3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 18, 2013 10:23 AM by ECBowen

RAID - internal or external?

sebrame Level 3

It's time to build a new machine for my CS6 platform, and I'm busy trying to assimilate all of the information out there, and there's a lot of it! After studying the benchmarks, I'm leaning toward something in the realm of "Harm's Monster", well...probably not as many drives in my RAID, but maybe close! We typically edit AVCHD media on PPro CS6 and some light AE work.

I'd love to hear the pros and cons of both a separate RAID card, onboard RAID controller, and external RAID boxes, such as from G-RAID.

Thanks!

Steve Brame

ci Productions

• 1. Re: RAID - internal or external?
          Harm Millaard Level 7

There have been some recent posts about disappointing performance from G-Raid.

My perspective is that internal is easier (everything in one case, if the case is big enough), less costly (there are very few controllers offering more than 4 external connections), less prone to cables getting loose or tripped over,

The only affordable AND high performance connection for external raids is over SFF-8088. eSATA, USB3,  GbE, all are just too slow.  Fibre is too costly IMO.

• 2. Re: RAID - internal or external?
            Alex - DV411 Level 2

External storage does bring some advantages:

1. Better portability and fault tolerance for the system as a whole: if the computer (motherboard, PSU, etc.) is down, the storage box can be connected to another system and you can keep working
            2. Expandability: internal expansion is limited; external - virtually unlimited (with SAS Expanders)
            3. Monitoring: individual drives' activity / fault indicators; array status; those may or may not be available with internal storage
            4. Upgrade-ability: you can upgrade your the main system's chassis w/o touching the storage box
            5. Service-ability: if you do need to have the storage box sent out for service, it'll be much easier if it's external.

Disadvantages: cost.  A good quality 8-bay SAS Expander with a RAID HBA (ARC-1882x): ~$2.3K not including drives. 16-bay - $3K.

Usual advantages of a separate RAID card: performance, advanced RAID modes (RAID6) and features (global hot spares, auto-rebuilding, background initialization, battery backup, caching).

HTH.

• 3. Re: RAID - internal or external?
              ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

SAS has the same performance whether internal or external though the external does cost more with the storage box. I assume you meant the others excluding SAS. The other benefit to external SAS is the ability to chain multiple External SAS boxes together. The Intel raid controller supports 4 SAS connections deep. With 16 Bay SAS units, that is a massive amount of storage that could not be configured internal.

Eric

ADK