Wonder if any kind and expert people could help here?
System: Lenovo laptop, Win XP SP3 32bit, all updates installed. Main browser Firefox with add-ons including Adblock and Ghostery. Broadband via TalkTalk (after they bought up the original ISP I signed up for!) via a BT Business Hub router, usually connecting wirelessly. Comodo firewall installed, no other 'security' stuff running..
Problems: started around 7/8/9ish Jan 2013 after working fine for ages. Not sure what triggered it - there were Windows, Acrobat and possibly a few other automatic updates going in around then, maybe also FireFox going to 18.
Problem is with on demand video:
BBC iPlayer - any show - spins for a bit then comes up "this content doesn't seem to be working"
Error code - EMP v.3.0.0.r617463_618125_4 Playlist URL : http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/playlist/p012msym/ Error code :
CDNRedundancyManagerError  : null
BBC news website clips - any - spins for a bit then comes up "this content doesn't seem to be working"
Error code - same as iPlayer
BBC radio player - says 'loading' for a bit then does nothing.
ITVplayer - plays an ad then 'resume' button comes up but it won't play, 'resume' just reappears.
Youtube - videos play but takes several seconds to start buffering, much slower than usual
BUT video playing via e.g. Guardian website seems to work fine.
I've tried googling CDNRedundancyManagerError and searching for any related problems, and then tried everything suggested, e.g. at
but nobody seems to have an answer and all made no difference:
- Broadband speed tests - these show around 2Mb/s as usual. Iplayer diagnostic showed the 'streaming 1' test at zero one time, but then it was around 2Mb/s like the others on subsequent tests.
- Cleared Firefox browser cache and history
- Restarted FF in safe mode
- checked 'allow third party storage' is on in Flash settings. Also tried it with and without hardware acceleration (right click in Flash player and also in Firefox options).
- /etc/hosts file is original Windows one with no changes.
- uninstalled Flash and reinstalled current Flash 11.5 (freshly downloaded)
- Full clean uninstalled Flash as per Adobe instructions and reinstalled 11.5
- Clean uninstalled and tried Flash Beta 11.6
- Clean uninstalled then tried Flash 10.3
- Then put 11.5 back on
- Turned off firewall
- In firewall, whitelisted Firefox and plugin container
- Installed Chrome and tried that - exactly the same behaviour as Firefox.
- Connected laptop to router via ethernet cable not Wifi
- Tried another XP computer, connecting by wifi to the same router - same problem. Rarely use this machine so not sure how long it had the issue.
- Tried a Windows 7 laptop connecting by wifi to the same router - works properly no problems!
- On original laptop tried a system restore to a week ago when known working - system restore failed, 'no changes made to original system'.
So, I'm a bit flummoxed.
- Can't be the router as the Win7 laptop works OK.
- Can't be the ISP throttling streaming video as the Win7 laptop works OK.
- Can't be the Wifi on the XP machines as connecting by ethernet makes no difference.
- Unlikely(?) to be Flash as the Chrome version has same problems as Firefox, and also installing various versions made no difference.
- Not the firewall as turning it off makes no difference.
- Not the Firefox add-ons as (a) turning them off in safe mode makes no difference and (b) Chrome also affected
So what can it be? Any ideas anyone?
Thanks in advance for any help. Will respond quickly with further info or results of further tests. Cheers Pete