0 Replies Latest reply on Jan 11, 2013 1:23 PM by MC1061

Direction Needed: Storing calculated values from datagrid column in order to call values into graph

MC1061

Hi all,

I am new to Flex/Flash Builder, actionscript, and mxml, so please be kind.

I have developed a small program that has a component that displays a datagrid fed with information out of a mysql db via a php data services connection. Within that same component (page), I have a graph that charts the dates via a plot chart. I am interested in adding a line series to the graph, but the data I want to use is a calculated field in the datagrid which I used a custom lable function to derive and display. Can someone steer me to the correct method to store such values and how to call them into a chart?

Some addition information

Custom label function:

/* Custom label function for the Delta1 column. Calculates the number of days between the planting date and 10% flower. */

private function calculateTo1stFlower(item:Object, column:GridColumn):String {

var tempDate1:Date = new Date(item.dflower10 - item.dplanting);

return Math.round((tempDate1.time / MS_PER_DAY) + 1).toString();

}

/* Number of milliseconds in a day. (1000 milliseconds per second * 60 seconds per minute * 60 minutes per hour * 24 hours per day) */

private const MS_PER_DAY:uint = 1000 * 60 * 60 * 24;

Within my spark datagrid

<s:GridColumn width="30" headerText="Δ1" labelFunction="calculateTo1stFlower" ></s:GridColumn>

I assume I need to store the array of values for this column and then chart the saved values as the xField within the LineSeries. Should I use a class based model?

The following link seemed like it may be an appropriate path; I am not sure though.

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/flex/using/WS2db454920e96a9e51e63e3d11c0bf69084-7b51.html

Thanks in advance for any support,

Matthew