4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 12, 2013 5:55 PM by Noel Carboni

RAW in CS3

onejuniper

I have never had issues processing Nikon's raw file format in CS3 previously, however I recently purchased a newer camera (D3100) and can no longer use this function. I have updated to the latest version of Camera Raw available for CS3 and it did not help. Am I correct in assuming that my camera is too new for this older version of photoshop? Is there a work around to enable me to process my raw files or is it an impossibility without upgrading?

• 1. Re: RAW in CS3
          ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Adobe only adds camera support to the current version of Photoshop when a new camera comes out, so if your camera model is newer than the version of Photoshop you’re using then it won’t be supported. 

Your Adobe options, in increasing order of cost, are:

1)      Use the free DNG Converter from Adobe to convert your new camera NEFs to DNGs which will be supported.  DNGC is here:  http://www.adobe.com/downloads/updates

2)      Get Lightroom and use it for the Camera-Raw plug-in portion of your adjustments then use LR’s Edit in Photoshop (with LR adjustments) to continue with your normal in-Photoshop edits.

3)      Buy the current version of Photoshop, and perhaps a new computer to support it, if your computer is as old as CS3.

• 2. Re: RAW in CS3
            onejuniper Level 1

Thank you very much!

• 3. Re: RAW in CS3
              John Waller Adobe Community Professional & MVP

onejuniper wrote:

Am I correct in assuming that my camera is too new for this older version of photoshop?

Support for the Nikon D3100 first appeared in Camera Raw 6.3

http://helpx.adobe.com/creative-suite/kb/camera-raw-plug-supported-cameras.html

Photoshop CS3 is only compatible with Camera Raw up to version 4.6

http://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/global/camera-raw-compatible-applications.html

Camera Raw 6.3 requires Photoshop CS5+ (CS6 is current)

onejuniper wrote:

Is there a work around to enable me to process my raw files or is it an impossibility without upgrading?

Convert to DNG then edit the DNGs in Photoshop or use Lightroom for Camera Raw.

• 4. Re: RAW in CS3
                Noel Carboni Level 8

John Waller wrote:

Convert to DNG then edit the DNGs in Photoshop or use Lightroom for Camera Raw.

Something that's gone unsaid here is that the raw conversion quality from Photoshop CS6 is far and away better than that of Photoshop CS3.  It really is worth moving up to better conversion software, given that you've moving up to a better camera.  Unfortunately, you've missed out on upgrade pricing from Photoshop CS3 to CS6, but there's always the creative cloud license...

-Noel