5 Replies Latest reply: Jan 17, 2013 5:49 PM by chris.campbell Branched from an earlier discussion. RSS

Flash player keeps asking to update

jambalayajones

I am having the exact same problem, the exact same message at the same frequency.  I have searched for a solution but it seems as if there are many people who have this same issue and have posted in many places, but as of yet it seems unresolved.

I have already deleted Flash, and am still constantly bugged by this.

• 1. Re: Flash player keeps asking to update
          chris.campbell Employee Hosts

I've branched this to a new topic as the other one was a year old and might have been specific to 10.3.

Is this something you can reproduce?  We've had reports about this over the last couple of months but it appeared it might have been specific to certain web pages/frames that were asking for an incorrect version of Flash Player.  If you can easily reproduce this, I'd be happy to take a look.  Please let me know and we can schedule something.

Thanks,

Chris

• 2. Re: Flash player keeps asking to update
            canalrun Community Member

I am the guy with the original problem who posted almost a year ago. Yes, it is still problem.

I have two flashing shield icons on my taskbar right now – "Adobe Fash Player is requesting your permission…".If I right-click / close window they are back within minutes. I get pop-up dialogs that dim the screen and force me to respond asking if I want to install the latest Flash Player.

I have done everything under the Sun to tell Adobe to stop asking me to upgrade.

I am sure most people just upgrade to the latest version, but since upgrading to the latest breaks my Dragon Naturally Speaking, I can't do that. I suffer with these obnoxious flashing shields and intrusive dialogues requesting that I upgrade.

Barry.

• 3. Re: Flash player keeps asking to update

Hi Barry,

Could you try extracting and placing the mms.cfg file that I've attached to this post into the following folder, then restart your browser (or system)? 

Windows 32bit: C:\windows\system32\macromed\flash

Windows 64bit: C:\windows\syswow64\macromed\flash

If an mms.cfg file already exists, please modify it to include the following two lines:

AutoUpdateDisable=1

SilentAutoUpdateEnable=0

This should disable Flash from checking for new versions.

• 4. Re: Flash player keeps asking to update
                canalrun Community Member

Gave it a try. I installed the mms.cfg file in my C:\windows\syswow64\macromed\flash directory. I even rebooted. My computer is Windows 64bit.

Makes no difference. I am sitting here staring at two flashing shield icons on my Taskbar – "Adobe Flash Player is requesting…". I just had to click "No" to close a pop-up that disables everything else on my screen asking "Do you want the following program to make changes to this computer?" – Adobe Flash Player.

I have done this all before. Take a look at my previous two or three threads dealing with this problem.

• 5. Re: Flash player keeps asking to update

Something must be causing this to occur.  Can you reproduce this on command?  If so, would you be willing to do a quick desktop sharing session with me so I can see what's going on?  If so, shoot an email to ccampbel@adobe.com and we can schedule something.