5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 16, 2013 11:53 AM by whsprague

Premiere Elements 11 - SmartSound

pablotibis

Hello, I recently bought premiere elements 11 for MAC, I use SmartSound, there are free track? or are they all paid?, is there any other website or for free download track which could serve with SmartSound?

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements 11 - SmartSound
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Open SmartSound and check the option Owned by Me. Uncheck the rest.

You get something like 8 themes free.

These themes aren't just songs, however. As I show you in my books and tutorials, each theme includes several variations and styles as well as the option to mix the instrumentation and create a music clip at the exact time length you specify.

• 2. Re: Premiere Elements 11 - SmartSound
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

As Steve points out, there ARE several "sample" music files, and most have several variations.

Now, the SmartSound "library," is vast, and grows every quarter, with more music being added. There are several "types" of SmartSound music, and some of those offer many more variations. This article covers some of those: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4912568#4912568

Note: when that article was originally written, the SmartSound plug-in for PrE was a bit different. With about PrE 9 (?), instead of the old QuickTracks plug-in, SmartSound began including their Sonicfire Pro, instead. There is also a Sonicfire Pro Scoring Edition, that is even more powerful, but is not free. That Scoring Edition is an extremely powerful tool, when used with the SmartSound Multi-Track music.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Premiere Elements 11 - SmartSound
              whsprague Level 4

Perhaps I can add a little to Steve's and Bill Hunrts comments.

I have PrE 11 on a PC.  I assume it works the same on a Mac.  The internet, and maybe even your computer, is full of music that ranges in price from free, up.  Even Vimeo has music you can use.  SmartSound did not work for me when I first tried it.  I might like it better if I tried it again.  I guess my main problem was how it wanted to install stuff on my computer that I didn't expect. 

Instead of SmartSound, I bring the music files into the project exactly like I do with a clip.  ( Add Media > Files and Folders then drop to the Timeline in one of the audio tracks.)

Once on the Timeline, the various audio controls built in to PrE 11 can manipulate the audio to your taste.

I have not tried it in the Quick Edit mode, so I don't how that would work.

Copywrite issues do confuse me a little.  Relatively new is a concept called "Creative Commons" that, when the artist says it is OK, you can use his/her creative work in your creative project if you put it in the credits.  If you intend to make money with your video, the rules can change. 

I keep a folder that I add music to when I find some I like.  I keep a text file with music track information so I can apply the proper credit.

Bill

• 4. Re: Premiere Elements 11 - SmartSound
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Bill,

Sorry to hear that you did not fall in love with SmartSound initially. When I first encountered it, with about Pinnacle Studio 5, many years ago, I was wow'ed. It became my "go-to" source for music.

That worked very well for many years, and my SmartSound library grew. Then, I discovered Sonicfire Pro (before it became part of PrE and PrPro, and was really hooked. With about Sonicfire Pro 5, they added the Scoring Edition, and as I already had many of their Multi-Track discs, the power was totally intoxicating. Now, almost every Project that I do, has some form of SmartSound in it.

Not sure what you are referring to, about SmartSound installing "stuff," as I guess that I have just accepted that, as part of the package, and have never had any issues.

For the various Libraries, I subscribe to SmartSound's e-mail newsletter, and about once per quarter, they have a "sale." Over the years, I have accumulated about 150 of their discs, and while some do not see that much use, others have become my "favorites," for certain types of soundtracks - especially the Multi-Track discs, with Sonicfire Pro Scoring Edition.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - this article is a growing list of some music and SFX sources - some free, some for pay: http://forums.adobe.com/message/3322049#3322049

Note: I have used some, but certainly not all, so cannot vouch for many.

• 5. Re: Premiere Elements 11 - SmartSound
                  whsprague Level 4

"Not sure what you are referring to, about SmartSound installing "stuff," "

I think it was two years ago with PrE 9.  I guard against unknown extras that I can't control.  At the time I had never heard of SonicFire and I think that is what installed when I wasn't looking. 

It is time to take another look!

Bill