8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 15, 2016 3:01 PM by leonardop6161849

Table text won't align to baseline grid

timgavin Level 1

Hi all,

I've got a text heavy document for which I've set up a basline grid which is working fine, except when I have to put in some simple text tables because the text inside the tables isn't aligning to the baseline grid...and I can't work out why.

Any thoughts? I'm using CS6 if that helps.

• 1. Re: Table text won't align to baseline grid
          Joel Cherney Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Not yet - I just tested it over here in CS6, seems to be working.

Are you applying Align to Baseline Grid by clicking the button on the toolbar, or in a paragraph style?

Did you make the table in InDesign or did you place/import it from another format? (like Word or XML)

Have you tried aligning table text to baseline grid in a brand-new document to see if it's a problem with just your one text-heavy doc?

Was your text-heavy doc made fresh in CS6, or created in a previous version of InDesign and up-converted to CS6?

Have you tried exporting to IDML and re-importing?

(In case you can't tell, I'm grasping at straws over here but I do have a genuine hunch that there might be something about the document that is causing this, which is why I suggest trying it in a fresh doc/IDML export.)

• 2. Re: Table text won't align to baseline grid
            Les ONeill Level 2

Tables have cells which in turn have 'padding' (space above and below the text line/s proper) so I'm suspecting this may be your problem?

• 3. Re: Table text won't align to baseline grid
              timgavin Level 1

I think the problem might have been that I was putting the tables into the whole flow with all the other text. I seperated out the tables from that, put them in a new text frame and now it seems to be working...a bit of a chore but its the only way I can get it to work.

Thanks for your help and advice guys.

• 4. Re: Table text won't align to baseline grid
                Les ONeill Level 2

Glad you got it working Tim. I set a lot of tables in academic journals where the tables often span (full text block width) what is otherwise a double column format and I've always found it easier to seperate them out from the main text and not get too precious about baseline alignment for tables. Just make sure the text flow proper aligns to the grid and all will be forgiven! Example attached minus running heads to give an ideaScreen shot 2013-01-17 at 11.55.32 PM.png

• 5. Re: Table text won't align to baseline grid
                  GaboDelgado Level 1

hi! 3 years later, but i stumbled upon the same problem today, and after testing i think i got the answer.

Try changing the Baseline Preferences in Preferences > Grids, in the Relative To menu, choose Top of Page.

• 6. Re: Table text won't align to baseline grid
                    Laubender Adobe Community Professional & MVP

gabodelgado wrote:

hi! 3 years later, but i stumbled upon the same problem today, and after testing i think i got the answer.

Try changing the Baseline Preferences in Preferences > Grids, in the Relative To menu, choose Top of Page.

Hm. What is your exact version of InDesign on what OS?

I'd like to test this. Though I never worked with a baseline grid for table contents.

Regards,
                    Uwe

• 7. Re: Table text won't align to baseline grid
                      GaboDelgado Level 1

It worked in CC and Windows 10. I redesigned the whole thing and noticed the exact moment when the content in the table misaligned. It was when I changed the baseline preferences to Relative to Margin.

• 8. Re: Table text won't align to baseline grid
                        leonardop6161849 Level 1

Hi, Tim  I was find answers to this exact problem. I want make the tables runs attached to the text. I try this: Select in Window / Type & Tables / Tables f9. Make table style: whatever and configure the style to table setup to table space to 0 (zeros) Default is 4 and -4.

that work for me in cs6 Indesign.

Best regards.

Leo

Information Design

Screen Shot 2016-10-15 at 4.58.10 PM.pngScreen Shot 2016-10-15 at 4.58.20 PM.png