39 Replies Latest reply on Jan 25, 2013 10:57 AM by Fuzzy Barsik

Ernie T

conwaysc Level 1

Do I need to fix a time line problem in premiere pro CS5.5 before I upgrade to CS6?

• 1. Re: Ernie T
          shooternz Level 6

Hard to answer without knowing what the "timeline problem" is  ...and what you are doing !

• 2. Re: Ernie T
            conwaysc Level 1

Time line won't play because of a codec problem

• 3. Re: Ernie T
              shooternz Level 6

How do you know its a codec problem?

How about some more info also.

• 4. Re: Ernie T
                conwaysc Level 1

I went into fourms in May asking this question and found that I couldn"t answer all the questions i was asked.     I am an 80 old man who likes video editing as a hobby but don't know too much about the tech. stuff    Why I use Premiere pro is because my very 1st combuter came with a LE edition of adobe Premiere and I have upgraded ever since.  I did OK with  the program  at least good enough for me.   I intend to give my computer to a friends son who is into video editing but I would like to have it running  better then it is now.   Thats why I was going to upgrade to CS6.

• 5. Re: Ernie T
                  shooternz Level 6

Assumeably you are intending to upgrade to CS6 before you give your computer to your friend.

That may or may not fix the issue with your "timeline". (It may install some system codecs you need or maybe not)

The  issue is more to do with the type of footage you have on that particular timeline in that particular CS5.5 project.

What is the footage codec that is missing?

Considering you are giving away the computer...that issue may not be a problem to the new user because he/she will be working with his /her own project and footage.

• 6. Re: Ernie T
                    conwaysc Level 1

I never did answer your question.   I received posts from John T. Smith andbill Hunt and they thought that it was codecs

• 7. Re: Ernie T
                      conwaysc Level 1

Not sure what you mean.  But i will tell what I was attemptind to do.   I Had three AVI sequences going with Photos and video of a vacation and when I was done burn it onto a DVD.  I have no Idea what Codec Is missing. 

• 8. Re: Ernie T
                        conwaysc Level 1

The timeline problem was t6hat it wouldn't play back.

• 9. Re: Ernie T
                          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>never did answer your question

OK... here are the questions, again... with, again, the links to programs that will allow you to answer

What are you editing, and does your project match your video?

Read Bill Hunt on a file type as WRAPPER http://forums.adobe.com/thread/440037

What is a CODEC... a Primer http://forums.adobe.com/thread/546811

What CODEC is INSIDE that file? http://forums.adobe.com/thread/440037

Report back with the codec details of your file, use the programs below... a screen shot works well to SHOW people what you are doing

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/592070?tstart=30

For PC http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en or http://www.headbands.com/gspot/

For Mac http://mediainspector.massanti.com/

http://blogs.adobe.com/premiereprotraining/2011/02/red-yellow-and-green-render-bars.html

If you have a red line over the timeline after importing a video and before adding any effects... your project is wrong for your video... read above about codecs

Once you know exactly what it is you are editing, report back with that information... and your project setting, and if there is a red line above the video in the timeline, which indicates a mismatch between video and project

Also, the general questions you need to answer are in the Information FAQ http://forums.adobe.com/message/4200840

If you can't answer those questions, there is really no way anyone may help

• 10. Re: Ernie T
                            Fuzzy Barsik Level 4

Let's start from the very beginning. As far as I was able to understand, you had upgraded to 5.0.3, which allowed you to switch Mercury Playback Engine to GPU mode.

Now try to create a brand new project, import several footages into it, build test timeline and report how it's going.

• 11. Re: Ernie T
                              shooternz Level 6

The timeline problem was t6hat it wouldn't play back.

Are you saying...the timeline would play none of the media on it at all or ever?

• 12. Re: Ernie T
                                conwaysc Level 1

I guess you gave up on me and I don't blame you.   thanks anyway.

• 13. Re: Ernie T
                                  Fuzzy Barsik Level 4

See my comment above: let's try to create a new project from scratch - that may help us to understand and nail down your issue.

• 14. Re: Ernie T
                                    conwaysc Level 1

Sorry I didn't get back to you.   I will try to create a new project from scratch and get back to you as soon as I can.   Thanks for sticking with me,

• 15. Re: Ernie T
                                      conwaysc Level 1

Starting from Scratch--I have Adobe Premiere Pro CS5             My operating system is Windows 7- 64bit Service pack 1- C-drive 379GB free space D-drive 498GB free space

8 Gb installed Memory.   I have a Belarc Advisor Computer Profile Summary printed out to answer anything elce you need to know about my Computer.   I cleaned out all of the old projects and started a new project.  I imported 2 AVI video clips and was still unable to play the timeline.   I  played the clips from my Video documents with windows midia player with out any problems. and then  draged and droped the clip into GSpot with results as follows-- Under Video> Codec> 4CC-dvsd/   Name DVC/DV Video Under Stat> 5 compatible codecs installed-- Under More Info> the following codecs all claim to be capable of processing thi format:---DV Video Decoder--AVI Draw--Main concept DVCPro HD video decoder--Main Concept DVC 50 Video decoder-- Main Concept DV Video decoder--Directshow is apparently able to play the file as well.   After I rendered the video clips on the time line  I and draged and droped them into GSpot and the result was ---Not an AVI File.   Every thing elce had a NA in the box..

• 16. Re: Ernie T
                                        Fuzzy Barsik Level 4

1. How did you create a sequence for those AVI files in PrPro?

2. Could you upload a screenshot of your project timeline?

• 17. Re: Ernie T
                                          conwaysc Level 1

I knew I would forget something.    My sequence Presets are> NTSC  Standard 48KHz General settings I don't change.   The Video rendering playback is> Mercury playback engine GPU Acceleration.   One of your questions was did the timeline playback ever work.   I have this program since 1999 an LE edition and never had this playback problem before.

• 18. Re: Ernie T
                                            conwaysc Level 1

I imported two avi video clips into the timeline.    I will do my best to upload a screenshot. I never did it before but I'll learn

• 19. Re: Ernie T
                                              the_wine_snob Level 9

For the screen-caps, this article might be useful: http://forums.adobe.com/message/2643538#2643538

Good luck,

Hunt

• 20. Re: Ernie T
                                                Fuzzy Barsik Level 4

So as to create a screenshot on Windows 7 you can also utilise built-in Snipping Tool:

1. Click Windows Start button in the bottom left corner.

2. Choose All Programs ->  Accessories -> Snipping Tool. Snipping Tool starts.

3. Move your mouse cursor to e.g. monitor top left corner, hold down left mouse button, drag mouse cursor to bottom right corner and release the mouse - Snipping Tool opens a new window with just grabbed image.

4. Go to File -> Save As... and save your file as PNG or JPG.

5. Use Bill's instructions on how to upload the screenshot on the Forum.

• 21. Re: Ernie T
                                                  conwaysc Level 1

Ernies  Timeline - 1.jpg.

• 22. Re: Ernie T
                                                    conwaysc Level 1

Is this OK?

• 23. Re: Ernie T
                                                      Fuzzy Barsik Level 4

Well, so far I didn't see anything that would prevent PrPro from playing back your timeline. Could you upload this test PrPro project and one of the media files sample somewhere so that we can download them and test on our machines?

• 24. Re: Ernie T
                                                        conwaysc Level 1

Where do you suggest uploading the file to?  Is there a place in adobe?

• 25. Re: Ernie T
                                                          Fuzzy Barsik Level 4

So as to share your files with us you can use any file hosting service available, e.g. Dropbox, FileFactory etc.

If you don't have an account on any of them, you have to create one (no needs to create any sort of paid account, free one is quite enough).

Once you created an account, a service lets you upload your files.

When a file has been uploaded, a service usually supplies you with a link to your uploaded file(s), which you can share with others.

So as to create a FileFactory account, you need to enter your e-mail, decide on a password, confirm it, enter CAPTCHA, tick 'I agree to the Terms' and click 'Create my account' button.

If you want to create a Dropbox account, when you fill in all the fields and click 'Sign up' button, an additional small Dropbox application starts downloading to your computer. You don't have to download and run it so as to be able to upload files to the service via Internet, but it simplifies the process a bit: this way you can just copy you files into the specially created 'Dropbox' folder on your computer, and the application synchronises your folder with your Internet Dropbox account.

Do not hesitate to ask some questions on how to use aforementioned services, if need be.

• 26. Re: Ernie T
                                                            conwaysc Level 1

Ok, i set up a dropbox account and the file is in a folder.........how do i get it to you now?

• 27. Re: Ernie T
                                                              Fuzzy Barsik Level 4

Go to your Dropbox account webpage, navigate to the files you want to share, hover a filename and click next to it - Dropbox highlights the line, and the 'Share link' option appears:

Dropbox. Sharing Links 01.jpg

Click any of them - new window opens. Click 'Get link' button:

Dropbox. Sharing Links 02.jpg

Link is copied to your clipboard. Paste it into your comment.

• 29. Re: Ernie T
                                                                Fuzzy Barsik Level 4

Got your project. Works fine with offline media.

Now share a media file sample.

By the way, which programmes have you got installed on your computer, aside from PrPro?

• 30. Re: Ernie T
                                                                  conwaysc Level 1

Programs are.

Microsoft Worhs

Adobe Photoshop elements 9

Open Office

Blue Ray Disc Suite

VTC Player

PhotoImpact Pro

Belarc Advisor

http://https://www.dropbox.com/s/y10zm9bi9pm5mq4/1-AVI%20video%20media.avi

http://https://www.dropbox.com/s/hlwaug0wgwuonzy/1-MPG%20sample%20video%20media.mpg

• 31. Re: Ernie T
                                                                    Fuzzy Barsik Level 4

Well, I can playback both your AVI and MPG samples in PrPro with no issues. Let's try to move on:

1. What actually happens when you try to playback your timeline in PrPro?

2. Can you playback your timeline, if you switch Mercury Playback Engine to Software Only mode?

3. Can you 'playback' you timeline, if you make footages offline?

4. Can you playback a timeline created out of stills?

• 32. Re: Ernie T
                                                                      conwaysc Level 1

Question.

#1  Nothing happens in the Source window   In the little Project window or on the timeline

#2  Won't play back in either one

#3  No.

#4  No.

• 33. Re: Ernie T
                                                                        conwaysc Level 1

Is it possible for an error in an update.   I ask because this all happened after I was trying to update a file that wasn't an updae but something you buy.  I forget what the name was.

I have version 5.03 is there any I didn't update?

• 34. Re: Ernie T
                                                                          shooternz Level 6

What happens if you Create a "Bars and Tone" Clip (from in Premiere) and then try and play that in the timeline?

• 35. Re: Ernie T
                                                                            Fuzzy Barsik Level 4

The latest update for PrPro CS5 is 5.0.3.

If you couldn't download 5.5.2 update, which is for CS5.5, it hardly had a chance to interfere.

If you managed to download it and then attempted to install... I don't know...

If you have the latest driver updates installed for your GeForce GTX 470 as well and still can't playback the timeline even with offline media (try Craig's suggestion about 'Bars and Tone' to see if it makes any difference, BTW), I'm almost run out of idea...

As just a ritual dance, try to

1. Clean up your Media Cache Database. Navigate to

C:\Users\Ernie\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Common\Media Cache and

C:\Users\Ernie\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Common\Media Cache Files and manually delete all files in both folders.

2. Deactivate and then reactivate PrPro

If nothing else helps, and some other worthies won't be able to give better advice, create backup copies of all files in Adobe directories you want to store, uninstall PrPro, probably, run Adobe CS Cleaner Tool and then reinstall PrPro...

• 36. Re: Ernie T
                                                                              conwaysc Level 1

Tried the Bars & Tone still won't play

• 37. Re: Ernie T
                                                                                shooternz Level 6

There is something fundamamentally wrong with your system.

Suggest ...you give it to the kid and let him sort it (Kids are good at that stuff).

Shout your self a brand new system and CS6.

• 38. Re: Ernie T
                                                                                  conwaysc Level 1

I gave up and took my computer to have a O.S Reload.    I now have an allmost brand new computer and the timeline playback works.

Thank you for putting up with me and for all your help.  I learned a lot on how to post a problem.    One more question.   What do I have to do to transfer my PPro software license to the person I am giving my computer to?

• 39. Re: Ernie T
                                                                                    Fuzzy Barsik Level 4