5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 16, 2013 11:57 AM by whsprague

Advantage/purpose of the Organizer

tonytokyotani

As I continue to use and read up on PE 11 (I'm using the Mac version), I am starting to wonder what the advantage/purpose of using the Organizer is? It seems you can import all the media for a project right into PE 11 and not really need to go to the Organizer. Moreover, I find it a bit distracting and cumbersome to flip between the two programs.

One point....I thought it would be a good idea to import all my photos from iPhoto (File > Import Videos and Photos > From iPhoto) into the Organizer so that I wouldn't have to open iPhoto (thus another program I would have open using resources) and import photos I want to use in a project. Well, two things happen that I wasn't thrilled about:

1) It actually copies over all the photos, and now I have two sets of all Photos eating up space on my hard drive (I would have preferred it to just point to the photos)

2) The folders it created uses the criptic folder names in the iPhoto Library, not the nice Album, Event, and Folders I created in iPhoto--so finding a photo that I want will be a pain

Being that I am not really into using Photoshop Elements (yet), I will continue to stick with iPhoto itself.

Thus, I am wondering if I can just live with opening PE 11 without the Organizer and occasionally opening up iPhoto to bring in photos into my projects.

So, in short, is there any advantage/purpose to using the Organizer, especially if I don't plan on using Photoshop Elements?

Thanks,

Tony

• 1. Re: Advantage/purpose of the Organizer
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

The Organizer is a media file management tool. It's useful for organizing and searching your photo and video files. As Adobe Bridge in the Creattive Suite of professional software, some people -- especially those with a large library of media (particularly photo) files -- love it. Others rarely use it at all.

• 2. Re: Advantage/purpose of the Organizer
            whsprague Level 4

tonytokyotani wrote:

Thus, I am wondering if I can just live with opening PE 11 without the Organizer and occasionally opening up iPhoto to bring in photos into my projects.

Tony

Have you found the buttons where you can turn it off?  Adobe provide the option to fix it so you can open PrE11 directly without ever seeing the Organizer.

Bill

• 3. Re: Advantage/purpose of the Organizer
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Tony,

Like you, I do not really use Organizer, but have other "cataloging" utilities, my main on being Adobe Bridge (sort of like Organizer, on steroids). It is the "Organizer" with Premiere Pro, Photoshoop, InDesign and Illustrator. I also use a 3rd party utility, ThumbsPlus.

Now, while Bridge interfaces with those programs listed, it is like a 3rd party program, regarding Premiere Elements, in that it does not directly interface with PrE. Same for ThumbsPlus. Also, Organizer has some powers, that Bridge lacks.

It just depends on what one wishes to do, and how they like to do it. I have only used Organizer to try and answer questions in this forum, and otherwise, use other programs personally.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Advantage/purpose of the Organizer
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

If you click on the gear icon in the upper right of the Welcome Screen that opens when you launch Premiere Elements, you can set the program to launch directly into Premiere Elements without a stop at this screen.

• 5. Re: Advantage/purpose of the Organizer
                  whsprague Level 4

Bill Hunt wrote:

Like you, I do not really use Organizer, but have other "cataloging" utilities, my main on being Adobe Bridge (sort of like Organizer, on steroids). It is the "Organizer" with Premiere Pro, Photoshoop, InDesign and Illustrator. I also use a 3rd party utility, ThumbsPlus..........\

Hunt

I am experimenting with using Lightroom 4 to keep track of all my photo and video stuff.

Bill