6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 3, 2007 2:34 PM by Captiv8r

Jump to Slide Button

T&DMan

The button I made to have the learner "jump to"another slide is not working. The page has another button "next" on it that works. The "jump" to button starts the same page over. I have taken the "next" button off the page and it makes no difference. I am thinking it may have something to do with the actvie/inactive staus of the buttons, but do not know how to trouble shoot the issue.

Paul
        • 1. Re: Jump to Slide Button
          Captiv8r Adobe Community Professional & MVP
          Hi Paul

Take a look at this brief tutorial I designed to illustrate the confusing aspect of "Active vs Inactive" with regards to button objects.

Indeed there could be a few different reasons the button isn't working. But until we ensure you understand the active/inactive issue, I'll hold off on other explanations. But I will ask, do you have any question slides in the project?

Cheers... Rick
          • 2. Re: Jump to Slide Button
            Oops... might help to have a link, no?

Click here to view the demonstration

Sorry about that... Rick
            • 3. Re: Jump to Slide Button
              T&DMan Level 1
              Rick,
              I viewed the demo. Great stuff. I now get the inactive/active deal. Let me see if I have this correct. The amount of active time is equal to the length of time set for "pause" setting. I noticed that the button is dispalyed for 10 sec. with a pause at 3.0 sec. The timeline shows 7 sec inactive. So if the button is clicked after it pauses the action should take place? It does if I use "go to next slide". But does not if I set it to "Jump to". BTW I am using Captivate 2
              • 4. Re: Jump to Slide Button
                Hi again

Okay, part of the mystery is solved. Here's my suspicion. If you have a question slide in between where the button is and where you are trying to link to, a setting in your Quiz Manager could be preventing the jump from occurring.

Another way this could be happening is if you are previewing a certain way. If you are choosing "Preview next X number of slides" and the button links to a slide beyond what you have set for X (yes, you can adjust this in Captivate) then the slide isn't there and cannot be jumped to.

Which is your case? Rick
                • 5. Re: Jump to Slide Button
                  T&DMan Level 1
                  Rick,

I have no questions etc.
                  Your second observation was correct. My range of preview was not long enought to include the slide I wanted to jump to.
                  What a Homer Simpson moment! DUH!

I do have one other question/observation. If I want to have a narration with music under I will need to record that outside of CAptivate and then import. Is this correct?

Thanks for the help.
                  Thanks very much for your help.
                  • 6. Re: Jump to Slide Button
                    Hi again

There are many ways you could accomplish this. If you are talking about a background track, you would click Audio > Background Audio... and assign the track there. This would make the audio play for all slides. Normally it would also loop as well as reduce the volume on other slides with audio at the slide level. Then you could record your narration on the slide independently from the background audio track. Now if you only want the background audio on a single slide that occurs with narration, you could record your narration at the slide level and insert a background track on a different object. Perhaps an invisible text caption. Or vice-versa. Basically your imagination is the limit.

Cheers... Rick