6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 12, 2013 1:20 PM by John Waller

CS 3 upgrade

Ken Ward

I have Web Premium CS3. I can find no option to upgrade. There only seems to be an option to upgrade from CS5. Is this correct? Adobe is only supporting upgrades from 1 version back?

• 1. Re: CS 3 upgrade
          Ken Ward Level 1

Well, that's a very capitalistic position to take.  I've been using Photoshop since 1993. Guess it's time to find another vendor to give my money to. Maybe one that has more regard for their customers.

• 2. Re: CS 3 upgrade
            John Waller Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Adobe gave CS3 and CS4 users 12 month's notice to upgrade to CS6.

http://scottkelby.com/2012/you-spoke-adobe-listened

Speculation from me:

Truth is Adobe is losing interest in perpetual license sales and wants everyone to join the Creative Cloud and pay monthly fees.

http://www.adobe.com/products/creativecloud.html

• 3. Re: CS 3 upgrade
              Ken Ward Level 1

Well, I didn't know that there was a deadline for upgrading to CS6. I would have thought that Adobe would have emailed all their "registered" CS3 and CS4 customers and warned them of the deadline.  I may have been out of the country for the last two years but I still have an email account and am a registered user.

Actually,  I have not been impressed with Adobes concern for their customers since they bought their way to being the only major player in the desktop publishing market.

You speculate that Adobe wants (is trying to force?) everyone to join the Creative Cloud and pay a monthly fee.  I'm sure they are given the profit potential of that bussiness model.

I cetainly cannot speak for anyone but myself, but I have no intention on "renting" software, particularly not in the current model.

As far as the upgrade, I have no intention in paying the full price for a piece of software that I have upgraded 5 times since version 3.  I think I have paid enough.

I guess it's time to find another solution to my photograhpic editing and web development needs.

Adobe should remember that one of the reasons that In Design became so popular after the farce of Pagemaker was that Quark Express had such disregard for their customers that they jumped at a decent competing solution.

Whatever, I think I'm done with Adobe.

Thanks for the information.

• 4. Re: CS 3 upgrade
                Jeff Schewe Level 5

Ken Ward wrote:

As far as the upgrade, I have no intention in paying the full price for a piece of software that I have upgraded 5 times since version 3.  I think I have paid enough.

Good luck with that effort...seems that you will be trying to reinvent the wheel wheele while the rest of the user base that DID get the memo realized the impications of the 1 versin back requirements and did update. Truth be told, it's your fault, as a user, that you didn't keep in tune with the impact of being a user and how Adobe's policy might change. Sorry, I really can't feel your pain...but good luck trying to find a replacement for Photoshop. Ain't likely to happen (but you can keep trying to fool yourself that something else will do close to the same thing).

• 5. Re: CS 3 upgrade
                  John Waller Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I would have thought that Adobe would have emailed all their "registered" CS3 and CS4 customers and warned them of the deadline.

From other forum posts last year, I understand that they did.

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4836595

If you did not receive one then feel free to contact Adobe Customer Service to find out why.