19 Replies Latest reply on Feb 2, 2013 5:49 PM by giacomo1978

Building new Pc, any other advice?

giacomo1978

Hi,

I'm building a new pc for PR. I mostly used it for short footage (personal), but with my actual PC is very annoying ( Core 2 Duo@3Ghz -4 gb ram -no cuda cores- only 2 HDD).

Then want to increase the lenght of my footage and maybe later try After Effects.

So reading on this forum, and searching on the web, I hope I found the correct match for my needs and to do some OC.

CASE: Cooler Master HAF Advanced

PSU:  Corsair Professional Gold AX850 (or TX will be ok?)

CPU: i7 3930K

Diss. : Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 ( found that goes with ripjaws Z)

RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws Z @2133 Mhz (4x8Gb)

M/B: Asus P9X79 Deluxe

VGA: EVGA nVidia GTX 670 2 Gb or Asus GTX 670 2 Gb ( depends on my local pc shop)

C: SSD 256 Gb Samsung 840 Pro

D: 2x1 Tb Western Digital Caviar Black 7200 rpm  Raid 0 (Media and Projects)

E: 2x1 Tb Western Digital Caviar Black 7200 rpm  Raid 0 (Cache and Rendering)

F: 3 Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm (Various)

Any comments would be appreciate.

Excuse me for my english.

• 1. Re: Building new Pc, any other advice?
          JEShort01 Level 4

giacomo1978,

Great build. You will not even believe how much faster things can be versus using your current core 2 duo! You did not mention the version of Premiere / After Effects that you are using, but you will definitely need CS5 or newer to take full advantage of your new system.

Regarding power supply, TX850 would be fine.

Regarding RAM, go with 64GB (8x8GB sticks). You can certainly use slower RAM to stay in budget. More RAM is better by far versus faster RAM. And After Effects really likes lots of RAM.

If you want to save some money, a 128GB OS/programs drive would be fine.

Regards,

Jim

• 2. Re: Building new Pc, any other advice?
            Kouper

Hello Giacomo, I think your computer is almost identical to mine, the only difference is the graphic card and PSU, I've got a GTX680 4GB and a 1000W Cooler Master! But, same case, same Ram, same board, same fan, same ssd, same raid with minimal diffs. This computer is a hell of a monster I just finished assembling it today so I can't say yet about its abilities but it seems to be the "ideal specs" in my opinion.

Regards.

Kouper

• 3. Re: Building new Pc, any other advice?
              John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Windows 7 64bit PRO will do, unless you actually need the "extra" features of Ultimate

• 4. Re: Building new Pc, any other advice?
                giacomo1978 Level 1

Thanks guys.

So Jim you think there is not a great gain overclocking ram, and is better to let them run standard, and take 64Gb with a not so expensive difference?

How much benefits we could aprreciate with an overclocked ram?

Many thanks for your explanations.

Giacomo

• 5. Re: Building new Pc, any other advice?
                  JEShort01 Level 4

For USA pricing (not sure where you live) for G Skill Z series RAM at Newegg:

32GB 2133 MHz $260 - you listed above

64GB 1600 MHz $350 - excellent choice since you will be using After Effects

64GB 2133 MHz $700 - more expense and very little additional speed gain over 1600 MHz

Harm selected the big and fast Z series RAM for his Monster build and he can maybe share some more more light on your question. I suspect that he will say you would be better served by spening the $350 elsewhere for your build (GTX 680 4GB, put towards RAID controller, etc.).

Regards,

Jim

• 6. Re: Building new Pc, any other advice?
                    Harm Millaard Level 7

Jim,

You are completely right. I went overboard on my choice of 2133 sticks, considering the price-tag, but then I went overboard on the whole build.

The performance gain of 2133 versus 1600 can be measured in single digit %. Maybe as low as 2-3%, but my excuse is that I had already decided to go for an excessive raid array and did not need to shave off a few bucks here or there. However, if your budget is not as large as mine was, you will be better off with spending the savings on a better disk setup.

• 7. Re: Building new Pc, any other advice?
                      giacomo1978 Level 1

Thanks Harm,

for sure I will choice the ddr @1600Mhz. For the disk setup, you talk about an additional raid controller, I think. Does the on board raid is really bad? And I really can get more performance using the on board raid, or you think that without a dedicated controller, I trash money buying the disks for the Raid 0?

Ciao,

Giacomo

• 8. Re: Building new Pc, any other advice?
                        Harm Millaard Level 7

Raid0 with the on-board controller works fine.

Raid10, even though I think it a waste of disks, works fine.

Raid5 works slower but still adequate than with a dedicated controller, as long as you have no failed members in the array. If you have to rebuild the array because of a failed disk, you are in for serious delays, because the rebuilding is extremely slow.

• 9. Re: Building new Pc, any other advice?
                          giacomo1978 Level 1

Finally all components arrived

Made some little changes..but now is time to build.

One suggestion for the ports on the controllers (2x6gb +4x3gb+2x6gb)-:

C: SSD 256 Gb Samsung 840 Pro  ( 1-6gb port)

D: 2x1 Tb Western Digital Caviar Black 7200 rpm  Raid 0 (Media and Projects) (2x 3gb port Raid 0)

E: 2x1 Tb Western Digital Caviar Black 7200 rpm  Raid 0 (Cache and Rendering) (2x 6gb ports Raid 0)

F: 3 Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm (Various) (1x3gb port)

G: DVD-RW (1x3gb port)

In this configuration remain 1 SATA6gb free, do you suggest other configuration? Is better to connect both RAID on SATA6 and set the OS to a SATA3?

Thanks

• 10. Re: Building new Pc, any other advice?
                            Harm Millaard Level 7

Even though it will not be noticeable, you could put the F: drive on the last SATA 6G port, for the rest it makes a lot of sense. The SSD for OS should be on the 6G port.

• 11. Re: Building new Pc, any other advice?
                              JEShort01 Level 4

Ditto Harm and also make sure you put the 840 Pro onto an Intel 6GB port, not a Marvell port. See:

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/296511-14-solved-samsung-slow-build

for more details.

Jim

• 12. Re: Building new Pc, any other advice?
                                giacomo1978 Level 1

Hi,

just trying to install OS but found some problems.

If I set the Intel controlle su AHCI mode, no problem to install windows 7. But if I switch to Raid Mode (that i would use) when the installation process prompt me to find the controller driver, I select the F6 drivers that I have on my usb key, the system trying to charge but and with an error ( files not correct, etc..) Tryed different dipe of drivers, the original from cd, the new one from asus website, and also from the Intel site...same problem. Does anybody found this problem installing OS on a P9X9 Asus?

Thanks

• 13. Re: Building new Pc, any other advice?
                                  JEShort01 Level 4

Suggest:

1) Install OS with only SSD and optical drive connected

2) Turn off, connect all additional drives (4 drives to receive should be on Intel 3GB SATA ports)

3) boot, without doing anything special

4) load Intel storage manager and use it to configure the RAID arrays

Good luck!

Jim

• 14. Re: Building new Pc, any other advice?
                                    giacomo1978 Level 1

Hi Jim,

but with the option raid on bios setup?

I alredy tried with ahci and then turn on raid mode, but obviously the system doesn't boot after an installation with ahci mode..

• 15. Re: Building new Pc, any other advice?
                                      Kouper Level 1

On my P9X79

I installed only the SSD ( to avoid errors on choice of the C drive)

I made a raid driver  floppy disk through the intallation cd.

Turned raid on in the bios.

Loaded windows providing the raid driver when prompted (it wouldn't find your hdd otherwise)

Installed windows.

Connected the other hard drives

Pressed Ctrl I and setup the raid.

The key is to turn the raid ON before installing the system. I've never used  a usb to install raid drivers but I don't see why it wouldn't work, as long as you use the "make disk" utility from the CD.

• 16. Re: Building new Pc, any other advice?
                                        JEShort01 Level 4

Giacomo, Kouper,

I'm not saying there are not other ways (I've done it Kouper's way before too), what I am saying is that the steps I suggest work and are WAY easier, and probably less likely to trash your already successful C:\ install.

The whole F6 gig is required to load Windows initially onto a RAID 0 array, but is certainly not a necessary step to add a RAID 0 array to an existing Windows load.

Jim

• 17. Re: Building new Pc, any other advice?
                                          Kouper Level 1

Jim, I 'm not an expert in raid configurations, I just repeat  what is said in the P9X79 manual :

"You must enable the Raid function in the BIOS Setup before creating RAID set (s) using SATA HDDs" .

If you do that of course, you will have to provide the Raid drivers, or windows will not even see your HDD... Passed the annoyance of having to make a floppy, it works just fine.

If your way works for you, great... Never tried it.

F6 is there to install windows in raid 0, you're right. In my case, I didn't  use F6 during the windows install, I've been just prompted to load the drivers when Windows 7 was about to show the available volumes/ Partitions, which is not the same thing.

I think that there is a confusion between "pressing F6 and load the Raid drivers" and calling the raid drivers the F6 Drivers...

Also I believe that Giacomo probably had a problem transfering his drivers to the USB flash drive. Maybe wrong drivers or missing files...and this is why windows failed to install.

• 18. Re: Building new Pc, any other advice?
                                            Kouper Level 1

Jim, I tried your way on another PC and this is much much easier and better, and modern!, Thanks for dusting my skills... Wonder why I'm still using floppies for that !

• 19. Re: Building new Pc, any other advice?
                                              giacomo1978 Level 1

It was hard and strange..

I disconnect all the additional drive and DISABLED the Marvell controller, then when you have to add the driver during installation (the F6 drivers, that I have stored on a USB key), I tried many versions (original make disk, newer from ASUS website, newer from Intel site), and I told for the RSTe driver wich could be the correct version.

So the only one that works was the original that came on the cd but the x86 version, when always tried to force (also booting installation with F8 key to force unsigned driver) the x64 version, the installation prompt me that the driver must be certified to use them, and don't let me load it. Then, on the second step, you coul also add driver. Also here tried the 64 bit version...but didn't work. So I installed with the x86 version and then I update the driver after the installation with the x64 version.

Hope this not influence the performance, and hope could help someone.

In fact I build so many Pc, and also build raid server, but in this time was hard to find the solution, also because, sometimes the error (could not load iastor.sys) appears during the first reboot of installation, and take me so much time for every test.