3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 13, 2013 10:21 AM by PByrne777

Copy & Paste text title issue

PByrne777

I have 3 seperate text effects lined up in chronological order to display the same text with a different effect (intro, stationary, departure). I created the 1st one and then copied and pasted the other 2 from it, and then modified those text effects individually (or so I thought).

The problem is, that if I modify one of them, the other 2 mimic the changes.

I don't want to have to create a new text effect from scratch and have to keep reinventing the wheel to get around this problem.

Is there a why I can "break the link" so that they are independently editable?

Thank you in advance!

• 1. Re: Copy & Paste text title issue
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

As I point out in  my book, when you copy a title, you create a clone of it -- and any modifications you make to one, you make to every copy.

To re-use the look and style of a title, you should right-click on it in the Project Assets panel and select Duplicate. This creates an independent copy of the title that you can revise and re-use.

• 2. Re: Copy & Paste text title issue
            the_wine_snob Level 9

As Steve points out, what you have are three Instances of the same Title. They are clones, and are linked to each other - change any one, and you change them all. This article goes into more detail: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1131177?tstart=0

Also, one could do what you want, with but only one Title, as Effects, all of the Fixed Effects, like Motion>Scale, Motion>Position, Opacity, etc., can be Keyframed to change over time. Most of the added Effects, can also be Keyframed over time. One can animate almost anything in a Title with Keyframes.

For a great overview, with instructions on using Keyframes, I strongly recommend Steve's Learning Series - Basic Keyframing, available at Muvipix.com. I have never seen a better set of articles on Keyframing in PrE.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Copy & Paste text title issue
              PByrne777 Level 1

Just what I needed! Thank you Steve Grisetti and Bill Hunt!