8 Replies Latest reply on Jan 12, 2013 10:36 AM by the_wine_snob

What does "Offline (filter unavailable)" mean in the "fx" tab?

whsprague Level 4

I opened a project that had been dormant for a few weeks.  Uneter the "fx" adjustment tab, the usual "Motion" and "Opacity" are listed as applied effects.  A third one is "Offline (filter unavailable)".  I do nor recall what additional effect I applied, if any. 

What does it mean?  Is there something I need to fix?

Thanks.

Bill

• 1. Re: What does "Offline (filter unavailable)" mean in the "fx" tab?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

What version of the program are you using? And what operating system?

Can you post a screen capture of the Applied Effects or Properties panel with this error message? I've never seen anything like this?

Do you see this message whenever you select a clip on your timeline or does it only appear when you select a certain clip?

• 2. Re: What does "Offline (filter unavailable)" mean in the "fx" tab?
            whsprague Level 4

I know better than to leave out the details!

PrE 11, Windows 7 64bit.  It appears for some of the clips, but not all.  It does not seem to have damaged anything.

Offline.jpg

• 3. Re: What does "Offline (filter unavailable)" mean in the "fx" tab?
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Bill,

As Steve posted, I have never seen that either.

Besides the Offline (filter unavailable), there is a triangle (just to the left). If you twirl that open, do you see any parameters? If so, then a screen-cap of those might allow someone to recognize what that Effect is, or is supposed to be.

Now, you mention Opacity and Motion. Those are Fixed Effects, and are automatically created and applied to every Clip, Still, Title, etc., when dragged to the Timeline. They start with there parameters at a default, though they can be changed.

The only thing that I can think of is that maybe a 3rd party Effect was added, and for whatever reason, it's no longer available - could have been deleted, could have become corrupt, could be something else?

Was this Project begun, and worked on, on this same machine? If so, then I would wonder what that Effect was, and why it is no longer available to PrE. If it was started on another machine, then it could well be a 3rd party Effect, like maybe Neat Video, or one of the commercial (not included in PrE's installation) NewBlue FX Effects.

Good luck, and let us know if that triangle reveals anything.

Hunt

[Edit] You have not deleted any AEX, or FX files, have you? Most of the Effects have one of those extensions.

• 4. Re: What does "Offline (filter unavailable)" mean in the "fx" tab?
                whsprague Level 4

Bill Hunt wrote:

Bill,

As Steve posted, I have never seen that either.

Besides the Offline (filter unavailable), there is a triangle (just to the left). If you twirl that open, do you see any parameters? If so, then a screen-cap of those might allow someone to recognize what that Effect is, or is supposed to be.

Now, you mention Opacity and Motion. Those are Fixed Effects, and are automatically created and applied to every Clip, Still, Title, etc., when dragged to the Timeline. They start with there parameters at a default, though they can be changed.

The only thing that I can think of is that maybe a 3rd party Effect was added, and for whatever reason, it's no longer available - could have been deleted, could have become corrupt, could be something else?

Was this Project begun, and worked on, on this same machine? If so, then I would wonder what that Effect was, and why it is no longer available to PrE. If it was started on another machine, then it could well be a 3rd party Effect, like maybe Neat Video, or one of the commercial (not included in PrE's installation) NewBlue FX Effects.

Good luck, and let us know if that triangle reveals anything.

Hunt

[Edit] You have not deleted any AEX, or FX files, have you? Most of the Effects have one of those extensions.

"As Steve posted, I have never seen that either."

That is three of us!

"there is a triangle (just to the left). If you twirl that open, do you see any parameters? If so, then a screen-cap "

twirl.jpg

"maybe a 3rd party Effect was added"

I have not done that.

"Was this Project begun, and worked on, on this same machine? If so, then I would wonder what that Effect was, and why it is no longer available to PrE."

Yes, same machine.  With a three week lag in the project, I fogot what effects I may have applied.  The light was terrible in some clips, so I may have tried to adjust for it.

"You have not deleted any AEX, or FX files, have you?"

No. 

Again, everything seems to be working.  This is more of a puzzle than a problem!

Thanks.

Bill

• 5. Re: What does "Offline (filter unavailable)" mean in the "fx" tab?
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Bill,

Thank you. It was a bit of a "shot in the dark," as I noticed the triangle.

I am at a loss to explain that error, and what is showing.

Wish that I had something to offer, beyond good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: What does "Offline (filter unavailable)" mean in the "fx" tab?
                    Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Do you see that code only on that clip or on any clip you select?

What happens if you click the trashcan to delete that effect listing?

What happens if you delete the clip and re-add it to your timeline for your Project Assets?

• 7. Re: What does "Offline (filter unavailable)" mean in the "fx" tab?
                      whsprague Level 4

Sorry I'm slow at getting back. 

@Steve and Bill:  Thanks for sharing your valuable time with me.

This project started as a very long single clip of a family elder speaking about life in the 1920's through the 1950's on an Idaho farm.  Light and sound were not controllable and terrible.  I chopped the clip into pieces so I could add transitions and titles between topics and try to work with the light and sound.  The goal is to make Blu-Rays and DVDs to give to family members that want them.  Yes, the project is bigger than I expected or wanted!

@Steve:  It showed up on several, but nowhere near all the pieces of the major clip.  Clicking the trashcan makes it go away without viable change.  If I add the original very long clip, the effect is not there.

I suspect I tried an adjustment and deleted or turned it off.  Since I've been working on this on and off for months, I can't remember what that attempt was. 

No need to spend further time on this for me as it does not seem to be causing any issues.

Thanks again.

Bill

PS:  If anybody ever asks, don't volunteer to do the video at a family reunion.  Dear old Aunt Rula "talked" for about 4 hours.  To make it fun, I had my granddaughters be the shooters and I promised to do the editing.

• 8. Re: What does "Offline (filter unavailable)" mean in the "fx" tab?
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

I suspect I tried an adjustment and deleted or turned it off.  Since I've been working on this on and off for months, I can't remember what that attempt was.

Bill,

That is the most likely explanation for that Effect being on some of the sub-Clips, but what I do not understand is why it is no longer available to you now.

Did you perhaps start in an earlier version of PrE, then move on to a newer one? As Effects sort of "come and go" in PrE, that would explain why one in an older version, might not exist in a newer one. As a side-note, in Premeire Pro, there are some Effects and Transitions, that exist only in the PC version, and are missing from the Mac version. Not sure if there are any such "omissions" in PrE though. Perhaps Steve (as he is X-platform) can comment on any Effects differences between PC and Mac?

I have encountered something similar to what you did, but at a different stage. I inherited a big Project, that had been started in Premiere (before the "Pro" days) 6.5 on a Mac. I Opened it in PrPro 2.0 on my PC. Nearly everything came in just fine, but in one case, there was an older, Mac-specific Transition (cannot recall its name now), that did not exist in my PC PrPro. As the Project Opened, I got a message, telling me about the missing Transition, and it even gave the name of the Transition, then pointed out the TimeCode where it appeared (three instances, IIRC). Same for one Effect, that just did not exist on PrPro, and the TimeCode where that had been used. I made notes on those TimeCode locations, let the Project Open completely, then navigated to those locations, adding a Cross-Dissolve in those spots. I think that I just ignored the missing Effect, as it had only been used once, and I could not tell what the old one was supposed to do. On that Clip, and again from memory, I did not get a notation, like yours. I think that the one Effect was just not there any longer, after Opening. Similar, but really different.

Good luck with the Project - I've "been there, and done that," and while it can be great fun, and rewarding, IS a lot of work, and too many do not appreciate what goes into something like that.

Hunt