8 Replies Latest reply on Jan 14, 2013 9:06 PM by Stephen_Spider

Upscaling SD to HD and Ultra HD (4K)

sampsoninc916

CES 2013 had Samsung, Sony, and LG unveiling Ultra HD (4K) TVs. Where does that leave 480p? Dead and forgotten? What if my kids watch something I watched when I was a kid, and they complain that the image is not sharp enough because it is 480p. I can't leave shows like Shining Time Station, The Muppet Show, Fraggle Rock, Pee Wee's Playhouse, or Puzzle Place Kids alone and preserved only on DVD quality copies. New generations should experience some of the shows I liked when I was a kid, and to do that, I need to take the highest quality 480p copy that I can find, run them through Adobe Premiere Pro or After Effects, and use built in filters like Sharpen or Unsharp Mask to enhance the footage to HD or Ultra HD (4K) after I got the footage scaled to that resolution. I know I won't be gaining any quality when I upscale and enhance the footage to "look" HD or Ultra HD (4K), but at least I'll be retaining some of the original information. In honor of Fraggle Rock's 30th anniversary this year, I would lke to convert every single episode to HD for today's viewing generation, and soon as 4K becomes mainstream, convert them to Ultra HD (4K). I don't want to convert them to 3D, because that would be too complicated and I don't highly support 3D at the moment.

• 1. Re: Upscaling SD to HD and Ultra HD (4K)
          shooternz Level 6

Not worth the effort and the results will suck.

Give your kids the same experience you had by showing them what you saw...how you saw it.

Ponder on this:

Digital_video_resolutions_(VCD_to_4K)_svg.png

• 2. Re: Upscaling SD to HD and Ultra HD (4K)
            sampsoninc916 Level 1

But it is worth it because modern day family comedies often portray kids as spoiled, plus look at the work that I did on converting and restoring Winnie the Pooh and Christmas Too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zYk5fVH9sY

You're gonna like it, I guarantee it. It is worth it because Adam Sandler's kids in Grown Ups don't know what a cathode ray tube TV is when they see one and they call it "stone age ****". I need to make the original Fraggle Rock look good for today's standards.

• 3. Re: Upscaling SD to HD and Ultra HD (4K)
              Stephen_Spider Level 3

I don't think that you can upscale it with better results than a modern DVD player.

Some players upscale better than others, some software upscales better than others. However you are not likely to beat the results of hardware upscaling to any significant degree.

The Poo clip you uploaded seems like decent encoding, but I don't see a demonstrable difference between the 480 and 1080.

Best of luck.

• 4. Re: Upscaling SD to HD and Ultra HD (4K)
                shooternz Level 6

Sorry man.

I dont think you achieved the goal of "look good for today's standards."

Maybe the opposite even.

That Winnie the Pooh clip example  is a big blurry pixel  mess and I cant imagine how bad that would be at 4K.

Do  try it and show us though.

Goodluck.

BTW - did the kids dig it?

• 5. Re: Upscaling SD to HD and Ultra HD (4K)
                  sampsoninc916 Level 1

The reason is that I don't have access to the original copies or truly high quality masters, and this was done primarily as an amateur effort to celebrate the Christmas season, which I uploaded it at that time. I'm only 21 years old, and I don't have any kids, yet if I did, I want them to be impressed at some of the things that occupied me when I was their age. Winnie the Pooh and Christmas Too has never been released on DVD, and I really wonder if it ever will be released. That's mainly one of the reasons why it was so low of a quality, because it came from a VHS copy Recorded off of TV in 1993. I may do better with my old home video tapes from me growing up, but not with material like Winnie the Pooh and Christmas Too. BTW, another reason I did this is to make it look good on an HD LED screen, since CRT TVs are now obsolete.

You're all acting like you want shows like Fraggle Rock, The Muppet Show, Shining Time Station, classic episodes of Sesame Street, Puzzle Place Kids, and other kids shows that were shot on tape to be forgotten just like the silent films from a century before! Where's your respect for the older stuff, the ones that inspire us to create new stuff like it? Do you not care for film or television preservation, or preserving our cultural heritage shot on video or film?

Message was edited by: sampsoninc916

• 6. Re: Upscaling SD to HD and Ultra HD (4K)
                    shooternz Level 6

Do you not care for film or television preservation, or preserving our cultural heritage shot on video or film?

Of course I care about archiving and legacies.  The debate is about the technicals, limitations and results.

BTW : what you are doing is probably illegal as well.

• 7. Re: Upscaling SD to HD and Ultra HD (4K)
                      Jim_Simon Level 8

I need to take the highest quality 480p copy that I can find...to enhance the footage to HD or Ultra HD (4K)

There is another, and much better way.

Wait for those titles to come out on Blu-ray.  (Trust me, your kids optometrist will thank you.)

• 8. Re: Upscaling SD to HD and Ultra HD (4K)
                        Stephen_Spider Level 3

Dude......stahp.

No one has said anything about your source material or motivations for your project. We just supplied some technical information based on the problem you asked about.  Whatever hoops that you jump through, you are not likely to beat the results of hardware upscaling to any significant degree.

There are software\plugins that you can buy.... google away.

If you have to use a VHS source, analog processing and digital capture method will have the biggest impact on your quality. Your process for getting material off of DVDs would be crucial to final product quality as well. Copy protection could throw a wrench into those works.

If simple upscaling through Premiere's or After Effects' motion settings isn't giving you the results that you want, you could export an image sequence from Premiere or After Effects then use photoshop to batch process the stills, changing resolution and adding whatever filters that you feel enhances the look, then import the the resulting stills back into Premiere as a HD image sequence. Paste the audio from the original clip to the new HD sequence, and there you are.

Have fun.