7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 15, 2013 5:50 PM by fnlow

Advice on new build for beginner

fnlow

Hello everyone!

I'm not really sure how to start this discussion, perhaps I should first introduce myself- my name is Damon and I currently reside in Australia. I have recently started filming using the gopro 3 cameras to record my personal recreational pursuits (moto-x and mountain biking), however, it has quickly become apparent that my current computer hardware is not up to the task of editing this footage (understandable given the computer is an old socket 939 amd).

This lead me to begin research for a new system. I quickly found the videoguys website and then after a few wrong turns I landed here. I have read a lot of information posted here by Harm, Eric and Bill- all of which is excellent and very helpful, so thank you and please forgive me if I haven't been able to grasp and understand all of the knowledge you have shared.

Based on my research and budget of around $2500au I am proposing to piece together the following system:

Antec P280 Black Super Mid Tower with Window                        Antec P280 Black Super Mid Tower with Window                        In stock $145.00      down up 
      Seasonic X-850 80Plus Gold 850W                        Seasonic X-850 80Plus Gold 850W                        In stock $269.00      down up 
      EVGA GeForce GTX 670 2GB                        EVGA GeForce GTX 670 2GB                        In stock $439.00      down up 
      Intel 335 Series 240GB SSD - Retail Version                        Intel 335 Series 240GB SSD - Retail Version                        Ships in 24hrs $215.00      down up 
      Dell S2340L 23in IPS LED Monitor                        Dell S2340L 23in IPS LED Monitor                        In stock $219.00      down up 
      Pioneer BDR-207DBK Blu-Ray Disc Writer OEM                        Pioneer BDR-207DBK Blu-Ray Disc Writer OEM                        In stock $95.00      down up 
      Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 LGA2011 CPU Cooler                        Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 LGA2011 CPU Cooler                        In stock $89.00      down up 
      Intel Core i7 3930K                        Intel Core i7 3930K                        In stock $589.00      down up 
      ASUS P9X79 Pro Motherboard                        ASUS P9X79 Pro Motherboard                        In stock $319.00      down up 
      G.Skill Ripjaws Z F3-12800CL9Q2-32GBZL 32GB (8x4GB) DDR3                        G.Skill Ripjaws Z F3-12800CL9Q2-32GBZL 32GB (8x4GB) DDR3                        Ships in 24hrs $185.00      down up

To this I still intend to add the following:

operating system: Windows 8 Pro

HDD(s): I am not sure what to select here and what configuration to use? Redundancy is not important to me given I am an amateur and tend to keep footage on sd cards and external hard drives for back ups. Stability and performance are my key requirements.

Internal card reader: I would appreciate any thoughts or suggestions.

Keyboard and mouse: I will probably select something based on personal preference.

My other real concern is which RAM to use with the 3930k and P9X79 Pro.

I have read a discussion here where Eric strongly recommends low voltage samsung RAM- the problem is sourcing that locally seems to be impossible. G-Skill seems to be readily available here and used in Harm's monster- albeit with some teething issues initially as I understand. What other options are recommended by those of you who have 'been there and done that' on the socket 2011 platform?

In regards to the Graphics card I selected the GTX670 as it is my understanding the bandwidth is of most importance, the 670 seems to have significantly more bandwidth than the 660ti card albeit at a cost increase of $100-$150. I think the GTX680 had more again but that option is cost prohibitive at this point in time. Any thoughts? Could I save some money and go with the 660ti or would you stick with the GTX670?

With the case, I know many of you recommend a full size case, however, space restrictions at home are of some concern, I was hoping the noctua could fit in the above case.

I will stop there, hopefully I have provided enough information for your recommendations and advice, please let me know if there is anything more you require.

Regards,

Damon

• 1. Re: Advice on new build for beginner
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>HDD(s): I am not sure what to select here and what configuration to use?

I don't use SSD for Windows + Programs... but this is what I use for AVCHD editing

My 3 hard drives for video editing are configured as...
          1 - 320Gig Boot for Win7 64bit Pro and ALL program installs (2)
          2 - 320Gig data for Win7 paging swap file and video project files
          When I create a project on #2 drive, the various work files follow,
          so my boot drive is not used for the media cache folders and files
          3 - 1Terabyte data for all video files... input source & output export files (1)
          (1) for faster input/output if you have 4 drives
          - use drive 3 for all source files
          - use drive 4 for all output files
          (2) only 70Gig used, for Win7 & CS5 MC & MS Office & other smaller programs

• 2. Re: Advice on new build for beginner
            murph2068

What Programs do you use for editing?

• 3. Re: Advice on new build for beginner
              fnlow Level 1

Good question murph.

Undecided as yet, all my previous stuff was done 10 years ago on macs initially with Final Cut express and later Final Cut pro (can't recall what version).

I was contemplating Premiere Pro CS6 or Sony Vegas (are they upto number 12 now?!). But was wondering if Premiere Elements would be a wise stepping stone?

• 4. Re: Advice on new build for beginner
                murph2068 Level 1

I would reccomend  you start with Premiere Pro 6 student version if you are ging to college..............alot cheaper

• 5. Re: Advice on new build for beginner
                  fnlow Level 1

Thanks John T Smith,

I just found Harm's Generic guide to setting up disks here: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/662972.

It seems to echo what you have said if I have interpreted correctly.

I think to keep close to my budget a three drive setup would be the first step and possibly add a fourth and fifth drive later.

I have no experience with any form of RAID setup, but I was curious as to whether a RAID0 configuration would offer any significant benefits when used as either the input or output destination or even the page file location? can this be done without an additional hardware controller?

• 6. Re: Advice on new build for beginner
                    murph2068 Level 1

I would reccomend Premiere Pro 6 student version if you are going to college .........

• 7. Re: Advice on new build for beginner
                      fnlow Level 1

murph afraid my college days are well behind me. No kids as yet so no chance of licensing in their name!

I do realise the cost of software can be prohibitive- especially as a hobbyist/ or enthusiast. Did I read adobe offer a 30 day trial - I would certainly take advantage of that if so before committing to full purchase.