11 Replies Latest reply on Jan 12, 2013 2:49 PM by JJMack

Why "Place" command won't place other PSD precisely?

Rodan_Shiner

Hello. I am using Photoshop CS6.

I have a question about photoshop command Place.(File- Place) .

Here are some pictures below. Please see them. It shows the problem.

rapture_20130112032020.png

rapture_20130112032021.png

rapture_20130112032022.png

I opened the PSD file that has a green circle(picture 1) and using Place command to import other PSD file that has a red circle(picture2). Those 2 PSD files are same size, same canvas size, 1024x1024. So it should place the red circle precisely on the green circle, but as you can see, if I import the red circle PSD into Green circle PSD, Place command won't place the red circle pensively on the green circle. There is a gap between those 2 circles.(Picture3) It's really frustrating, because I have to move the red circle layer manually to place it just onto the green circle.

This command "Place" isn't reliable, so usually I don't use this command, and use Duplicate layer or group to import contents of other PSD, but if Place command can import other PSD file without this gap problem, I will use it because it's much faster than duplicating.

Do you know why and how to place  those 2 files without the gap? Is it a glitch? I should not use Place command to import other PSD file?  Thank you in advance.

• 1. Re: Why "Place" command won't place other PSD precisely?
          TLL... Level 3

I don't use 'place either so I can't vouch for its accuracy. But, with 2 documents with the exact same pixel dimensions open, if I hold down the shift key (win) and drag one of the images onto another, they will align exactly. I do this all the time...

• 2. Re: Why "Place" command won't place other PSD precisely?
            conroy Level 5

Rodan_Shiner wrote:

Do you know why and how to place  those 2 files without the gap?

Press Cmd/Ctrl+A (Select All) in the main document then do the Place.

• 3. Re: Why "Place" command won't place other PSD precisely?
              JJMack Most Valuable Participant

Works fine on my system created two psd 1024x1024 72dpi in each I added a second layer over the 1024x1024 white background on with a red circle and one with a green circle save one as red.psd the second as green.psd.  Open a new 1024x1024 72dpi document. the place in the red.psd then the green.psd accepting the default transform each time saved as placedfiles.psd you can download it from here http://www.mouseprints.net/old/dpr/placedfiles.psd

Just add a layer mask to show all align in a screen capture

sc.jpg

• 4. Re: Why "Place" command won't place other PSD precisely?
                conroy Level 5

JJ, the problem is that Place alignment to centre of canvas is unreliable without a selection of the canvas. I can easily set up conditions where the place is correctly centred without an active selection (such as your example of the canvas sitting in centre of a 100% zoom). However, to be reliable at arbitrary zooms and when the canvas may not be centred in the document window, a selection of the canvas is required as a target for the Place. I believe a Place without selection is supposed to be centred in the document window regardless of canvas relationship to window, and that a Place with selection is supposed to be centred on the centre of the selection bounding rectangle. (There can also be the unavoidable half-pixel misalignment of centres when a dimension of the placed object is odd and the corresponding target dimension is even and vice versa, but that doesn't apply to the OP's case of a pair of 1024 x 1024 documents.)

• 5. Re: Why "Place" command won't place other PSD precisely?
                  Rodan_Shiner Level 1

it works. Like you said, this selection makes the target to execute Place command precisely?

Anyway, thank you for your useful advance. I can use Place command without worrying about a gap.

conroy wrote:

Rodan_Shiner wrote:

Do you know why and how to place  those 2 files without the gap?

Press Cmd/Ctrl+A (Select All) in the main document then do the Place.

• 6. Re: Why "Place" command won't place other PSD precisely?
                    conroy Level 5

Rodan_Shiner wrote:

it works. Like you said, this selection makes the target to execute Place command precisely?

Yes, the selection makes a target for the Place.

• 7. Re: Why "Place" command won't place other PSD precisely?

Conroy what you wrote may well be correct.  However I was reproducing what the op wrote he did. Where all document were Placed files were PSD file all stated to all the same size and resolution.  That particular case place should work the way the op thought it should at least on my Windows machine it does.  However if the Files do not have a visible background and other layers have some transparency.  Photoshop may do some other alignment.  The OP most likely thought they did one thing and in reality the did scotching else.

When you use place it can be very trickery there is a lot to deal with even in a script.. For Photoshop may also scale a placed file if it is larger then the document its being placed into. Depending Photoshop preferences.  Therfore I alway scale the placed smart object layer to 100% size so I can get its acrual pixel size I then select the area I want the image to cover. I then scale the smart object layer to cover that area and align the scaled layer to the selections center then mask the layer with the selection to virtually crop off any excess.  Place is a complex beast

• 8. Re: Why "Place" command won't place other PSD precisely?
                        conroy Level 5

JJMack wrote:

Conroy what you wrote may well be correct.  However I was reproducing what the op wrote he did. Where all document were Placed files were PSD file all stated to all the same size and resolution.  That particular case place should work the way the op thought it should at least on my Windows machine it does.

You made assumptions about what the OP did. The OP did not state the zoom level and whether the canvas was exactly centred in the window. These factors make all the difference between a precisely centred Place and an off-centre Place when there is no selection to act as a target for the Place. I provided a method to ensure the Place is centred on the canvas regardless of zoom level and canvas location in window.

• 9. Re: Why "Place" command won't place other PSD precisely?

The only assumption I made was that full document was on screen at some zoom level.  In which case it should work if all were same size and resolution. To me if you look at his third image it looks like either some scaling was done or the green and red circle were not the same size.  Even when you do a select all selection and the placed is centered image must be the same size for them to align up if no reszing or scaling is done.

The OP stated psd were same size 1024x1024 he did not state the diameters or location of the circles centers in these 1024x1024 canvases.

• 10. Re: Why "Place" command won't place other PSD precisely?
                            conroy Level 5

JJMack wrote:

[Blah blah blah]

And here we go again.