6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 14, 2013 4:40 AM by Peter Villevoye

Discrepancies between Edge stage and browser windows

shadowfax007 Level 1

Hello all-

As I continue to work on my new project in Edge, I have, on occasion, run across some discrepancies between the Edge stage screen and the browsers (Very few as opposed to how new the product is - The team rolled out a program that seems to be a version or two ahead of most other new software released in terms of bugs and problems!!!).  They are minor and easy to go along with what the browsers show as being correct but I thought I'd ask the Adobe team if they want me (and others on the discussion list) to report these.  If so, what and where is the best place to send a "potential" bug report?

You, the Edge team, seem to be on top of things and are SO quick to respond and fix things.  I posted the last "bug" I found and by the next morning you had already fixed it in the program - Truly "Blazing" speed, especially for a company as big as Adobe!

I know I speak for most here when I say that your response times and in-depth answers to posts are absolutely amazing and appreciated more that we tell you :-)

James

• 1. Re: Discrepancies between Edge stage and browser windows
          jbowden Adobe Employee

Hi James,

Please post any discrepancies or bugs you may run across as individual topics right here in the main forum. We check the boards fairly regularly.

Thanks,

Joe

• 2. Re: Discrepancies between Edge stage and browser windows
            shadowfax007 Level 1

OK, will do :-)

Here is one where what is displayed in Edge is different than what is displayed in browsers.  The linked page explains it in detail, with screenshots and the Edge files in a zipped format for download in case it is needed:

http://higherpowered.com/edge_files/screenshots.html

Being new to Edge, these could very well be something I have done - I'm just reporting this in the hopes it helps - not to be a "complainer" :-)

Thanks!

James

• 3. Re: Discrepancies between Edge stage and browser windows
              shadowfax007 Level 1

Ok, I think I found the problem.  The line that was missing from the right top was turned off in the timeline (unclicked the "eye" symbol to the left in the timeline).  Once I noticed this and turned it back on, the line reappeared on the Edge stage.

Question:  If something is turned "off" in the timeline, shouldn't it also not display in the browser?  I noticed with other items in the timeline that, after turning them "off", they still appeared in the browsers even though they did not appear in Edge on the stage...

James

• 4. Re: Discrepancies between Edge stage and browser windows
                jbowden Adobe Employee

Hi James,

This is actually a feature behaving as it was designed.

Visibility (and also Lock) in Edge Animate is intended for editing mode within EA - to temporarily render elements not visible (or to lock their position) while you work. This makes it easier to edit elements that may be lower in the z-order of the composition than an element that is blocking the one you want to edit (or in the case of Lock, to make an element not selectable on Stage so you don't accidentally edit it). These are intended as temporary editing settings and are not reflected in the runtime.

In HTML/CSS, we use the CSS display property to render an item visible or hidden. You can access this property for a selected element in the Properties panel, and it is keyframeable in the timeline, so that an element can be hidden or visible over time.

hth,

Joe

• 5. Re: Discrepancies between Edge stage and browser windows
                  shadowfax007 Level 1

Thanks Joe-

That makes sense.  It would be easier to be able to turn off an item and have it not render in the browser for testing but I now understand why.  I wasn't aware of the display property to turn the visibility of an item on or off - I'll use that from now on (Sometimes I'm testing and not sure if I want to keep a feature or not, so don't want to delete it from the timeline until I'm ready to do so :-)

James

• 6. Re: Discrepancies between Edge stage and browser windows
                    Peter Villevoye Adobe Community Professional

I think overall, it can be quite unclear (especially to those not familar with CSS lingo) what the differences are between "Display" (as a content property), "Visibility" (as in overflow), "Opacity" (as a percentage), and "Set Element Visibility" (show/hide while working). Especially the eye icon might confuse users. I know it's hard to come up with a better description or icon, and the popup information actually gives a very good clue. But still, it can be very confusing.