2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 14, 2013 7:41 AM by Rick Gerard

Help with masking

guerrilla ace

Hi,

I'm working on a shot where I inserted a neon sign overtop of the sign that was at the location. It's a static shot, but for a few seconds, my character walks in front of the sign. So in the shot with my neon sign, the effect stays over top of him, covering him up. I need to have him stay in front of the effect. I know there is a simple way to do this, but I'm quite rusty when it comes to After Effects. It's been a few years since I've used it, and am having trouble finding the best way to do it. Any help would be greatly appreciated!I;ve attached a photo to show you what I'm talking about.

sign.jpg

• 1. Re: Help with masking
          Andrew Yoole MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Duplicate your footage layer.  Position the current time indicator at the first frame where the foreground character crosses the sign.  Trace the foreground charcter with the pen tool, creating a closed mask around the character.  Move to the final frame where the character crosses the sign.  Adjust the mask to suit.  Now move to all the frames inbetween and adjust the mask to suit.

• 2. Re: Help with masking
            Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Your mask does not need to be very accurate except where your actor passes in front of the sign. This kind of roto is usually very quick to do.

Screen Shot 2013-01-13 at 8.44.40 PM.png