6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 15, 2013 3:50 PM by areohbee

Confused on setting black point in Camera Raw 7

Lightscribe Level 1

Hi,

I just upgraded to CS6. I was wondering how the new Blacks slider in Camera Raw 7 correlates to the same in the older version. The slider in CS5 went left to right from 0 to 100. The new slider defaults in the center and goes from -100 to +100. I never seemed to have a problem setting the black clipping point in the old version. In the new version I'm not sure if I'm getting it right.  Any advice would be appreciated.

Kindest regards

• 1. Re: Confused on setting black point in Camera Raw 7
          areohbee Level 5

Once you have some contrast added (if it's an underly contrasty shot), or some contrast removed (if it's an overly contrasty shot), then simply move the blacks slider left until you have the desired amount of black clipping.  You can also move the blacks slider right if you need more light in the pic, and PV2012 will keep the blacks fairly-well seated (if its a full dynamic range shot), or it will let the black point slide up more (if original tonal distribution was not occupying whole histogram). But consider, before +blacks, whether +exposure (and maybe +shadows/-highlights) wouldn't do ya better. Note: +blacks will reduce contrast, so sometimes if you opt for +blacks you need +contrast (and/or +clarity) to go with it. Likewise, -blacks increases contrast, so you may need some -contrast to go with it (and you may find you need less clarity if you have blacks plenty-well seated).

Legend:

'+' = positive (right)

'-' = negative (left)

"plenty-well seated" = clipped enough but not too much .

"fairly-well seated" = not unclipped too much .

Clear as mud? ,

Rob

• 2. Re: Confused on setting black point in Camera Raw 7
            Jeff Schewe Level 5

Lightscribe wrote:

I just upgraded to CS6. I was wondering how the new Blacks slider in Camera Raw 7 correlates to the same in the older version.

It doesn't really...

All of the settings in the Basic settings; Exposure, Contrast Highlights, Shadows, Whites and Blacks are completely different in PV 2012 vsPV 2003 or PV 2010. You really need to unlearn what you thought you knew and relearn what PV 2012 offers. All of the Basic panel adjustments are image dependent (including the Blacks slider) so you really should quite trying to correlate the old processing to the new processing.

Really, it would be useful to forget PV 2003/2010 and learn how to use PV 2012.

• 3. Re: Confused on setting black point in Camera Raw 7
              Lightscribe Level 1

Thank you Rob for your response. I'll give this a try

• 4. Re: Confused on setting black point in Camera Raw 7
                Lightscribe Level 1

Thank you for responding Jeff. I assumed there would be a correlation and I understand your advice. I'm a hobbyist and only have had Photoshop since CS4. I spent my meager free time over the last couple of years going through Martin Evening's photoshop book and was just beginning , I believe, to get some proficiency in using Camera Raw. So I guess it's back to the  books!! Oh well, it is a labor of love.  I haven't seen many tutorials on the web, so I'll have to see what is available.Thanks again.

• 5. Re: Confused on setting black point in Camera Raw 7
                  Level 5

Lightscribe wrote:

...it's back to the  books...

Good news for you:

Practically Mandatory Reading [click here] 

AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

...and you can't beat that price of the current offer. 

• 6. Re: Confused on setting black point in Camera Raw 7
                    areohbee Level 5

Consider also: learning from Lr's "auto-toner". It frequently goofs exposure, but there is much that can be learned by how it sets whites, and blacks, contrast, and highlights/shadows.

Instructions:

* Click Auto-tone.

* Adjust exposure if necessary (usually is).

Inspect settings...

Note: auto-toning is based on whole picture, not crop region, so extra bright or dim regions external to crop will adversely affect auto-toning inside the cropped region.

Note2: it doesn't really know how much black clipping you'll want, and so blacks may need further adjustment, but whether it sets it positive or negative and by how much can be very educational.

Note3: if blacks is really your only (or most pressing) issue at the moment, consider shift double-clicking 'Blacks' - that will set it to the auto-toned value, without affecting anything else (same is true of the other basic tone sliders too). - but beware, setting blacks alone may not be all that telling, since a proper value generally depends also on settings for exposure, contrast, shadows, ...

Cheers,

Rob