Windows? You can still have the same one on the left and the same one on the right. You'll just be making your #1 monitor the one on the right.

BTW, you do have the latest video card drivers downloaded from either the ATI or nVidia web site, right? You aren't just using the Windows driver.

• 4. Re: PE11 Dual Monitor Problem
                alanmcsheehy Level 1

Hi Steve,

Thanks, swapping monitor 2 and 1 in Graphics properties has worked.

Still cant move main workspace anywhere though. Must be a graphics thing.

RE Video Card drivers, I dont have a graphics card I'm using the onboard graphics on the intel chip., so I presume I have no drivers to update?

Thanks

Alan

• 5. Re: PE11 Dual Monitor Problem
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

With the Intel HD display chip, there IS a driver, but Intel does not update them as frequently, as nVidia and ATI do, unfortunately.

If you have a Dell, HP, Lenovo, etc. computer, then the mfgr. might have newer drivers for the embedded Intel chip.

PrE, more than most other programs, needs to interface with the video driver at a very high level, and obsolete video drivers can be a problem with it - where most other programs (that do not interface so closely with the driver), will work just fine.

If you have a desktop machine, you might consider turning OFF the Intel chip (probably in the BIOS, but maybe on the MoBo), and installing an nVidia, or ATI card instead. The performance should be better, and the driver support certainly will be. The Intel chips are OK for general computing, but with CAD, 3D and video-editing, they can fall short. Just a thought. With a laptop, one is pretty much limited to the display chip that comes on the MoBo.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: PE11 Dual Monitor Problem
                    alanmcsheehy Level 1

Thanks Bill,

How do I update the Intel HD display chip driver?

I built my computer myself so its not Dell or HP, but still my knowledge is limited.

Alan

• 7. Re: PE11 Dual Monitor Problem

I agree with Bill. If you're running a desktop computer, you may want to drop an ATI or nVidia graphics card in. An onboard Intel graphics system could well be responsible for the buggy behavior you're seeing. Graphics cards can be had for under $50, and you likely have a PCI-Express slot on your motherboard just waiting for one.

If you're on a laptop, however, you're kind of stuck.

• 8. Re: PE11 Dual Monitor Problem
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

For Intel drivers, I would start here: http://downloadcenter.intel.com/

I am not really familiar with Intel's download site (unlike nVidia's), so it's all new to me. Historically, the one weakness to the Intel chips is the lack of driver support - they are, however, great chips.

As Steve points out, a good graphics card from nVidia, or ATI, will not be expensive. Almost any current card, with 1GB of RAM, will be adequate, unless you are into extreme-gaming, or heavy 3D work. The important aspects are:

1. One gets dedicated VRAM for the video, rather than a shared segment from the MoBo's RAM.
                        2. Constantly updated video drivers

One of the big pluses, regarding drivers, is that even simple OS updates can render a video driver obsolete. That is one reason that nVidia & ATI issue them about one/mo. I also like to keep an older driver in a handy folder on my computer, as any video driver release has a slight potential for not working properly with certain programs. As the extreme-gaming industy drives most of the video card and driver R&D, each driver released is not fully tested on all other program types. Going back some years now, nVidia added some 3D viewing headset modifications, but those did not play well with some Adobe programs. Lately, ATI/AMD has had two driver releases, that did not play well with Photoshop. It can happen, so I keep a few of the older ones handy, just in case.

Good luck,

Hunt