8 Replies Latest reply on Jan 17, 2013 7:12 AM by bouldr

Insert new page/text frame into existing thread

bouldr

Hi,

I've got an Indesign document which has several pages.

Every single text frame on each page is linked (threaded) to the next one.

Now i've added an extra page inbetween two threaded pages, when i try to insert the new page to the existing threads (drag from Out port to In port) a problem occurs.

Because what happens is that not only a new connection is created but also the entire content of another page is pasted on top of my newly created page. (strangely this content isn't even from the page where i start from the Out port)

I also tried to delete all connections which exist (the idea was to make a completely new thread then), but when i do so some pages become blank.

So not only threads are deleted but also content.

I'm pretty new to Indesign so maybe i'm doing something wrong or stupid, but if anyone has got a clue what could be the problem here i would be very happy with it

Thanks already and best regards!

• 1. Re: Insert new page/text frame into existing thread
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Your use of "drag" bothers me. It might just be the way youare describing it, or you might be making an error.

Click the outport of the frame before the empty and release the mouse. Click inside the empty frame.

• 2. Re: Insert new page/text frame into existing thread
            bouldr Level 1

Hi Peter,

Thanks for your reply.

I probably didn't describe it very well ;-)

Because the way i make the connection is the way you describe it.

Must be something else then i guess.

Thanks again.

• 3. Re: Insert new page/text frame into existing thread

Can you post some screen shots?

Note that you should click the loaded cursor inside the empty frame, away from any guides, not on the in port.

• 4. Re: Insert new page/text frame into existing thread
                bouldr Level 1

Hi Peter,

Yes, i do it that way, only difference is is that the frame is not empty.

But as you can see below instead of only a link, there is a full page content pasted on top of the new page i try to insert.

And it is content that does'nt even exist on the source page (where i start from the out port) nor on the destination page (the new one which i try to insert).

screenshot.JPG

Thanks again!!!

• 5. Re: Insert new page/text frame into existing thread

Can you show us what you see before trying to link the frames?

• 6. Re: Insert new page/text frame into existing thread
                    bouldr Level 1

Ok, i'll describe what i try to do:

Let's say my document has 20 pages.

I need to make a new page somewhere in the middle of the document, let's say i want to make a blank new page 5, so this means i want to insert this in between page 4 and the former page 5 (which will become page number 6 after insertion of the new page.)

After insertion i populate the page with content (tables, images, text etc.).

At this point there is no threaded connection between page 4 and page 5 (only between page 4 and page 6), so i need to include my new page to the thread so if text is been added on page 4 that the content scrolls down to page 5.

So in fact it's pretty simple what i want to achieve, problem is that when i click the out port of page 4 and drop it in the text frame of my new page 5, that not only a link is being made but that a complete page content is being pasted.

I just tried (in a copy of my document of course) to delete all existing links and start all over again, but again: when i make a linked connection inbetween text frames a full page content is being pasted as well.

I hope this is something easy, that i make a very "noob" and stupid mistake cause this is driving me wild!

Thanks very much again Peter!

Best regards.

• 7. Re: Insert new page/text frame into existing thread

OK, I think maybe I understand the problem. Your're trying to add new content into the middle of an existing thread, right?

On the blank page you want an empty frame. Rethread, as described, through this blank frame and your content will flow backwards into it. NOW add your new content, either directly in the text flow, or do it on the pasteboard and cut and paste into the flow where it belongs. There is no way I know to insert a populated frame into the middle of a thread.

• 8. Re: Insert new page/text frame into existing thread
                        bouldr Level 1

Hi Peter,

It turns out that we both are right.

You with your solution, and me about being a noob making a stupid mistake 

Thank you very much Peter, it's such a relief!

I knew it should be possible somehow, i just didn't know haw exactly, but now i do

Thanks again and kind regards.