12 Replies Latest reply on Feb 25, 2013 4:29 PM by PierreLouisBeranek

Has Multicam edit changed in CS6?

Aidan Bell Level 1

For a number of years now I've successfully edited theatre shows using multicam. I don't edit in real time, live, I don't use the "record" feature; I move through slowly and methodically, clicking on whichever camera I want in the multicam view, and these choices are then reflected as cuts in the timeline.

I've just started my first project in CS6 and am shocked to discover that appears to be no longer the case. It seems that I now can only edit in real time, using "record" and clicking "live". I'm keeping my fingers tightly crossed that I've simply got the wrong setting somewhere. Can anyone please advise? I'd be most grateful.

• 1. Re: Has Multicam edit changed in CS6?
          cfg_2451 Level 2

One way is to ctrl-click in the mulit-camera editor panel on the camera angle you want to use. This will make a cut in the timeline, and the footage following the cut will be for the newly selected camera angle. So you most definitely are not required to switch camera angles in real time. Although I have to admit that working that way certainly does focus my attention.

• 2. Re: Has Multicam edit changed in CS6?
            Aidan Bell Level 1

Aha! Many thanks indeed.
            That's exactly how I'm used to working, except with the - highly anoying - addition of "ctrl" (ie, previously I just clicked, now I have to "ctrl-click").  I wonder if that can be adjusted under shortcuts, perhaps?

• 3. Re: Has Multicam edit changed in CS6?
              Aidan Bell Level 1

Can anyone offer any further suggestions regarding this issue please?

I've now been editing for some hours using "ctrl-click"; it's working, but after several years of just "click" my muscle-memory is taking a lot of persuading to remember to use "ctrl". In CS6 "click" on its own now changes the camera choice of the latest cut made. This means that not only am I having to learn a new way of editing, but every time I forget to use "ctrl" and just "click" like I'm used to doing, I mess up my last edit!

Does anyone know of, or can anyone suggest, a way to revert this to pre-CS6?

• 4. Re: Has Multicam edit changed in CS6?
                PierreLouisBeranek Level 1

Hi Aidan,

A better way might be to map keyboard shortcuts to 'Cut to Camera 1', 2, 3, 4, etc.  With the Multicamera window active, simply press Play to start playback, or use the JKL keys.  When you find the point you want to cut at, stop playback and press the key corresponding to the camera you want to cut to.  I map my camera angles to the number keys 1, 2, 3, 4.

Hope this helps.  If you find Multi-camera editing confusing... it's because IT IS!  I hope Adobe improves this area of Premiere Pro soon and stops making silly changes from one version to another.

• 5. Re: Has Multicam edit changed in CS6?
                  Aidan Bell Level 1

Many thanks. In fact I've already tried what you suggest, but that again is another new way of working that my fingers and my subconscious would have to learn!

Having used PremPro Multi-camera editing for years, and being completely subconsciously used to working with the mouse, clicking the camera I want to cut to, I'm just finding it infuriating that CS6 has changed things and made it no longer possible for me to work in the way I have been doing for so long.

I know, I know ... "Change is inevitable, deal with it" - Grrrr!

• 6. Re: Has Multicam edit changed in CS6?

Hi Aidan,

Ultimately, I think users should be given the choice of how Multi-camera editing works.

i.e. Click on Camera:

1. = Cut to Camera
                    2. = Select Camera

Something that would be really cool would be the ability to wirelessly display the Multi-camera window on an iPad or other tablet for a hands-on tactile way of cutting between cameras.  What do you think?

• 7. Re: Has Multicam edit changed in CS6?
                      Aidan Bell Level 1

Ten days and a three-hour musical project later, I do agree with you PierreLouis. I'm now starting to get used to the new way of working and it's no longer the problem that it was when I started this post, but I do still believe that we shouldn't have to go through such compulsory re-learning. I can't believe that it would not be possible to have changeable shortcuts in multi-camera editing, in the same way that a myriad other commands do. Oh well. Please take note Adobe ... CS7 !

• 8. Re: Has Multicam edit changed in CS6?

Adobe, please take note of how FCPX does multicam editing, for example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmFmyXWaQHM.

• auto syncing using audio (i.e. free integrated Plural Eyes software functionality)
                        • Timeline and Program Monitor integration (i.e. pressing play in the Timeline/Program Monitor also plays video angles in the Multicam window and vice versa, not either or as is currently the case in CS6)
                        • ability to display just 2 camera angles intelligently (i.e. just one above the other instead of side by side above 2 empty black camera angles)
                        • etc.

Please add this to PP!

Thank you!

• 9. Re: Has Multicam edit changed in CS6?
                          Aidan Bell Level 1

I'm not sure whether you've just made my day or ruined it!!

AUTO SYNCING USING AUDIO??!! I want it NOW!!

• 10. Re: Has Multicam edit changed in CS6?

Hi Aidan,

You can get that feature with Plural Eyes.  But I like Apple's approach of integrating it directly into FCPX, foregoing the need for a third party app.  Lets both send our Feature Requests and keep our fingers crossed!

• 11. Re: Has Multicam edit changed in CS6?
                              Aidan Bell Level 1

I've Googled and Plural Eyes seems to be only available for Mac Do you know if there's a PC version, or else an alternative third-party plugin that does the same thing?

• 12. Re: Has Multicam edit changed in CS6?

Hi Aidan,

Even though I've never used it, it seems that Plural Eyes 2 is already available for Windows, and version 3 is coming soon, according to Red Giant.

Hope this helps.  Cheers