16 Replies Latest reply on Jan 15, 2013 9:15 PM by Noel Carboni

Smart Object management

davenadeau Level 1

I've tried searching for an answer to this with no luck.

Is there a way to get Smart Objects to work on a different disc besides your Startup on a Mac? I'd like to set up a stand-alone SSD to handle all Smart Object operations. Currently, I'm getting the "Start-up disc is almost full" warning a little too often. It even crashed PS one time. I know you can change the Scratch Disc very easily, but I don't see any way to change how Smart Objects are handled.

Thanks in advance.

Dave...

Photoshop CS6 13.1, Mac OSX 10.7.5

• 1. Re: Smart Object management
          Mathias17 Level 3

What's that now; smart objects are handled differently in PS per scretch disk settings? Really?

(not the most helpful response, sorry man, heh)

• 2. Re: Smart Object management
            davenadeau Level 1

No. The Scratch Disc setting has nothing to do with where your Smart Object files are cached when you open a file with Smart Objects. They go to the Startup Disc. I know there's a temp folder somewhere on the Startup that holds them. I want that to happen on a stand-alone disc to avoid the "Styartup Disc almost full" warning.

• 3. Re: Smart Object management
              Mathias17 Level 3

Whatever happened to good ol' RAM?

• 4. Re: Smart Object management
                Conrad C Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You're on the right track, you already know what to do. If you're getting a "scratch disk full" error, you need to assign another scratch disk. Or, how much RAM do you have? Because the better, faster way to fix "scratch disk full" errors to install more RAM into your computer, as long as you haven't already maxed it out.

You're getting the error because doing something through a Smart Object always takes more RAM and takes more time/CPU than doing the same thing without a Smart Object. I think Smart Objects are brilliant and I use them all the time, but Smart Objects come at a cost in terms of computer resources. Watching a RAM/CPU/scratch disk space readout makes it clear that if you want to use Smart Objects on large images (lots of megapixels, lots of layers/channels, lots of bit depth), you'd better have a system that can handle them.

In the end, the reason you don't get to assign a Smart Object to another disk is because that's already covered by changing the Scratch Disk setting. You need more scratch disks when there isn't enough RAM, and Smart Objects are one of those things that are most likely to use up all your RAM.

• 5. Re: Smart Object management
                  Mathias17 Level 3

Thanks for the insight, Conrad!

Yeah, davenadeau, I was working on a 1.3GB PSD last night - a 300DPI 28in x 36in poster design using so many large-sized smart objects within smart objects, your face would probably explode. And I never got the message you're getting. Though I'm on a PC with terabyte drives and 32GB of RAM.

Sounds like time for an upgrade.

• 6. Re: Smart Object management
                    Conrad C Adobe Community Professional & MVP

davenadeau wrote:

No. The Scratch Disc setting has nothing to do with where your Smart Object files are cached when you open a file with Smart Objects. They go to the Startup Disc. I know there's a temp folder somewhere on the Startup that holds them. I want that to happen on a stand-alone disc to avoid the "Styartup Disc almost full" warning.

Ah, I don't think my answer addressed this, and I think I mis-read your original error as a "scratch disk full" error instead of "startup disk full" as you said. Sorry. I don't know how to move that file. I suppose the way to solve this problem is to have an ample amount of space on the startup disk.

Mathias17, sounds like you have a great system , you definitely have the RAM!

• 7. Re: Smart Object management
                      davenadeau Level 1

I'm not getting a Scratch disc warning, I'm getting a Startup disc warning.

My Scratch is pretty big, 2TB. It needs to be. I frequently work on images in the 4-8GB range.

RAM sounds like the best option (funny how that's the cure for most ailments here). Currently at 16GB. That is woefully short for the image sizes I work, understood. Time to open the wallet again.

What's confusing is that my Start-up disc isn't being used at all in my Scratch settings. I have a stand-alone Scratch drive and a drive for my files as secondary scratch. The Startup Drive (named Boot) isn't designated at all in the scratch settings. It's strange that the SO's don't seem to be utilizing the Scratch disc at all. If they were, it seems that the Scratch disc would be picking up the slack and not throeing the Startup disc warning.

I need to re-work how I manage files with SO's as well.

• 8. Re: Smart Object management
                        conroy Level 5

Deleted info because it doesn't provide a permanent solution.

• 9. Re: Smart Object management
                          Level 7

The startup disk is used by the OS virtual memory paging file, and other OS buffers, plus is the most likely location for temporary files (unless you've gone and changed a lot of paths).

So the startup disk might be filling up with things other than Photoshop scratch.

• 10. Re: Smart Object management
                            Mathias17 Level 3

Chris, is this operating system specific, or are both Macs and PC's equally subject to this issue?

• 11. Re: Smart Object management
                              Level 7

That applies equally to Mac and Windows (and on MacOS it's even harder to change the paging file location away from the boot disk).

Generally you need space around 4 times your installed RAM on the boot disk to allow for paging files.  Then more space for temporary files (/tmp /CleanupAtStartup and TEMP).

• 12. Re: Smart Object management
                                Earth Oliver Level 3

what still hasn't been answered and is the original question:

is there a way to change the location where smart objects are chaching?

i have a pretty lean startup, since it's a smaller ssd, and Ps is insisting that SO's are located there.

why is it not possible to change the location of the SO cache?

• 13. Re: Smart Object management
                                  Level 7

Any temporary SO files are saved in the OS specified temporary directory.

You can only change the OS temporary directory location through the OS (though many apps will likely have problems if you do).

• 14. Re: Smart Object management
                                    davenadeau Level 1

Thanks, Chris.

So, there really isn't a way to change where the Smart Object work happens, disc-wise? Seems like that would be something that would be beneficial if it was available to hacks like me who keep a bunch of SO's in their files.

I did end up relocating my iTunes Library to an external drive and freed up a bunch of space.

More RAM being ordered this week, BTW.

• 15. Re: Smart Object management
                                      Mathias17 Level 3

[way offtopic]

You know what I think Adobe should do? Just had a brilliant, albeit unoriginal, business idea - sell computers. No, not manufacture hardware, just build and sell ready-to-deploy systems.

Think of Alienware - they peddle pimped out gamer machines. Well, we're not gamer dorks planted in our parents' basements shouting on headsets, we're pros that churn out the stuff and we want machines that annoy us as little as possible - in other words, scream like a banshee. Also, something I think I can say about the demographic, is that if it's a serious pro in question, their system is used primarily for Adobe software so why not create machines optimized for such. No, don't lock down the hardware like Dell did with their proprietary RAM. Use publicly available components.

If there was a computer perfectly calibrated for what I do, using the group of software I use the vast majority of the time, I'd want it. I'm not a DIY kind of guy. I don't like screwing with hardware upgrades, hardware problems, etc. It's a waste of my time. A smooth, ready-made solution available would be nice.

Could be a new branch of Adobe. Creating workstations with hardware specially developed maybe. And Adobe software engineers could develop the creative suite optimized but not requiring said hardware.

I know that with the new mercury engine, Adobe has put their stamp of approval on certain video cards. Why not go further - endorse a full set of hardware and use it for mega nuclear Adobe machines.

Hurry before these guys snap up the whole market!

[/way offtopic]

• 16. Re: Smart Object management
                                        Noel Carboni Level 8

I have often thought about configuring and selling workstations specifically crafted to run Adobe software well.

Thing is these things wouldn't be cheap, and there's not that much to differentiate them from true high end workstations - e.g. the kind Dell or HP make.  It would be more like a very specific configuration of same.

Regarding the original listed problem...  Why not just get a huge replacement system disk?

-Noel