6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 17, 2013 9:50 PM by Netcommercial

? Using Time Stretch

Netcommercial Level 1

Hi Thanks for looking in,

I want to stretch a "motion background" I have. The file is a .mov file 29fps 1920x1080 10seconds in length.

I need 20 seconds or 200% out of it.

I tried to Create a new Comp with 23 seconds total (to accomodate the doubling of it)

I tried to select both on the time line (Right click) and above to "Stretch Time" Selected 200%

and manually set the time for 'double' (20.00 seconds) Yet no double time on the timeline?

Still sitting with a 10 second timeline?

What did I miss?

Thanks in advance. I followed the help section and parused previous posts but no luck.

Thanks in advance,

NetCommercial

• 1. Re: ? Using Time Stretch
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

After you chanage your composition settings make sure you zoom the timeline to see the entire length of the comp. The controls are at the bottom of the timeline.

Screen Shot 2013-01-15 at 9.40.20 PM.png

Once you see the entire timeline you should see a clip that's 20 seconds long.

• 2. Re: ? Using Time Stretch
            Netcommercial Level 1

Nope same dealio Amigo... That is not the case.

I opened a new 'comp'

set the time to 23. sec

imported my .mov file which is 10.sec

dropped in the little icon to set the timeline with the same parameters.

Imported fine. Plays fine. Right clicked on timeline as described above

yet to no avail, I am still sitting at 10 seconds in my time line...

Here is a snip of my options: See increase in duration. This is me doing

it a second time, yet notice the timeline is still at 10 sec?Capture.PNG

• 3. Re: ? Using Time Stretch
              Andrew Yoole MVP & Adobe Community Professional

The dialog box in your screengrab will change the duration of your layer, but not the composition.  Your composition is 10 seconds long. 

Go to Composition Settings and define the duration of the comp as 23 seconds.

• 4. Re: ? Using Time Stretch
                Netcommercial Level 1

Notice the third line in my original post.... I did indeed create a "new comp with more then needed"

I found out what it is though. After stretching it with the 'right click' I need then to select my 'new comp'

on the RHSide

-Lableled NewComp1-

Thanks for your help on this. it was a matter of ME not selecting the NewComp created when I "stretched the timeline"

Duh...LOL!

• 5. Re: ? Using Time Stretch
                  Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Did you see the part of my post that said change composition settings? No need to make a new one, just change the comp settings. Ctrl/Cmnd + K will do it.

• 6. Re: ? Using Time Stretch
                    Netcommercial Level 1

@Rick G the "No need to make a new one." Is a lot like reading a bomb diffuse manual that states: "Cut the Blue wire.... But not before the yellow wire!" LOL!  I was doing it kinda backwards is why I had a bit of a challenge.

Steps to do it are:

Open AE

Import file

Drop file onto ICON to create Comp.

Use shortcut "CNTRL K" to modify Comp length to desired time amount.

THEN Right click and adjust Time settings in percentage desired.

My post of:

I tried to Create a new Comp with 23 seconds total (to accomodate the doubling of it) <---- Right there was my problem! Do not Create a New Comp.  Change the comp settings after it's created from Drop in. THEN stretch it.

The whole challenge was because I was creating a NEW Comp before dropping my file on the timeline and letting AE create the Comp and THEN adj parameters.

Thanks for the shortcut of  "CNTRL K"