2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 14, 2013 3:37 PM by JM Wiese

How can I monitor 3+ channels of audio in Premiere Pro CS6 with headphones?

JM Wiese Level 1

How do I monitor all channels of audio simultaneously in a multichannel sequence? I've mapped audio to 3 channels and am monitoring with headphones. I seem limited to only hearing two channels at a time.

Is it not possible due to a limitation of my headphones, my hardware, or simply that Premier can only monitor 2 channels at a time in a 2 speaker out configuration?

Also, how to I monitor audio so it's panned center. Currently when I map Track 1 to Channel 1 and Track 2 to Channel 2, I get each channel in a separate ear. Is there a way to hear them panned center?

Please let me know when you have time. Thanks ahed of time for your help.

MacBook Pro 2.66 GHz i7

8Gb RAM

OSX 10.8.2

Premiere Pro CS6 version 6.0.2

• 1. Re: How can I monitor 3+ channels of audio in Premiere Pro CS6 with headphones?
          Jim_Simon Level 8

Headphones can obviously only pass through two channels - left and right.

However, this has nothing to do with how many channels you can monitor at a time.  You can hear as many as there are, so long as they go to either the left or right master channel.

There are a few ways of centering audio.  I prefer using the Fill effects.  Just note that the effect should be named Fill With, as Fill Left will duplicate the left channel on the right, and vice versa.

• 2. Re: How can I monitor 3+ channels of audio in Premiere Pro CS6 with headphones?
            JM Wiese Level 1

Hi Jim, thanks for the insanely quick response. I'll try these out and see how it works.

Just to be clear, you're saying I can hear all of channels at once if:

I just map them properly to channel 1 and 2 while I'm editing, either panning or assigning track channels (such as L to Chan 1 and R to Chan 2) as needed. Then when I want to export to separate channels (say for a split track of dialogue, music, and/or sfx) then I'd map those tracks to the proper channels prior to the export?

I was messing up trying to do the final splittrack mapping at the start of editing, rather than changing the mapping at the end to get the splittrack export.

Thanks for helping me think this through. You just saved me a lot of time off each edit, and lessening version control issues. Double joy.