5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 14, 2013 1:56 PM by Joel Cherney

Find/Change within page range

Stix Hart Level 5

Either I'm a bit thick for not being able to work out how to do this or I'm the only one that thinks that this is would be a very useful thing to be able to do.

I want to find/change text in multiple instances all at once, but only on a page range, not the whole document. If I can't do that being able to limit it to one page would work. I realise I can move the pages in question to a new document, do it there and then move it back but that seems a rather 1990's solution!

• 1. Re: Find/Change within page range
          Jump_Over Level 5

Hi,

Using selection you could hit your target more or less.

To be accurate, you could use/create a script which would ask for a range to search.

rgds

• 2. Re: Find/Change within page range
            Laubender Adobe Community Professional & MVP

And another thing with a selection:
            it would be nice if one could search not only selected text, but all selected objects.

A script could do all that.

Uwe

• 3. Re: Find/Change within page range
              [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

Laubender wrote:

And another thing with a selection:
              it would be nice if one could search not only selected text, but all selected objects.

A problem here would be that you cannot select objects across multiple spreads ...

Stix, is the text in your "page range" part of a continously threaded story, or is it in separated, unconnected text frames?

• 4. Re: Find/Change within page range
                Stix Hart Level 5

[Jongware] wrote:

Stix, is the text in your "page range" part of a continously threaded story, or is it in separated, unconnected text frames?

Separate, unconnected text frames.

• 5. Re: Find/Change within page range
                  Joel Cherney Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If there are no threaded text frames anywhere in the document, here's a trick I've used when I've been in your shoes in the past:

1. Open document. Use TextStitch to stitch all frames in doc.
                  2. Go to the first page in your range. Find the first frame (the top-leftmost frame) and start selecting text. Go to the last page in your range. I use control + shift + down-arrow to select whole paragraphs. Hold 'em down until...
                  3. ... you have selected all of the text you need for your find/change query. Perform your query with "Selection" scope.
                  4. Perform any post-find/change cleanup necessary.
                  5. When your query is done, use TextStitch to unstitch all frames in your doc. (Which will break all threads, including ones that were made by hand before step 1, hence my caveat "If there are no threaded text frames anywhere in the document.")