4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 28, 2016 11:20 AM by typeitasoneword

"Printing Error: The Adobe Print Engine has failed to output your data due to an unknown problem."

meganlvaughn

I'm getting this error when I try to print from InDesign CS6.

"Printing Error: The Adobe Print Engine has failed to output your data due to an unknown problem."

I am printing a booklet, two-sided, scale to fit on 8 1/2 x 14, and each time I try to print it, it will print the first 3 or 4 spreads just fine, then bring up this error. I have seen this page on troubleshooting and attempted a few of those solutions already... http://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/error-print-engine-failed-print.html

I had one PDF placed in the file and replaced it with a jpeg, all the images are jpegs or tiffs, there are no errors showing up in my document, and I don't think it's a problem with the font since the first few pages print just fine. I have also tried to rename my default and saved data files multiple times, but that doesn't work either.

It will also not let me export a PDF as a booklet, the same error occurs.

• 1. Re: "Printing Error: The Adobe Print Engine has failed to output your data due to an unknown problem."
          Manish-Sharma Employee Moderator

Is it file specific issue or happening with new file as well ?

What is you OS ? and have you updated Indesign to the latest version ?

• 2. Re: "Printing Error: The Adobe Print Engine has failed to output your data due to an unknown problem."
            CC Mag

I was receiving the exact same message. Trying to delete the preferences and reinstalling the software didn't help, but I was able to figure out the problem. From what you wrote, I would suspect that you have a graphic or image that InDesign cannot print. The first few pages print fine; it is the page immediately after those that has the problem.. Most likely, you have an offending graphic located on that page, and possibly on other pages that follow.

Try deleting everything from that page. If the page will print blank, then start adding back in the elements that you removed one by one, until you find the culprit. In my case, I had copied and pasted an image from a Word document directly into InDesign. Apparently InDesgin didn't like that.  I got the page to print by copying the image into a new file in Photoshop, saving out as a tif, and then linking it to my InDesign document. I had ohter images in the same document that were also preventing the document from printing that I also had to put through this process.

I hope that this at least helps you eliminate a potential cause for your problem, and gets you on the right track for figuring out what is wrong.

Dave

• 3. Re: "Printing Error: The Adobe Print Engine has failed to output your data due to an unknown problem."
              LMojer

I just spent hours addressing this print-and-PDF-export error, and watched multiple export failures in order to narrow down the page at which the export stopped. The only thing I had done differently was cut-and-paste material directly from an Excel spreadsheet into a text block. Once I removed that text (presumably containing some sort of spreadsheet CSV code), the export resumed as expected. Just wanted to share, in case this saves any brain damage elsewhere. - Linda 

• 4. Re: "Printing Error: The Adobe Print Engine has failed to output your data due to an unknown problem."
                typeitasoneword

I just got the same error when I tried to print. 

· I tried closing the application and restarting.

· I tried updating to the newest version.

· I tried uninstalling all versions on my computer and reinstalling them. 

None of that was working. 

Then, I started deleting individual images and text boxes to see if any of those were keeping it from printing.

It turned out to be a certain text box that was causing the problem, and when I deleted it, I was able to print.

So, I brought back the text box via Undo, and changed the font, thinking the font file was damaged somehow...  but it still wouldn't print.

I eventually just deleted the text box all together, dragged out a new one, retyped the information, and I had no problems printing.

Hope this helps someone in some way, as I know how frustrated you might be if you're reading this now.