5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 16, 2013 2:12 PM by Peter Spier

Breaking a Spread Apart?

johnd59898678 Level 1

I just received an InDesign Document and I have never seen this configuration before?

It is a layout for a Tradeshow booth that has 4 vertical panels that butt up next to each other seamlessly when the booth is put together.

The Document Set-Up shows 4 Pages at 29.5"wide x 91" high / Facing Pages / No Bleed? Document has a Singe A-Master Page with no elements on the master.

(1) When I look at the pages palette, all 4 pages are combined together into a single spread? How do I break those pages apart into 4 individual pages again? Not sure if they ever were 4 "individual" pages in the beginning as I see single text blocks in the document that span across all 4 pages? If I uncheck "Facing Pages" in the Document Setup, I get a dialog that says "One or more spreads are set to keep their pages together. Do you want to maintain the current number of pages on these spreads?" No matter whether I say OK or not I don't see anything changing in the pages palette?

(2) The design they sent me has a bunch of text overlapping the gaps on all 4 panels (i.e.it looks like they added text blocks "across" pages within the spread). I have never tried that before as I am not sure how that would work needing bleeds on all individual pages? It of course looks fine with all 4 pages jammed together in one spread, but the panels will be printed one at a time and the printer usually requires 1/4" bleed on all sides. So how is that accomplished when the text overlaps the gaps?

Thnaks for any assistance!

• 1. Re: Breaking a Spread Apart?
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

You may not really want to break these apart. Are the images discreet, or do they also cros the panel boundaries? A screen shot might be very helpful at this point.

• 2. Re: Breaking a Spread Apart?
            johnd59898678 Level 1

Peter,

Here is a screen shot.

As you can see, for instance, the white text in the middle crosses all the page boundaries since it was apparently added in the "spread" - so how could a bleed be added to each page doing it that way?

Also, how do you get (4) pages to form a single spread in InDesign as they did?

TCSS_sm.jpg

• 3. Re: Breaking a Spread Apart?

Getting 4 pages into a spread is pretty easy. You turn off "shuffling" in Pages panel.

I think this is going to be a nightmare to print. Does each of the panels have its own frame, or do they butt together tightly in some way without frames?

The bottom half, including the reversed type that crosses all four panels could be done by exporting to PDF and including a bleed, which would just be the edge of the adjacent page (except the extreme left and right edges which you would need to add) and the text would appear correctly on all panels, but you have color breaks at the panel lines on the top half, so you would, in theory want to split the spreads and add the bleed between which means you would need to select the text and the large background image, copy, and "paste in place" on any panel where they disappear after splitting the spread. With shuffling disabled you can split the spread just by grabbing a page iin the Pages panel and dragging it away from its mates until you see a vertical line in the panel. I think if you do that you may also find you need to switch to non-facing pages to keep the text and background from doubling up (I haven't tried doing this before posting with this particular arrangement).

Frankly, before going further I would contact the printer and show him what you have to see how he wants you to proceed.

• 4. Re: Breaking a Spread Apart?
                johnd59898678 Level 1

Peter,

I think your suggestions are right-on. I followed the steps yoy outlined and I think this will work.

I usually use Illustrator to create panels like this - I have never tried a multi-panel layout for a booth in InDesign.

All the printer told me, was to send them the InDesign file and they would manually fix everything on their end, but I would feel better if I gave them something that was already ready to go.

These 4 panels will be printed one at at time. They ask for a 1/4" bleed on all sides of each panel. They will touch each other without any frames.

Thanks for the suggestions!

• 5. Re: Breaking a Spread Apart?

I used to work in a large format output service, and I'd be really tempted to send the PDFs (without splitting the spreads) without any bleed to force them to trim accurately, IF and only if they will be mounted separately. Second choice, I think would be unsplit spread with bleeds, so it's probably OK to send it as is if you are willing to send the native files.

If they are going to be printed as panels, then mounted on a single board I would send the PDF with bleed from the unsplit spread so they can overlap and trim together, or send one huge PDF and let them tile it on their end in the RIP.