10 Replies Latest reply on Jan 19, 2013 8:08 AM by Jeff Bellune

How should I assign my drives?

mellofello13

Hello all.  I just finished (well, almost finished) my first build for CS6.  Got a lot of help from searching these forums and I just wanted to send out my appreciation for all the great information here.  This is actually my first venture into using Premiere Pro, so I have yet to have first hand knowledge of the workflow.  Nonetheless, I would like to get the ideal setup before I get started. I have an ASUS P9x79 pro motherboard with 4 drives as follows:

Drive 1: 256GB Samsung 840 pro connected to 6GB/s SATA slot

Drive 2: 256GB Plextor m5pro connected to 6GB/s SATA slot

Drive 3: 2x Western Digital 1TB Caviar black hard drives which I have connected to the 2 - 3GB/s SATA slots with intention of setting it up in RAID 0

Drive 4: 2x Western Digital 1TB Caviar black hard drives which I have connected to the 2 - 6GB/s Marvell SATA slots with intention of setting it up in RAID 0

I have a Synology Diskstation 1812 in their version of RAID 5 connected by LAN for backups.  I still need to figure out how I'm going to make that work though.

I plan to follow Harm's guidelines for disk usage as follows:

C: OS, Programs

D: Media, Projects

E: Pagefile, Media Cache

F: Previews, Exports

I already have the Samsung 840 pro for the C drive and I assume I should use the 2x WD Caviar Blacks on the 6GB Marvell SATA slots as the D drive.  Correct me if I'm wrong.  My ultimate question is, what should I use for the E and F drives? Which would benefit more from the smaller SSD on the faster connection.  Which would benefit more from the larger capacity on the slower connection?  Am I better off replacing the Plextor SSD with a single mechanical drive on the 6GB/s slot? If so, what should I use it for and what would be the ideal size and speed?  Media is from a Canon Vixia HF G10 and possibly from a DSLR in the future.  Purpose is for hobby/amature documentary.

Thanks for the help guys and gals!

Message was edited by: mellofello13

• 1. Re: How should I assign my drives?
          mellofello13 Level 1

So I did a little more digging and found that, although pagefile does not need a lot of space, it is not recommended to place it on an SSD drive.  I guess I have another option to simply add another mechanical drive to my current setup.  I have 1 3GB/s slot still available on my MB. I forgot to mention above that my projects will probably be limited to between 30 and 45 min in length.  I also plan to use the PC heavily for Photoshop and lightroom and a little bit of After Effects.

Soooo... which of the following options would you choose and how would you assign the drives?

Option 1 - Keep the configuration as is

Option 2 - Replace the Plextor SSD with a mechanical drive on the 6Gbps slot - which mechanical drive would you pick?

Option 3 - Keep the configuration as is and add a mechanical drive to the 3Gbps slot - which mech drive would you pick?

Whether it's adding or replacing with a mechanical drive, I was thinking either a larger WD caviar black, or a 1TB velociraptor.  Would the velociraptor be able to take advantage of the 6Gbps slot if it replaces the Plextor SSD?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Message was edited by: mellofello13

• 2. Re: How should I assign my drives?
            Harm Millaard Level 7

This is what I would do:

Drive 1: 256GB Samsung 840 pro connected to 6GB/s SATA slot: OS, programs & pagefile, even with Win7, mandatory for Win8

Drive 2: 256GB Plextor m5pro connected to 6GB/s SATA slot: Windows temp files, media cache

Drive 3: 2x Western Digital 1TB Caviar black hard drives which I have connected to the 2 - 3GB/s SATA slots with intention of setting it up in RAID 0: Exports & previews

Drive 4: 2x Western Digital 1TB Caviar black hard drives which I have connected to the 2 - 6GB/s Marvell SATA slots with intention of setting it up in RAID 0: Media & projects

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: How should I assign my drives?
              mellofello13 Level 1

Thanks for the feedback Harm.  I have one more 3GBps port available and was thinking of adding one more drive; SSD vs 1 TB velociraptor vs large caviar black or green, etc.

Based on what Harm recommended above and having one additional 3GBps port, if you could buy any drive/ssd, what would you get and how would you assign it?

Thanks!!

• 4. Re: How should I assign my drives?
                Harm Millaard Level 7

Don't you need the last SATA connection for a BD/DVD burner?

• 5. Re: How should I assign my drives?
                  mellofello13 Level 1

I have that plugged into a 3GBps port already.

Asus P9x79 Pro board

2 - 6GBps ports each with an SSD

2 - Marvell 6GBps ports have the 2x1tb RAID 0

4 - 3GBps ports - 2 have the other 2x1tb RAID 0 and 1 has the BD/DVD burner

• 6. Re: How should I assign my drives?
                    Harm Millaard Level 7

In that case another WD Caviar Black on the SATA 3G port for Exports, instead of on the raid0. It lowers the risk of losing the data due to disk failure and exports do not require huge bandwidth from the disk. The load is on the CPU/GPU during exports.

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: How should I assign my drives?
                      RjL190365 Level 4

Harm,

While I normally agree on this (but only if one has plenty of separate hard drive volumes and physical disks), it does not apply to my current system (at least with its current disk setup): In my testing, exports became significantly slower when I exported to a single disk than when I exported to a RAID 0. However, that is because with the disks that I have, there is no good place to put the media cache and previews (the 2TB RAID 0 is way, way, way overkill for a disk that is used just for media cache and previews since even thousands of such files take up only a few hundred megabytes to a few gigabytes in my particular case, while the other arrangements would have forced me to put the media cache/preview disk on the same disk as the media and project files or to a slower disk - both of the latter slow down performance significantly in my experience). I have a feeling that I either need more disks or need to replace some of my existing disks. In addition, I need larger-capacity single disks as the HD content I am currently working with often reaches several hours worth.

My current disk setup is as follows:

C: 128GB Crucial m4 connected to an Intel SATA 6.0 Gbps port (OS, programs, pagefile)

D: 2x Samsung F3 1TB hard drives connected to the Intel SATA 3.0 Gbps ports in RAID 0 (media, projects)

E: 2x WD Caviar Black 1TB hard drives connected to the Intel SATA 3.0 Gbps ports in RAID 0 (media cache, previews, exports)

As you can see, this setup clearly needs at least some improvement. It also forced me to connect the Blu-ray burner to the other Intel SATA 6.0 Gbps port (since the Marvell controller on my current Asus P8P67 Pro does not support ATAPI devices at all). Worst of all, the Marvell ports on that motherboard do not support RAID at all. And I am extremely leery about connecting any boot drives to the Marvell ports since I do not like certain third-party storage controller drivers messing up the stability of my PC. In addition, the Cooler Master CM690 II Advanced case has a SATA drive dock and an eSATA port - both of which take up two internal SATA ports on the motherboard (I used the two Marvell SATA ports for this purpose).

• 8. Re: How should I assign my drives?
                        Jeff Bellune Level 5

If previews will be used for export, then keeping the preview files on the same disk as the export files isn't a good idea.  The concept behind using preview files for export is to leverage the time spent rendering the previews during editing to make the export faster.  Preview files and export files on the same disk defeats that purpose.  Keep the preview files on the media disk.  Cases where this may come into play: drafts for client review, DV and lossless/uncompressed SD video, and lossless/uncompressed HD video.

If preview files won't ever be used for export, then keeping them on the same disk as the exports make sense, both from a disk space standpoint and from the standpoint that during the render of the previews, you will be reading from one disk and writing to another.  If the render is CPU-intensive, then the time saved using separate disks will be minimal, just as in the case above the loss of time reading and writing to the same disk would be minimal in a CPU-intensive render.

Jeff

• 9. Re: How should I assign my drives?
                          RjL190365 Level 4

Thanks, Jeff. I should not have listed "previews" when it is, indeed, the media cache being placed on the same disk as the media or projects that's slowing my system's performance down significantly - in some cases, by several hours (with multiple hour-long videos). I just tended to link both media cache and previews in the same group.

• 10. Re: How should I assign my drives?
                            Jeff Bellune Level 5

No worries.  My comments were more of a general nature rather than being directed specifically to your situation.  Previews + Exports on the same disk has been mentioned before, both here and elsewhere.  I only provided some things to consider before doing that.

Jeff