that's an operating system error, not a flash error.
google your error message and see what others have done to fix the problem.
I've been doing that for 3 weeks now. All examples of 'Windows cannot find ....' deal with opening Access or Excel database files, or Word .doc files so the 'fixes' all involve those apps and reg entries for them (btw- I don't even have Access or Excel, and Word is working fine) Nothing about fla files. As far as the OS goes - it's all new - no chance for stuff to 'go wrong' yet. Besides - it the same OS as one of my laptops - both have all updates etc applied. Thankx
you can open flash, click help>deactivate, uninstall it, and re-install and re-activate.
I had already done that the first time (with no results), which finally led to a full format of the hdd and then reinstalling the OS itself (and then reinstalling everything else), again - with no results. Thankx again
Noticed a 'typo' in my main post: The line: (as did THIS Win XP-SP3 pc until about a week ago),
should really say: (as did THIS Win XP-SP3 pc until about 3 weeks ago),
As you know Flash 8 was a Macromedia product. They don't exist anymore - being absorbed by the all powerful, all seeing, all knowing Adobe Systems (sort of reminds me of the BORG on Star Trek - you know 'Resistance is futile').
I tried literally everything - to no avail. Since I did try everything - up to and including a complete HDD full format and OS reinstall (which only accomplished deleting several days of my life that I'll never get back) I have come to the conclusion that it must be something inherent in the program that only affects installations performed after 12/31/12.
My 2 laptops have no issues because the program has been on them for years and has never been reinstalled, but I would be willing to bet if I had to reinstall it on them I would start getting the same problem (since it's now past 12/31/12).
On 12/31/12 Adobe did something in a way 'similar' to CS2 owners by rendering the activation of CS2 products inoperative. I found this out the hard way after I had just reinstalled everything while trying to deal with this issue. I had to spend hours on the phone to finally get the news from 'Dave' in Indonesia that Adobe decided to just arbitrarily render their CS2 customers paid-for software obsolete and inoperative! (Out of fairness they DID provide 'replacement' apps that don't require activation - thus avoiding MEGA lawsuits).
Anyway - I'm just saying that software makers can build anything into their product, including date specific limitations without the consumer ever being aware of it.
With the exception of this issue it otherwise works fine, and I guess I'll just have to deal with it from now on by dbl-clicking on Fla files TWICE instead of once - otherwise affectionately known as 'quadruple-clicking', (but if you count closing the error window then it's 'quintuple-clicking').
I don't mind being proven wrong - so if somebody out there knows what is going on here (besides my theory of software developers time limitations resulting in complete world domination) feel free to reply. I'll get an email telling me someone replied and I'll come to this post and have a look.
(suggestions to reinstall will be ignored - been there, done that)
I checked out the regsrv stuff. Everything was already OK. Thankx anyway.