11 Replies Latest reply on Jan 20, 2013 3:09 PM by Nuge88
      • 1. Re: Question Concerning Requirements
        shooternz Level 6

Marginally ...and you will be dissapointed would be MHO.

Check out the specs and ask again ....in the Hardware Forum

• 3. Re: Question Concerning Requirements
          Stephen_Spider Level 3

My system is editing like a champ with core i52500k and gtx560ti, 16gb ram, and one dedicated 7200 rpm sata drive for media.

The GTX card is great, makes all the difference in the world for RT editing.

I think that your system will likely be fine. You have a 3rd generation 4 core i5, not fastest in Mhz, but should be workable. My i52500k runs at about 30-35% when editing AVCHD, and the GTX card takes care of most any FX that I add whille editing, including scaling, color corrections, chroma keying, and guassian blurs.

The amount of memory that you have installed is very important. Adobe's recomended minimum is not sufficient. Working with HD, you likely want 12gb at least, 16gb better.

• 4. Re: Question Concerning Requirements
            JEShort01 Level 4

MHO - my humble opinion

IMHO - in my humble opinion is a much more commenly used forum abbreviation

• 5. Re: Question Concerning Requirements
              Jim_Simon Level 8

I think it depends on your source media.  Since a lot of stuff these days is AVCHD, or some variant of H.264, you will not have the snappiest editing experience with that processor.  For such material, I'd seriously consider an i7 3770K or an i7 3930K.

• 6. Re: Question Concerning Requirements
                Nuge88 Level 1

I should also note that my computer will also have about 8gb of RAM which is recommended according to the adobe site.

• 7. Re: Question Concerning Requirements
                  RjL190365 Level 4

Sorry, but your planned combination of the i5-3330 and 8GB of RAM just isn't enough for anything above simple 1440x1080 HDV. 1920x1080 AVCHD really needs significantly more RAM and (to a lesser extent) CPU power than that, especially in combination with your planned GTX 660 GPU. In fact, due to the i5's lack of Hyperthreading and the low number of total threads, you might have to upgrade all the way to 32GB of RAM just to even achieve acceptable performance with tough-to-handle AVCHD material (whereas an otherwise comparably equipped PC with an i7 might perform okay with 16GB).

• 8. Re: Question Concerning Requirements
                    Stephen_Spider Level 3

Ram may be the easiest upgrade.

A good question is what type of material do you plan on editing?  With the system I mentioned above, I can edit with up to two streams of AVCHD without issue. I have one weekly project inserting a AVCHD stream scaled into a SD 3X4 sequence, playsback is without hic-ups, even with color correction. You'll see may replies mentioning AVCHD, as it is the most common consumer and low end prosumer codec, it is also likely the most cpu taxing codec you will come across. I can multi-cam up to 4 streams of H.264 on the same system. Cannon XF footage edits easily at all resolutions. HDV and Sony XDcam as well.

I should add that I'm using CS5.5 on this system. I can't say for sure if CS6 would compare on my system.

Also.... how about a Trial and test it out??? You tell us how well it works.

• 9. Re: Question Concerning Requirements
                      Nuge88 Level 1

Thanks for your replies. I answer Stephen_Spider's question, I plan on editing with H.264/MPEG-4 AVC formats from my Panasonic SDR-H85 though I may get a different video camera in the future. After reading many of the comments I'll most likely upgrade to an i7-3770 processor and up to 16GB (2 X 8GB) of RAM.

• 10. Re: Question Concerning Requirements
                        Stephen_Spider Level 3

Whoa.... Standard definition avc. My advice is to shop for a new camera at B&H. That one seems to have all the overhead requirement of a complex codec without the benefit of HD, plus being hamstrung by an 1/8th inch imager(the low-light performance must be poor). A smartphone may do better. Luckily there are a lot of fun little HD solutions out there for under $300 US. The market has changed a lot over the last 2-3 years.

Not trying to bash your equipment or discourage you, but offering advice to seek some balance with your production equipment, shooting and editing.

For camcorders, if you are seeking to do work that has a more professional Look and Sound, I would advise to shop cameras with an 1/8th inch mic jack.  A $20 lapel mic can make the difference between a pro and amateur presentation.

Happy Editing

• 11. Re: Question Concerning Requirements
                          Nuge88 Level 1

Thanks for the advice. I'll take any I can get.