Do you want to have 1k pages (with an individual name, individual page properties, etc.) or do you have 1k pieces of information (nodes) you need to display on demand? Your requirements are not exact here.
1) It's nearly impossible to work on a list of 1000 pages and to choose the right one you want to edit. You need to structure it more, if your users should work with that on a daily basis.
2) How should your authors change the data on these nodes?
3) Change the design (/etc/design)? This setting is inherited down the tree.
1.a I do not necesarily need to have 1k+ pages, for the 1k+ nodes I considered using a dynamic page to display information from a single node but then how would I attach a workflow to each edited piece of informatio, since my understanding is cq attached the workflow to a page.
1.b. I need to have all these pages have the same url strucutre, If I organize them further into sub folders how can I achieve the same url structure?
2. I have considered giving them a simple form which allows them to edit a node and then programatically publish it.
3. a design would still have to be created by a developer. I want to give nontechinical authors the ability to change the layout and have that change propagate to all the children